Engine bay or load bin, that is the question?

Default Engine bay or load bin, that is the question?

I intend fitting a dual battery system shortly and have the option of positioning the battery either in the engine bay or load bin (double cab).
    An aluminium canopy will be fitted soon and I will do the fitting out myself with various power off-take points, both 12v and 220v. There will also be a connection for solar charging.

What are the pros and cons of the battery either in the engine bay or load bin?
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM
    HAMNET
    2018 Toyota 2.4 GD6 SRX D/C 4x4 auto
    Land Rover Defender 110 Puma - sold
    Metalian Mini

Default Re: Engine bay or load bin, that is the question?

My thoughts,
    * Inside engine bay doesn't take up space in the load bin which is quite a big thing especially in a double cab.
    * Inside engine bay exposes the battery to a lot of heat which can't be good for it in the long run.
    * Depending on the type of charger you choose, DC/DC chargers generally don't like heat, which can be a problem if you want to mount in the engine bay.

Would be interesting to see other opinions, I'm personally quite 50/50 on this one.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.
    You probably heard people saying Africa is not for sissies. Well, neither is it for wussy equipment.
    Man who dies with most gear wins!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Load bin but as a portable unit that can easily be moved around, should the need arise.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4 (Currently in surgery)
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackie For This Useful Post:

I had the same problem last year.
    In the end I went with the load bin as most of the articles I read said that DC/DC chargers (well most of them) do not like the heat of an engine bay to much.
    I went with a permanent installation close to cab (shortest distance), mostly because I am to lazy to clamp it down or remove it all the time.
    Plus you do not want something that heavy in the load bin that is not secured, esp when doing a bit of 4x4.

But will be interesting to see what the experts say

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HiluxRoux For This Useful Post:

I used to have the second battery in the D/Cab load bin, and found it to be a nuisance. Also, I could use the space much better.
    Providing you have the space I will go for the engine bay option. However, first make sure you use a battery that can handle the heat. If you want to go for the engine bay, stay away from Lead Crystal - they cannot handle it. My battery sits in the engine bay, with the DC-DC charger under the dash behind the cubby, a very short distance away. I bought my battery second hand after it came to its replacement date in a cellphone tower, and it has now done 3 years under the bonnet, still doing its thing as if it was just installed. I also run a 45 L freezer in the car, and whilst driving I charge another battery in the caravan which powers a 90 L 12 volt compressor fridge. This caravan battery is a Lead Crystal.
    Last edited by Poen; 2018/06/04 at 09:29 PM.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

If your solar panel will be mounted permanently on the roof of the canopy, then engine bay could work. I found that for prolonged camping, mobile battery unit and non-fixed solar panel works best, gives you freedom to use the vehicle and also get optimal charge from sunlight - solar charging is in my view far more effective than car charging.
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
    Load bin in a battery box is my choice for maximum flexibility.
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM
    HAMNET
    2018 Toyota 2.4 GD6 SRX D/C 4x4 auto
    Land Rover Defender 110 Puma - sold
    Metalian Mini