2003 Prado 120 questions

Default 2003 Prado 120 questions

Hi all. New to the forum but have been reading up on many topics for a while. Firstly just like to thank you guys for all the information provided you guys are the best.

Previously owned nissan sani 3.0 v6 4x4 ( sold after 9 years service)and Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4 (stolen after 5 years), both vehicles gave me fantastic service.

I have been searching for a super neat prado 120 4.0 v6 for a while now and think I may have found it. Although its the original 2003 spec mated with the 4 speed box it has just over 200000km with FSH by toyota. I tried searching but could not find an answer to my 2 questions.

1. Is there a big difference to consumption between the 4 spd and 5 spd auto boxes and which ones better?

2. I have seen a few complaints on cracked head gaskets on these prados coupled with overheating issues. Will changing out the thermostat and waterpump prevent this problem from ocurring? Or do i need to do anything more?

Thanks in advance.

NB : Just needed these 2 questions answered before I sign off the paperwork and pay.

Default Re: 2003 Prado 120 questions

I had an '03 4 speed and loved it father in law had the 5 speed. The fuel consumption was about the same, but difficult to judge as our driving styles must be different?

I believe the gasket blows in the same spot? To me that'd indicate a weak spot on the gasket, but many have huge mileage with no issues?I'd get the vehicle checked and block tested if all clear do the water pump and thermostat, then enjoy the vehicle they are fantastic value for money.

Default Re: 2003 Prado 120 questions

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    I had an '03 4 speed and loved it father in law had the 5 speed. The fuel consumption was about the same, but difficult to judge as our driving styles must be different?

I believe the gasket blows in the same spot? To me that'd indicate a weak spot on the gasket, but many have huge mileage with no issues?I'd get the vehicle checked and block tested if all clear do the water pump and thermostat, then enjoy the vehicle they are fantastic value for money.
    Awesome thanks for your response buddy Its going to be my primary bundu bashing fishing vehicle. Looked for reliability and longjevity as my two most important factors when selecting the prado 120 v6.