Which generator? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Which generator?

I dont know the Adendorf Gennie, but for me personsally I would never touch anything Ryobi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Agreed. Go for petrol but also go for a proper brand such as Honda. Expensive I know but it will outlast enything available. Google Genpower

I have a 7 KvA Honda (petrol), that I have bought from Genpower (012 327 3329) in 2015. Used it Saturday night again with load shedding. I can run my whole household from it. It is build into a noise reduction case. They also fitted a bigger petrol tank.
    I did pay about R30 k for it, but it is worth every cent. It has automatic start, not auto switch over (that is done manually) , as well and the battery is still working. Very fuel efficient.

My company (Mainsu) focuses on supplying, installing, commissioning, servicing and repairing of premium brand Generator and Photo Voltaic (PV) systems and ancillary equipment. We start at 1kVA/kW (inverter gensets) up to synchronized multi-mVA plants.
    Please visit my website (www.mainsu/co.za) where you will find various brands c/w prices & specs.
    Some comments:
    - the typical small sets (excl inverter sets) run 3000 - 3600, even the smaller diesel sets;
    - single phase sets's power factor is 1,0 where 3-phase is 0,8 (lagging); this means for single phase 5kA = 5kW (Addendorfs info is misleading);
    - all non-turbo sets can be de-rated by 20% for elevation, temp & humidity); the small petrol/diesel engine are, after all, just small internal combustion engines. EG for a typical 5kVA/kW you will then have 4kW running at 100% (max) capacity.
    - we recommend you operate these, for stand-by applications, at 30% - 70% of the de-rated capacity. Less than 30% you could end-up with glazing (mechanical issues) and > 70% mechanical and/or electrical issues in long-run.
    - you can add some "muti" from Midas/Liquid Molly to prevent algae etc if you do not use diesel set that often.

We have a great silent (weather proofed) 7,5kVA petrol genset with push & pull-start, backed-up by the same company selling to Massmart (Builders), Agrinet & Chamberlains. R15k (excl VAT). Alternatively, if budget allows, look at the Honda but they are very thirsty engines and parts are expensive.

Feel free to contact our office if you need any assistance; we supply nationawide (at extra cost) and can do a full turnkey in Pta area.

My email: fanie@mainsu.co.za
    Office: sales@mainsu.co.za
    Fanie Swart
    2011 Land Rover Discovery HSE
    1998 Land Rover Defender 110 2.8i
    2016 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2.2L
    Ex: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 (L39)
    Ex: 2009 Tuna D4D (donated to criminal)
    Ex: 2008 Toyota RAV T180 DCAT (Europe spec)

Facta non verba

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fanie S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by altapjs View Post
    ***** It is build into a noise reduction case. *****
    Can you possibly elaborate on this please? Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Ellis View Post
    Can you possibly elaborate on this please? Pics?

Mine looks exactly like this link.

http://www.genpower.co.za/product/ho...-proof-canopy/
    Last edited by altapjs; 2018/06/18 at 09:29 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to altapjs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fanie S View Post
    My company (Mainsu) focuses on supplying, installing, commissioning, servicing and repairing of premium brand Generator and Photo Voltaic (PV) systems and ancillary equipment. We start at 1kVA/kW (inverter gensets) up to synchronized multi-mVA plants.
    Please visit my website (www.mainsu/co.za) where you will find various brands c/w prices & specs.
    Some comments:
    - the typical small sets (excl inverter sets) run 3000 - 3600, even the smaller diesel sets;
    - single phase sets's power factor is 1,0 where 3-phase is 0,8 (lagging); this means for single phase 5kA = 5kW (Addendorfs info is misleading);
    - all non-turbo sets can be de-rated by 20% for elevation, temp & humidity); the small petrol/diesel engine are, after all, just small internal combustion engines. EG for a typical 5kVA/kW you will then have 4kW running at 100% (max) capacity.
    - we recommend you operate these, for stand-by applications, at 30% - 70% of the de-rated capacity. Less than 30% you could end-up with glazing (mechanical issues) and > 70% mechanical and/or electrical issues in long-run.
    - you can add some "muti" from Midas/Liquid Molly to prevent algae etc if you do not use diesel set that often.

We have a great silent (weather proofed) 7,5kVA petrol genset with push & pull-start, backed-up by the same company selling to Massmart (Builders), Agrinet & Chamberlains. R15k (excl VAT). Alternatively, if budget allows, look at the Honda but they are very thirsty engines and parts are expensive.

Feel free to contact our office if you need any assistance; we supply nationawide (at extra cost) and can do a full turnkey in Pta area.

My email: fanie@mainsu.co.za
    Office: sales@mainsu.co.za
    No server at that URL.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    No server at that URL.
    Same problem here

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    No server at that URL.
    Try http://mainsu.co.za/.
    2009 Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon

I sometimes think that there is a lot of overthinking when it comes to solving load shedding problems.

Firstly the geysers are a non issue unless your power is out for a lengthy period, like 12 - 24 hours, this hardly ever happens and if it does it's not load shedding. A gas hob is an easy install, better to cook on and more cost effective than an electrical hob, that sorts supper. Lights/TV. A 7,5 KVA Ryobi generator will take care of lights/TV in a house unless you like to switch everything on including geysers, fish pond, swimming pool etc. It might cope but it will work hard in a house full of people. How hard is it to switch off the non essential plugs?

I am following this thread hoping to step up from my current work around which is gas hob, solar light jars and gas camping lights with a few candles and an Ellies 1200W inverter to run the TV and perhaps charge a phone or run a computer. We are only two living in the house and the inverter noise is an irritation.
    We Live in a world where social media is overriding professional journalism and scientific research as our source of information about the world around us.
    Garth Owen-Smith

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steady For This Useful Post:

Hi, I am moving away from my Farm on the End of the Month. I will sale my Generator HONDA EG 6500 CX
    lile New, only ca. 25 hrs running Time, made 20 hrs Service with Dealer in PTA.
    New Price R.18'000 + selling for R.12'500. My e-mail mistlo@vodamail.co.za
    mobile 0818298961
    Regards Stefan

On the silent running enclosed gennies be careful.My son lives in Pta in a estate that only allows silent gennies.He had one installed by one of the companies mentioned here.Very quite.On a hot day in Pta the thing overheated!!The full installation was done by them and the only way they managed to solve the problem was by running the box with doors openIt was a petrol unit.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiscoFrans For This Useful Post:

I have a Grip 7.5 Kva from builders-probably the same as the Makro, Game etc Chinese brands-for 5 years. One problem, fixed at the Lawnmovers shop. Battery replaced last month. Runnning on one phase of my house, if required. Had it for 5 years. used regularly druring loadshedding and all so recently. For the price-no complaints! Served me well! Wifes is hapyy-happy wife is happy life.
    Ben

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BenBotha For This Useful Post:

Which generator? I'd say no generator, unless you are a doomsday prepper or maybe worrying about making a contingency plan for a transformer blowup like happened in Melville a few years ago and power was off for almost 2 weeks.

There is really no such thing as a silent generator unless you spend a LOT of money on a professionally sound attenuated enclosure that will silence the set while still allowing sufficient airflow. Remember everything is VERY much quieter during a power outage and even a "silent" generator can be heard by your neighbours and they will complain, let alone in a snooty upmarket complex where they are typically less than 5M away from your generator. And why should they have to put up with your noisy generator anyway?

You do not need to run geysers, stoves, fridges etc during a typical 4 hour load shedding outage so why 6,5kVA or more power to run a minimal load requirement. All one really needs is a power source that can run your TV, internet, some 5W LED lights (or even 12V lights if you do not want to rewire your house) and power for any other entertainment you may want to use during the power failure.

Total up your real power requirement and buy a known brand 12/24V 800W odd inverter from an one of the 4x4 shops or from Sinetech or whoever and 2 or 4 x 105A/h batteries and a 7A Benton/Ctek charger and you are sorted with no noise or fuel cost penalty.

Don't waste your money on a generator that will stand and vrot because it will hardly ever be used.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Frontierfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by P1LGR1M View Post
    I am looking at a replacement for my cheap Chinese no-name generator, as it is far more hassle than anything else.

Currently I have shortlisted the following two, but which is the right choice?

1. Ryobi 7kVA Petrol https://www.makro.co.za/diy/ryobi-/b...rator-285367EA
    2. Mac-Afric 6.5kVA Diesel Silent https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...nerator-220-v/

This will be as a backup if/when Eskom drops the ball. The Ryobi looks similar to my old unit, but has wheels and key start. The Mac-Afric is diesel powered and comes with the housing to reduce noise. Are there any advantages/disadvantages for either one? Currently leaning towards the second one, mainly for the quieter operating.

Main use will be to run lights, alarm, some appliances, etc at home.
    Have you considered the Generac Gas Generator? We had the 50 Hz Automatic Standby Generac installed some 3 years ago. Keeps the whole house going when Eskom fails again (and again ... and again). Bundu supplies them. Some of the advatages are ... made in the USA, no fuel contamination, service interval of 2 years/200 hours, self testing (to keep battery charged), at least 10 db more quiet than petrol or diesel, etc. When we had it installed, we received 3 X 19 Kg gas cylinders with it and have not replaced them yet. It's clean, better than the Chinese alternative, and more cost effective.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to FrancoisJS For This Useful Post:

I have a Kipor 5.5kVA Digital generator. Much better than the normal ones, bit more expensive, but cheaper than replacing electrical equipment that you damage with a normal gennie that does not provide "clean" power. I used it for business, but it is actually to big for a household, and not very portable, weigh 100kg. Nice to run the entire house from, but do you really need to?

I'm going to buy the 2.5kVA unit now, for the house. You can carry it around and use it when camping or working in the field. Just put you lights and plugs on it, leave the stove and geyser off, and don't use the kettle.

http://kiporsa.co.za
    Dirk Lombard
    Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi (LowRange, Centre Diff, Rear Diff)
    Mercedes-Benz ML500 W163 (2"Lift, LowRange, Centre Diff)

These days, at least in our area, a generator is becoming a necessity more than a convenience. Our local useless municipality is corrupt, bankrupt and has recently been placed under administration. They have not touched any substations in probably 20y, except to do emergency repairs. In most subs, there is only one remaining transformer and set of switchgear (i.e. no redundancy), the rest has either been stripped for spares or stolen. I have been in many. HT cables are failing and transformers are too. 500 - 600kVA 11kV to 400V transformers are not just lying around at the nearest electrical retailer.

So, my 3kVA Honda is always ready. It will keep the freezers and fridges going. The rest can be managed.
    ZS6VL

Default Which generator?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontierfan View Post
    Which generator? I'd say no generator, unless you are a doomsday prepper or maybe worrying about making a contingency plan for a transformer blowup like happened in Melville a few years ago and power was off for almost 2 weeks.

There is really no such thing as a silent generator unless you spend a LOT of money on a professionally sound attenuated enclosure that will silence the set while still allowing sufficient airflow. Remember everything is VERY much quieter during a power outage and even a "silent" generator can be heard by your neighbours and they will complain, let alone in a snooty upmarket complex where they are typically less than 5M away from your generator. And why should they have to put up with your noisy generator anyway?

You do not need to run geysers, stoves, fridges etc during a typical 4 hour load shedding outage so why 6,5kVA or more power to run a minimal load requirement. All one really needs is a power source that can run your TV, internet, some 5W LED lights (or even 12V lights if you do not want to rewire your house) and power for any other entertainment you may want to use during the power failure.

Total up your real power requirement and buy a known brand 12/24V 800W odd inverter from an one of the 4x4 shops or from Sinetech or whoever and 2 or 4 x 105A/h batteries and a 7A Benton/Ctek charger and you are sorted with no noise or fuel cost penalty.

Don't waste your money on a generator that will stand and vrot because it will hardly ever be used.
    Point taken. Everyone has their own requirement. I stay in a free standing house so donít need to to report to a homeowners association.

Can power my whole house from my gen via a change over switch if need be so very convenient solution for me especially with a wife and 2 daughters.

If we can with 100% certainly predict how long our power outages will be then an inverter solution for home (not camping) will work for me. At times where we have been out for days or for weeks because if municipal infrastructure failures, the gen was perfect to run all appliances incl fridges, washing machines, geysers etc.

So maybe given the current electricity outlook, people should rather be taking a long term view to power entire houses for more than just 4 hours........ maybe a gen ? Maybe solar ?
    Last edited by Therackermann; Yesterday at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    On the silent running enclosed gennies be careful.My son lives in Pta in a estate that only allows silent gennies.He had one installed by one of the companies mentioned here.Very quite.On a hot day in Pta the thing overheated!!The full installation was done by them and the only way they managed to solve the problem was by running the box with doors openIt was a petrol unit.
    I have 2 trailer sets of a cell phone provider burn to the ground, a Gentek and Gen King King that nearly burnt out as well. The soundproof foam was cheap stuff and not fire retardant type. The foam gets glued in and with time it comes loose and then it falls onto the exhaust or turbo.
    Last edited by Geiler Keiler; Yesterday at 08:52 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3