R2 000 000 caravan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: R2 000 000 caravan

Glamping instead of camping

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blazerb2 For This Useful Post:

5 star glamping that !

what do you get to tow it comfortable up a rocky pass with other than a V10 diesel ?
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

think of the stress of trying to park it in a caravan park designed for vans half that size
    no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    5 star glamping that !

what do you get to tow it comfortable up a rocky pass with other than a V10 diesel ?
    It exceeds 4 tonnes fully loaded so you need something bigger than a touareg. Unimog or F650 etc.

I'd live in that. Permanently.
    Daily drive: 2017 Volkswagen cross up!
    Weekend toy: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Namibia platkar: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 2.5VNT RB
    Farm donkey: 2002 Toyota Hilux 3.0DE 4x4

R2,580,000...plus

2 holidays a year for 10 years. That is R258,000 to spend on 2 holidays a year, if one is lucky enough to have 2 holidays a year. Interest excluded on finance, however, I assume the person buying this has the cash to buy it, so no finance.

Probably by year 4 you will already be gatvol of slugging the Behemoth around and for the next 6 years try to find a buyer to pay you half that to take it off your hands, if you are lucky...

Is this just another Bugatti Veyron exercise? I do accept that they did sell quite a few Veyron's so I am sure there will be some of these sold, however, does it make an ounce of sense. Maybe just a "nice to have because I don't know what else to do with my cash" type purchase?

How much for the truck to haul that around?

If I may add.....

I did a poll about 6 years ago on one of the bigger Ozzy caravan forums. Turns out that about 95% of caravans in Australia is owned by people older than 60 years old.

I could not understand at first how the caravan scene worked here, but now I do.

Most families start out camping with a tent or camper trailer. The kids leave the house one day and then mom and dad gets a small caravan to do small trips.

But once retired most end up becoming ,what they call here, 'The Gray Nomad'.

Some sell their houses, some rent them out. They take the money and buy one of the following new: Land Cruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee, F150, F250 or Ford Ranger. All depends what size rig they buy. This might set them back about $120 000.
    They then get a fully kitted out caravan which also sets them back between $60 000 to $150 000. They usually buy this cash with the money they got from selling their house, investments that paid out or they simply remortgage their paid off house.

They then set off touring this massive island. Some go clock wise, others go anti clockwise. Some even rip straight through the middle..
    Trips can be anything from 1 month to 5 years each.
    Some tour around depending on the seasons and where there are good fishing to be had or a bit of snow even.
    Grand kids are flown in to visit them over the school holidays.

At any given time there are estimated to be more than 120 000 caravans touring around the country.
    There are free overnight camping facilities along all major roads. Most caravan parks also keep a couple of site sites open just in case a Grey Nomad comes wondering in at 3am looking for a spot to park for the night.

These caravans are set up to live in. Not just a weekend getaway.
    Some of the places they go is hundreds of kilometers off the tar roads and needs to be well built to endure the long stints on very corrugated roads driven mostly by road trains.

One day, when they can no longer travel, they sell the complete rig. Sure they loose a bit of coin, but the years of travel have long ago made up for the investment.

So ja, thats why these vans are so hellishly expensive and seem to be built over the top with extras.
    Last edited by jdjoubert; 2018/06/07 at 02:35 AM. Reason: spelling....eish
    No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdjoubert For This Useful Post:

I really like the Soul.
    “Give a man a mask, and he'll tell you deeper and darker truths. But he'll also be more abusive, unaccountable, and demonic.”

I can't see the point of such a tail.

To begin with, it can at best run on gravel road. It by no means can be an "off road" caravan as it is simply too big.

From another article, it apparently is over 4 tons so towing it you cannot do it with anything less than a Ford F250 kind of truck - which itself is too big to go on anything more than a mild off road trail.

And you probably need a nuclear power plant to feed all the systems you paid for, in there. The solar panels on the roof can keep the fridge running and that is it.

Sure, it looks impressive and it is very nice on the inside but hell if I have that kind of money then I would rather spend it to make the trip much longer.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

And once again the price tag gets converted to Rands , Yes at 2 bar its way over the top , at 200 k for them its not so craze , most " off road caravans here is way over 200k and no one is complaining at the price . For the Grey nomad Ozzy it makes perfect sense .
    We also had the Sahara caravans built here , 500 k and they very nice , but way to big . If the shoe fit why not?
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

Quote Originally Posted by jdjoubert View Post
    If I may add.....

I did a poll about 6 years ago on one of the bigger Ozzy caravan forums. Turns out that about 95% of caravans in Australia is owned by people older than 60 years old.

I could not understand at first how the caravan scene worked here, but now I do.

Most families start out camping with a tent or camper trailer. The kids leave the house one day and then mom and dad gets a small caravan to do small trips.

Some sell their houses, some rent them out. They take the money and buy one of the following new: Land Cruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee, F150, F250 or Ford Ranger. All depends what size rig they buy. This might set them back about $120 000.
    They then get a fully kitted out caravan which also sets them back between $60 000 to $150 000. They usually buy this cash with the money they got from selling their house, investments that paid out or they simply remortgage their paid off house.

They then set off touring this massive island. Some go clock wise, others go anti clockwise. Some even rip straight through the middle..
    Some tour around depending on the seasons and where there are good fishing to be had or a bit of snow even.

At any given time there are estimated to be more than 120 000 caravans touring around the country.
    There are free overnight camping facilities along all major roads. Most caravan parks also keep a couple of site sites open just in case a Grey Nomad comes wondering in at 3am looking for a spot to park for the night.

Some of the places they go is hundreds of kilometers off the tar roads and needs to be well built to endure the long stints on very corrugated roads driven mostly by road trains.

One day, when they can no longer travel, they sell the complete rig. Sure they loose a bit of coin, but the years of travel have long ago made up for the investment.

So ja, thats why these vans are so hellishly expensive and seem to be built over the top with extras.
    One day... when I'm all growed up!
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by jdjoubert View Post
    If I may add.....

This is exactly what I am planning for my retirement in South Africa - and according to lots of posts seen here, I suspect a lot of forum members will also follow the route
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie100 For This Useful Post:

We are already practicing whenever we can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie100 View Post
    This is exactly what I am planning for my retirement in South Africa - and according to lots of posts seen here, I suspect a lot of forum members will also follow the route

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerhardvr26 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    From another article, it apparently is over 4 tons so towing it you cannot do it with anything less than a Ford F250 kind of truck - which itself is too big to go on anything more than a mild off road trail..
    This popped up on my news feed this morning. They do a conversion on most ute’s and suv’s.

http://www.sixwheeler.com.au/six-whe...eler/tow-more/
    No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0