Land anchor question

Default Land anchor question

After a recent experience getting stuck where there were no trees or other anchor points within range, I purchased this land anchor

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1641496889

However although it looks good, trying it out, it's actually pretty difficult to get it to work right. So I got on youtube to see others using them, and they all seem to have similar problems.

So just wondering if anyone got any tips, knowledge, or better designs, you could share.

Default Re: Land anchor question

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi 4x4 View Post
    After a recent experience getting stuck where there were no trees or other anchor points within range, I purchased this land anchor

However although it looks good, trying it out, it's actually pretty difficult to get it to work right. So I got on youtube to see others using them, and they all seem to have similar problems.

So just wondering if anyone got any tips, knowledge, or better designs, you could share.
    When it works it can work well but that thing is big, bulky, heavy, and expensive!

The best land anchor, especially in deep sand, or on the beach, is a spare tyre. A spade is required as well as a some chain and an anchor strap, along with appropriate D-shackles. Obviously, the vehicle is equipped with a winch!
    All these things one should be carrying anyway!
    In other words no extra expense or weight...

It should not be too hard to find a YouTube video that demonstrates the technique. I have seen it demonstrated both on 4WD Action as well as Mr 4X4, but I do not have a ready link for you

Thanks, I am familiar with the spare wheel in sand method. Even though it's a lot of work LOL

However the situation I'm normally in is driving over muddy farm paddocks, burying the spare wheel would be way to much work far as I'm concerned I'm seeking a better way.

Thanks, I am familiar with the spare wheel in sand method. Even though it's a lot of work LOL

However the situation I'm normally in is driving over muddy farm paddocks, burying the spare wheel would be way to much work far as I'm concerned I'm seeking a better way.
    I think it is very likely that there is no free lunch here...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Jay For This Useful Post:

I've seen the small Danforth boat anchors used very efffectively in desert sand before. Start off with just the two sharp ends stuck in, and it digs itself in as the winch tightens.

Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

I have often wondered about this. What about heavy duty reinforcing rod (maybe with an eye and a piece of plate welded to the top) about 1m long with a 4 lb hammer. My experience with mud is often you just need a little bit of a pull to get you going. The biggest problem would be getting it out, as leaving it in the ground could be a problem for some one else.

Doing the Roof one year I learnt about a few short piece of old chain tied around the tire with "blou draad" but only works with drum brakes. Evidently they do this in snow in Europe. Once you are going the wire breaks and chain falls off.
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2018/06/06 at 06:53 PM.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Good ideas Tony and Sneaky Pete, I think both could work.

Of the two, banging in some rods will probably be the strongest. There is a you tube video where they bang in a series of rods linked by a chain. For me, I already have what we call over here fencing standards, they are a steel fencing post. I also have a standard rammer, and a standard extractor, so I could get them in and out of the ground.

Just, it's a bunch of gear I would have to carry. But if no better suggestions, that's what I'll do, far easier than burying the spare tyre.

However as a basically lazy guy , I'm still open to any other ideas if anyone has any!

Maybe after getting unstuck, to make extraction easier, drive over / up to the rod, getting pull as vertical a pull as possible and pull it out with the winch.

Maybe 2 or 3 A4 size steel plates that you can hammer in next to the steel poles if ground is very soft.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

https://www.history.com/shows/alaska-off-road-warriors

I watched the above series, this was the first time I had seen a land anchor used and these guys used it extensively. The technique that I remembered most was that as they started to winch, one guy would have some weight put on the anchor to start the downward travel, from there the thing just worked.

I think they are brilliant things.

Check from 1:00 on here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljttxWm7ixc
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Better than winching:

2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Something worth looking at is the Deadman Off-Road ground anchor

https://www.deadmanoffroad.com/
    Last edited by kmcoetzer; 2018/06/07 at 09:53 AM.
    2009 Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon

Excellent videos Stranger. That second one is the exact type of country that I'm usually in, even though I'm on the opposite side of the planet.

Got chains Jelo, they are good, but don't solve everything.

Kmcoetzer thanks for the deadman idea.

My problem is I'm usually on my own, and cannot use the winch, plus stand on the land anchor at the same time. So yesterday I bought a remote, and gotta say, I think the problem is solved. Had a bit of a play with it and now I can stand on the land anchor to drive it in, and use the remote to work the winch at the same time. In my trial anyway, it worked fine. Once I get the technology I'll do a video and post it.
    Last edited by Kiwi 4x4; 2018/06/08 at 12:47 AM.

Please do I would be interested in seeing that
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Last edited by The Condor; 2018/06/12 at 01:01 PM.

From 11000 to 19000 odd rand how do they justify that much
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.003, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

I have one of these.
    Absolutely useless if you are on your own and do not have a wireless remote for the winch
    Also it will just plow if the soil is loose or wet
    You have to get it in behind a bush or something that gives the soil substance and hold it together to create an area that grips.

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    From 11000 to 19000 odd rand how do they justify that much
    I have some units at reduced prices which is on par with their current prices ex USA. The shipping and taxes makes it expensive.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...55647061451896