Good day to you all, and a question please

Default Good day to you all, and a question please

Hi there, my name is Chris and I live in Cape Town. I am not as fanatic as some of the experts here, but would like to pose a question if I may. My own interests are mainly to do with electronics and I ran a business for 36 years

I was recently in the Kglagardi Transfrontier Game Park and travelled mainly in a 2009 Land Rover. The roads are badly corrugated and even at 40 km/hr the crashing and banging from the suspension and rattling of the bodywork was very bad and subtracted from the enjoyment of the trip. The park itself is beautiful and we viewed a large variety of game

The most popular cars I saw were Toyotas - Prado (most numbers), Fortuner, Hi-Lux, plus a few Pajeros and Nissan Pathfinder

Next year I want to take some friends to Etosha and was wanting to get a 4x4 which does not require hearing protection when driving on corrugated or rough gravel roads. I hesitate to ask any salesman, since they will only promote their product, so seek some info from the vastly more experienced readers here

Is the Prado really the best type of vehicle to use?

Your suggestions will be most welcome

Thank you
    Last edited by chrisc2615; 2018/05/27 at 03:36 PM.

Default Re: Good day to you all, and a question please

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc2615 View Post

Next year I want to take some friends to Etosha and was wanting to get a 4x4 which does not require hearing protection when driving on corrugated or rough gravel roads. I hesitate to ask any salesman, since they will only promote their product, so seek some info from the vastly more experienced readers here

Is the Prado really the best type of vehicle to use?

Your suggestions will be most welcome

Thank you

The best vehicle to use under those circumstances will be a SUV type vehicle with coil springs on all four corners, meaning at each wheel.

I do not think that any one such vehicle will be vastly better than the other, but on corrugated roads, a coil spring vehicle will most definitely be far more comfortable, and obviously the new the vehicle, the less likely it is to have rattles under such road conditions
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

My Fortuner has been to Etosha several times, no issues. Drop the tyre pressures to 1.5 and most gravel is tolerable. Stick to max 80 on Namibian gravel, some places are deceptively smooth.
    Daily drive: 2017 Volkswagen cross up!
    Weekend toy: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Namibia platkar: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 2.5VNT RB
    Farm donkey: 2002 Toyota Hilux 3.0DE 4x4

Thanks for the info, folks

I got to talking with several visitors who had: Nissan Pathfinder (he liked it, said it was his 3rd), a Honda CR-V (told me the brakes were nearly "dead" and the rear door catch broke), a Ford bakkie (he said the roadholding was poor), a Fortuner (recommended it), two people with Prados (one had a leaking shock-absorber, the other was faultless but heavy on fuel - a 4 litre diesel) and a Mercedes GLC (aircon failed)

Independant suspension is the way to go, the Prado has a solid rear axle. I actually went for a ride in the Pathfinder and it was a pleasure compared to the Land Rover which seems so old-fashioned today

hi and welcome

you dont mention which 2009 Land Rover product you used.

defender? Discovery? freelander? Range Rover?

2000 Ford Courier DC 2.5TD 4x4
    2001 Range Rover P38 VOGUE
    2002 Volvo S60 2.4T

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc2615 View Post
    ....... two people with Prados (one had a leaking shock-absorber, the other was faultless but heavy on fuel - a 4 litre diesel)

Independant suspension is the way to go, the Prado has a solid rear axle.
    Welcome. I suggest you maybe also ask these questions under the General 4x4 discussion.

I would like to comment though on your statements above.

1. Any shock on any vehicle can leak, even top brands shocks like Old Man Emu. Too many variables to judge the vehicle by a leaking shock.
    2. Are you sure he said 4L diesel and not petrol? I am not aware of a 4L diesel engine in a Prado. Both the KZ-TE and the D4d is 3L. Petrol is however a 4L V6 and yes much heavier on fuel than the diesel.
    3. Nothing wrong with a solid rear axle, absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/05/28 at 08:19 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

In stead of replacing your vehicle, have you considered upgrading your suspension?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    In stead of replacing your vehicle, have you considered upgrading your suspension?
    yep

some new bushes and shocks should do the job

My 1989 110 V8 was better on dirt roads than my 2002 Grand Cheerokee. Because it had a suspension fit for purpose.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD