Sani Pass - end of an era

Default Sani Pass - end of an era

My last trip up Sani Pass in April 2018 was a lot of fun, with the road being badly washed away in places, but then I was in a vehicle that was capable of handling it. The few plat karre that started the trip with enthusiasm, were reluctantly obliged to turn around before the RSA border post - but this is about to end.

Work on "upgrading" the road was well under way and for those like me who enjoy the rougher roads, it was clearly the indication of the end of an era. I believe the road is to be tarred up the the RSA border post. Not sure about what will happen after that.

Name:  A IMGP1784.JPG
Views: 521
Size:  552.3 KB

Default Re: Sani Pass - end of an era

In that state for more than 4 years now.
    Maybe there is traction on the project now.

We went up Sani Pass a couple of years back and had a great time.
    It was just before winter started. Bright sunshine, nippy wind, a perfect opportunity to eat homemade bread in the village a few miles past the Lesotho border post, and a great lunch and ales at the pub before venturing down again.

Even then there was talk of the whole pass being tarred, but due to inclement weather, delays with funding, credible contractors ect. it has never really gotten off the ground.
    Every few years they dig a couple of culverts, place pipes and nothing much after that.
    Perhaps next year just before elections the road building/ tarring will begin again.
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

The real challenge of Sani is during the winter months.
    I dare to say, the project once completed will make it more challenging, not less so - in winter time with snow\ice on the road.