GY Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure vs Wrangler AT/SA+

Default GY Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure vs Wrangler AT/SA+

Hi guys,

My bakkie has been running Good Year Wrangler AT/SA+ (245/70 R16 109T) for some years now, and overall I've been quite happy with these tyres, definitely better than the old Wrangler RT/SA "duds" that the bakkie came with (had them swapped out for the AT/SA due to issues with out of round and side to side wobble issues at 12k km). They are not at their min wear indicators just yet, but getting close and have been getting noisier over the last year or so. The other issue is that I am now all of a sudden starting to pick up punctures, which is apparently indicative of worn tyres (discovered a brass screw in the right front on Saturday - right rear had a nail puncture last year and a few months ago a simile looking brass screw which was just a flesh wound).

Now I see that this tyre has been slowly phased out and replaced with the newer Good Year Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure which looks very similar overall apart from the center tread portion. I am interested to hear if anyone here has any experience with this tyre - I don't really take the bakkie onto much more than the occasional gravel road, so it's mostly black top. So decent wet/dry grip on road, moderate noise generation, and good mileage is probably the aim. The current tyres have managed just over 65k km so far, probably good for a few thousand more, and from my experience they've proven to be pretty decent tyres, so if the new ones are similar or better, then I'm happy.

For now, going to have that front tyre mushroom plugged since the screw is well enough away from the shoulder and investigate more tyre options if need be.
    Isuzu KB300 LX 4x2 DC Dmax (M) '07
    BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His)
    BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03 (Hers)
    ex Toyota Corolla 160i GLE (M) '99 - Photos

Default Re: GY Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure vs Wrangler AT/SA+

I put them on my old bakkie... did a lot of reading up, and decided to put them on... in theory the Adventures are supposed to give about 25-30% better mileage too....

Only drove them for a short period, but they drove like a dream!
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMabena For This Useful Post:

I'm in the same position and about to post the same question. Subscribed!
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:

Put the 18" onto my Trailblazer. Also read up quite a bit before choosing them. I liked the Kevlar ( OK, on the 18s apparently it is not exactly Kevlar but something similar, you will find it on another thread ) which is meant to strengthen the shoulder / side walls.

Haven't done too many kms yet, but very happy so far.

Paid just over R3000/tire at HiQ Boksburg.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Festi1 For This Useful Post:

I got an online quote from Tyremart in Bellville. Two Adventure's for R3500 (R1750 each), fitment and VAT included.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:

I have the new Adventure's on my Hilux (265/65 17). They have done 10k km, so far so good, they seem to be wearing well, good on tar and equally good on gravel and off road, also fairly quiet. I would buy these again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TOY4X4 For This Useful Post:

Recently fitted the 265 65 70 Adventure on my Amarok. Priced very well at R2100 per tyre. So far very happy. SA 4x4 did a tyre test about 2-3 months ago. General Grabber and GY Adventure came tops. The decider for me was the Adventures by far outperformed all the other tyres towing in sand.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    jannie@kubu4x4.co.za
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jannie Kubu4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I got an online quote from Tyremart in Bellville. Two Adventure's for R3500 (R1750 each), fitment and VAT included.
    What size were you quoted on?
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    What size were you quoted on?
    265/70/16
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:

My bakkie came with AT/SA and I replaced those with Adventures - standard 245 / 70 R 16.

Excellent tyre. Not as tough as a three ply / LT tyre like BFG or Cooper etc but for daily tar and gravel with the occasional mud / sand / snow thrown in I don't think there's better for the price.

They "look" a bit wimpy compared to the AT/SA (narrower tread shoulder to shoulder for some reason) but quiet, good grip on and offload and nice and durable.

Apart from my back left tyre...it's had three screw / nail punctures already but it just seems to be one of those bad luck s#$t magnets haha.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew5336 For This Useful Post:

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback!

I had the right front mushroom plugged yesterday, and on closer inspection, those tyres are very very close to their end, so I'm going to have to get a new set of boots sooner rather than later I reckon. They actually had some of these new Wrangler Adventure tyres out for someone else, so I took a close look at them and reckon I can't go wrong, they look like they are bound to be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew5336 View Post
    My bakkie came with AT/SA and I replaced those with Adventures - standard 245 / 70 R 16.

Excellent tyre. Not as tough as a three ply / LT tyre like BFG or Cooper etc but for daily tar and gravel with the occasional mud / sand / snow thrown in I don't think there's better for the price.

They "look" a bit wimpy compared to the AT/SA (narrower tread shoulder to shoulder for some reason) but quiet, good grip on and offload and nice and durable.

Apart from my back left tyre...it's had three screw / nail punctures already but it just seems to be one of those bad luck s#$t magnets haha.
    That's interesting, that was almost what I felt I saw back when I had the AT/SA fitted to replace the horrid RT/SA tyres that were originally on this bakkie - it seemed as if the AT/SA wasn't quite as wide overall, but not as much with regards to the tread width, the sidewalls. It was as if they were more straight and less rounded. I will take note when I have these tyres replaced and can also do a direct comparison since the spare was also changed to an AT/SA and has never rolled once, so basically brand new, but old.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
    Isuzu KB300 LX 4x2 DC Dmax (M) '07
    BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His)
    BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03 (Hers)
    ex Toyota Corolla 160i GLE (M) '99 - Photos