Tyre fitting and wheel alignment

Default Tyre fitting and wheel alignment

Hypothetically speaking:

I own a bus company, and want to do my own tyre maintenance/fitment/alignment.

My question is whether I need to get my tyre bay employees declared competent by sending them to an accredited training provider? Is there any legal requirement on this?

If not....what happens if a bus ends up in a serious road accident and lives are lost due to poor tyre fitment issues or so

Any one have any background on this issue? I do know that Unit Standard does exist for this but can find nowhere where it says that a tyre fitter or wheel aligner must have a formal qualification
    Last edited by hdreyer; 2018/06/06 at 02:30 PM.
    Hennie

Pajerosport
    .308 CZ

Default Re: Tyre fitting and wheel alignment

Truck Tyre fitting can kill people. Check out Youtube. But yes staff can be trained to do it safely. Maybe send one of them to work at a tyre shop for a while....alignment can cost you a pretty penny (in worn tyres) but I wouldn't say it can kill anybody unless they forget to tighten the tie rods... ends.

My staff mostly received on the job training. For some I've hired a cosultant to train them (wheel alignment) There isn't requirements. If they qualify as alignment technicians you have to pay them accordingly.

If you want to send alignment guys for training. PM me and I'll pit you in contact with the right guys.

ps. The guys selling you the alignment machine will also put you in contact with a trainer...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tyre fitting and wheel alignment

Nitebob...thank you very much for this reply.

We already purchased the equipment, and is currently training our staff by making use of a local Tyre company.

Was just worried about the competency declaration issues. To me it would make sense to have a legal compliant declaration due to the dangerous nature of poor workmanship outcomes
    Hennie

Pajerosport
    .308 CZ