How to wire in a DIY security ignition kill switch?

Default How to wire in a DIY security ignition kill switch?

I have a Honda CRV which has the older distributor type electronic ignition system, I just removed the useless autowatch alarm system and now that I have all the dashboard covers off around the ignition switch I want to wire in a kill switch that I can hide and use when parking in dodgy areas. I have one of those vehicles where an insurance payout after outright theft would not get me where I was before due to the low retail value, I would prefer to repair broken locks etc but try avoid an outright theft, a hidden kill switch isn't fool proof but it'll help.

What system can I use to wire in such a kill switch?

Last one I installed many years ago was on a Nissan 1400 with point's and condenser and I wired an ignition wire to ground controlled by the switch which made it impossible to start if the switch grounded it.

Default Re: How to wire in a DIY security ignition kill switch?

I had a look around Google and the easiest way to achieve the same end is to wire a switch(or switch to relay if it uses too much current) into the fuel pump power line, switch off - fuel won't pump fuel car will run for a short while and then die, switch on - car will run.

If you have a distributor, just remove the rotor inside the distributor. It has two clips to open it. No way that vehicle will start without a rotor. You can't put it back incorrectly as it's keyed.

Or, you can run a wire from the starter motor solenoid to a single pole single throw switch which you can locate anywhere in the vehicle. No way the starter will turn with the switch in the off position.

Or, you can run a wire from the coil input to a single pole single throw switch which you can locate anywhere in the vehicle. No way the vehicle will start with the switch in the off position.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

I normally do it with relays - kiss principle. You can daisy chain any amount of relays to this - so you can bypass fuel pump, spark, starter etc. It is a latching relay that needs power from the ignition - it will only unlatch when you switch off the ignition. You can hide the small push button switch anywhere - the switch must be rated for 0.5 to 1 amp. Most will do. I normally fit a 3amp fuse from the ignition then to the switch and relays.

I don't use led indicator lights anymore as the hijacker may see it and then ask for the override or cause him to rip open panels to search for the 'immobiliser'. On your ignition side I always leave the negative intact - I want a path for the voltage/current to go, so I would recommend that you disable the positive only. Somebody in the 90's said it was a cheap immobiliser to cut the negative - I replaced over 100 ignition modules because of that advice and had to repair the wiring.

If you do use your fuel pump circuit make sure you use the correct wire going to the fuel pump from the fuel pump relay. Do not bypass the safety circuit - easy way to check is to see if the pump primes and then switches off and then switches on again when you start. The pain with this system is if you forget to press the button and just turn on the ignition you must wait for the system to prime before starting - can waste a whole 2 seconds of your life. If it doesn't prime it will have hard starting. No issues if you press the button while switching on the ignition.

You only need two relays - a 5 pin change over and a normal 4 pin. If you want to break another circuit you can use another relay. On the 4 pin relay I normally use an offset one - in other words the terminals/pins are different - so when someone tries to bypass it it does nothing as most people know how to bypass a relay. I leave the pictures visible on the top or the side but underneath I grind away the pin numbers.

Bosch china and monark relays draw about 0.8A for both and hella china draw about 1 A. In addition to the above I fit a bonnet switch and siren also working through a 5 pin relay connected to the above.

My lapstop will only be back on Sunday so I couldn't draw it properly in cad......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HobieDave For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the handy tips guys, I think for my purposes the fuel pump will be the easiest one as I can get easy access to it on my vehicle and its located just behind the drivers seat

When I wire in something, I like for all the normal stuff to still be there. Lights must come on. She must crank, but just not fire.

That above diagram looks the beans.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    When I wire in something, I like for all the normal stuff to still be there. Lights must come on. She must crank, but just not fire.

That above diagram looks the beans.
    Its a good diagram. Id just add an override to it in case the relay I save some trouble if the relay becomes faulty while on holiday or trying to leave work or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Its a good diagram. Id just add an override to it in case the relay I save some trouble if the relay becomes faulty while on holiday or trying to leave work or something.
    I wired my sisters Golf like that, when she was a student, many moons ago. Just put a fuse holder in the cubbyhole, that did exactly that. If the fuse is in, the cutout is disabled. For servicing, etc.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

I was at a repair shop once and the guys could not get this Citi Golf started. They realised that there was a cut-out switch somewhere but could not find it.
    They phoned the owner and was told the one air vent had to point in a certain direction. The micro switch was fitted behind the air vent grill.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

On a diesel it's easy, break the power feed to the diesel pump.

You can crank till you or car is blue in the face.....no go and a very flat battery. Even push start won't work.

Edit: ole style diesel
    Last edited by Prof; 2018/06/13 at 05:52 PM.

I would prefer not to add the complication of a relay, I want to fit an inline switch in the fuel pump power line. My fuel pump circuit has a 15a fuse but seeing I will only be switching the circuit when unpowered could I use a switch rated at 125v 6a ac?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/06/14 at 01:34 PM.

Use a switch similar to this with suitable wiring for the amp rating - just remember you will have to manually switch it off when you want to disable the pump etc

http://www.4x4direct.co.za/switches/...tch&results=43

M2c worth would be a plus for fuel line.
    Rather let the car start and move for a while than have perps rip open dash looking.
    Perhaps more likely they'll run away if the car stalls on the open road.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.