T4A 2018.05 version problem.

Default T4A 2018.05 version problem.

Lizette,
    I purchased T4A 2018.05.

BUT, they changed the amount of detail one can see at certain zoom levels.
    On previous versions one could see camping sites (and other info) from 10km zoom downwards.
    Now you can see it only from 700m (Base Camp: 1km).
    This is like tunnel vision !!!

I phoned T4A, and apparently they changed it for some technical reason, which I do not understand.
    For 13+ years it worked for me very nicely, and now it is rubbish.

I have decided to stay with my 2017.10 version, and never again do an update, because it is worthless.
    (I did an update nearly every 6 months in the past.)

I am REALLY upset about this change !!!
    Herman Meyer.

AG0017 ORRA AG38
    2014 Amarok DC 4Motion Auto ,
    2015-02-03: Bush Lapa Miskewer 394.

Default Re: T4A 2018.05 version problem.

Hi Herman,

I had a chat to Bessie and this is how I understand the rather technical explanation for the change in zoom levels.

The T4A maps is designed to work on a Garmin platform (GPS and Basecamp). Garmin makes use of two types of points of interest (POIS) – these are either “services” or not. Your typical “service” point, is searchable on the map or GPS, e.g. lodging (with its subcategories such as guesthouse, lodge, B&B, etc) or fuel / food /attractions, etc. In order for our points to be searchable in those categories, we had to slot all our points into these categories. And this is where the challenge comes in – we cannot control the zoom level on these categories, they are fixed by Garmin.

So in the past, if you looked at the T4A map in the Mabuasehube region, you would have seen little blue squares with a name next to it – e.g. Khiding / Bosobogolo, etc. – these points were actually the names of the pans which were visible in Basecamp at a very high zoom level. Now we have allocated the names of the pans into the appropriate category, i.e. attraction. On the Garmin platform, attractions are not a high priority for navigation – i.e. the name of a town will display first before an attraction will display. Therefore, now that we have allocated the pans into their correct category, namely attractions, on Basecamp the names of the pans will only display once you have zoomed in to about 3km, and the actual campsite around the pan, at 1km.

You can get around this in Basecamp, by zooming in on the region where you are travelling to. Use the little “hand” tool, right click in the region where you are looking for a campsite, and select “find nearest places”. On the right a list of “all points of interest” will come up – click on this and select “lodging” and all campsites will display.

I hope that helps!

Regards

Lizette
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by hermanm10 View Post
    Lizette,
    I purchased T4A 2018.05.

BUT, they changed the amount of detail one can see at certain zoom levels.
    On previous versions one could see camping sites (and other info) from 10km zoom downwards.
    Now you can see it only from 700m (Base Camp: 1km).
    This is like tunnel vision !!!

I phoned T4A, and apparently they changed it for some technical reason, which I do not understand.
    For 13+ years it worked for me very nicely, and now it is rubbish.

I have decided to stay with my 2017.10 version, and never again do an update, because it is worthless.
    (I did an update nearly every 6 months in the past.)

I am REALLY upset about this change !!!
    Hi Herman,

I take note of your complaint and will investigate if there are options to also have the old type of compile as well (well we could do this but it may confuse users if there are options), but we have to keep up with how Garmin change the way GPS and Basecamp uses maps. The search functionality on the GPS seems to be mostly the problem with the old way of doing things.

Could you please let me know which GPS model you are using.

Thanks
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

Garmin Montana 600.

But, my problem is while searching for camp sites / interesting places (I have no names to search for) on my PC, while planning a new trip.
    Herman Meyer.

AG0017 ORRA AG38
    2014 Amarok DC 4Motion Auto ,
    2015-02-03: Bush Lapa Miskewer 394.

Thanks for this Herman.

Without knowing the campsites or pans one is searching for, and having to zoom in to 700m means you will be scrolling through maps for hours and hours.

I will also wait for the next round of updates to see if this can be sorted out

It is also my gripe. It is virtually impossible to visually find a campsite or lodgings on your GPS, as you have to zoom right in and then scroll the map to find one. This is challenging as eg if you are running late and need to find new accommodation in the next town 50km away.

One can of course do a search, which is difficult if you do not have a passenger who can do this for you when driving. The visual search is still better as it shows you where these POIs are physically on the map, and it does not distract your driving concentration as much as having to type in a search criteria on the GPSr, similar to illegal texting on your phone while driving.

Just checked on my 276Cx with detail set to "most"
    At 800m zoom, RMs, like Jct information show, cluttering the map. At 400m, track descriptions, like "4x4 required", show. Only at 80m zoom, lodging and campsites appear, as well as stores etc.

Lodgings should show earlier. If the Garmin map compilation software prevents this, then maybe use different icons or categories for these?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    It is also my gripe. It is virtually impossible to visually find a campsite or lodgings on your GPS, as you have to zoom right in and then scroll the map to find one. This is challenging as eg if you are running late and need to find new accommodation in the next town 50km away.

One can of course do a search, which is difficult if you do not have a passenger who can do this for you when driving. The visual search is still better as it shows you where these POIs are physically on the map, and it does not distract your driving concentration as much as having to type in a search criteria on the GPSr, similar to illegal texting on your phone while driving.

Just checked on my 276Cx with detail set to "most"
    At 800m zoom, RMs, like Jct information show, cluttering the map. At 400m, track descriptions, like "4x4 required", show. Only at 80m zoom, lodging and campsites appear, as well as stores etc.

Lodgings should show earlier. If the Garmin map compilation software prevents this, then maybe use different icons or categories for these?

I compared an old version of T4A (15.05) against 18.05 on Basecamp 4.6.2 for Mac.

Camp sites, lodging, fuels, bars etc are all showing up at 1km zoom level on both the old and new one. So here nothing changed. The change came in with other icons like road markers, scenic spots, town and village markers. These used to be showing from 30km down but not any longer on 18.05. We are looking at different options here.

But we cannot just go and assign other icons as the GPS and Basecamp software will interpret these according to their type and it affects the way you search in categories. We constantly check what they change to see if we need to update. The last update was brought about by camp sites not searching under the Lodging category on certain outdoor units, like Montana.

Lizette gave some tips on how to better search in Basecamp.

For GPS I would suggest this; We have developed the Africa Guide many years ago already. It is a collection of points that we feel needs to be searched different from the default categories in the GPS. Once installed, the Africa Guide will be available under Extras.

From here we create our own set of categories (and we are open to suggestions to improve this). But if we take a border control or picnic site as example. It is virtually impossible to search for these, so we created categories for these types. If you browse to this category then all the points in this category that are near you will list.

Same for camping and lodging. We have separate categories for these as well as sub categories to drill down to the type of accommodation you are looking for. Again this will list near you (or the city you selected to search Near)

What is more, we include additional text and photos in the Africa Guide, so we can give you the descriptions and contact details of places, similar to our website and guide books.

Here is more information on the Africa Guide (free if you have the map already and included on your SD card)
    https://shop.tracks4africa.co.za/doc...-africa-guide/

More specific to the 276Csx. You can go into your map setup and force certain map layers to show up at higher zoom levels. This is unique to the old and new 276 units and was one of the best features in the old one. This will clutter the map in dense areas, but in remote parts it may help you to find stuff quicker by just looking at the map. It is not the same as setting detail to Most and it is not available on other GPS models.

Hope this helps.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Johan.

I had forgotten about the layer zoom levels, and it works quite well. Fuel and accommodation all fall under the POI layer. Now I can set these to display at say 1.2km zoom, where the default auto setting is 80m, where they are hard to find.

What would be great is if we could have sub categories, but that would be asking too much from Garmin.