Which Overland 4x4 to buy? - Page 4




Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 61 to 78 of 78
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanked: 479

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevan View Post
    Listen to Hedgehog

    Get a Pajero
    I assume the OP understand the difference between a Pajero and a Pajero Sport? I'm sure he was referring to the previous Pajero Sport that was utilitarian, and the styling of the new Sport he doesn't like. Just to p!ss Hedgehog off, take a look at this if you haven't before: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.za/vehicle/pajero-lwb/. If you've driven one of these, please ignore my post.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:


  3. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    73
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanked: 504

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Is the Renegade not a re-badged Fiat?
    *
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

    It is the same when you are stupid.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:


  5. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,106
    Thanked: 204

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    I assume the OP understand the difference between a Pajero and a Pajero Sport? I'm sure he was referring to the previous Pajero Sport that was utilitarian, and the styling of the new Sport he doesn't like. Just to p!ss Hedgehog off, take a look at this if you haven't before: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.za/vehicle/pajero-lwb/. If you've driven one of these, please ignore my post.
    Compared to a Prado, you get waaaaayyyy more 4x4 per price.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

  6. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Age
    44
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Arctic Truck Pardo - Unicorn or modified vehicle that should not be taken into Africa?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prado-150-Arctic-Truck-11-of-13-940x537.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	489218
    His Audi S3
    Hers Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
    ex Audi A4 2.0T

  7. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanked: 479

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarkII View Post
    Arctic Truck Pardo - Unicorn or modified vehicle that should not be taken into Africa?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prado-150-Arctic-Truck-11-of-13-940x537.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	489218
    Both; try and get 900 kms on a tank with those mods... As a daily driver I can't imagine it would be nice.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

  8. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Age
    44
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    hmmm, interesting that you say that, was reading another thread on this forum about the Hi-Lux AT35 which according to the author drives like a standard bakkie and achieves reasonable fuel consumption of 8.9l/100km, so can't imagine why the same wouldn't apply to the Prado. Even if we round that fuel consumption up to 12l/100km, with a 150l = 1250km

    it also seems that these mods don't affect the factory warrantee, might need to do more reading on that..

    Or Tura:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fortuner-Arctic-Truck-11-of-92-940x537.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	489220

    with extra fuel:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arctic-Trucks-Toyota-Fortuner-33s-Mafefe-4x4-African-Ivory-Route-1-of-7.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	489221
    His Audi S3
    Hers Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
    ex Audi A4 2.0T

  9. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Sabie
    Age
    46
    Posts
    20
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarkII View Post
    Arctic Truck Pardo - Unicorn or modified vehicle that should not be taken into Africa?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prado-150-Arctic-Truck-11-of-13-940x537.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	489218
    That looks awesome, if I could afford something like that I would. The question to ask here is if the mods will mean difficult repairs when you are far from civilization. As I see it, how many "bush" mechanics will be able to fix a busted common rail fuel injection line, like what is found on almost all modern diesel vehicles these days. Or a blown engine/vehicle management computer for that matter. Then ask yourself how often will it break...

  10. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melkbos
    Age
    42
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Used 76 V8
    Got the power and the range.
    Wow factor evertime you turn the key😎
    Kind regards

    Wayno

    Toyota Landcruiser 76, 4.5
    Prev: Nissan Navara 2.5 Le 4x4 2008
    Isuzu Kb 2.5 Le 4x4 Lwb

  11. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    20
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    I struggle to not smile in the LC200. Even my road rage has ceased. Normal suspension, reliable diesel v8, could tow your whole house without wheels.

    (time to stir...)
    No Jeep can compare.
    (/stir)

  12. #70
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hout Bay
    Age
    57
    Posts
    161
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Let's face it, the only vehicle worth getting is the defender 110. They are just so bloody cool that any shortcomings are soon forgotten. You can start with glampiing and move on to full blow self sufficient overlanding with the same vehicle while having fun with the mods.

    Just do it... you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by glassman; 2018/05/21 at 07:17 AM.

  13. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    65
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    Let's face it, the only vehicle worth getting is the defender 110. They are just so bloody cool that any shortcomings are soon forgotten. You can start with glampiing and move on to full blow self sufficient overlanding with the same vehicle while having fun with the mods.

    Just do it... you won't be disappointed.

    Heh. Glad someone chimed in. Mind you with that budget you'd get a pretty awesome 110 *and* a little town based run-around..... not something I'd say no to...my level 5 overlanding vehicle is now a Sandton-based 8-5'er, and finding on-street parking (necessary with the roofrack and rooftent on) in Sandton is a bugger...
    Last edited by mdegale; 2018/05/21 at 05:03 PM.
    Matthew de Gale
    -----------------------------
    www.hoperoad.co.za
    Neophyte
    Land Rover Defender TD5
    ex Lada Niva 1.6

  14. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Witsand
    Age
    60
    Posts
    107
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Then stick with Toyota. Any other brand, other than older Land Rovers, you'll end up air freighting spares in from South Africa if you break down. And stick with bog standard suspension, no fancy after-market fits.
    I cannot agree more. This is the overiding best advice you are going to get. Stay away from the bling, or you will spend lots of ching getting it back home.

  15. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Age
    44
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    There has been a lot of varied comment on "Which Overland 4x4 to buy" which I greatly appreciate and from this it seems, IMHO, that the right answer is probably a Toyota product i.e. Tuna or Prado.

    I took some time over the weekend to test drive a few options; yes these were on-road tests and I'll also need to make time to do a few off-road tests.
    First up was the new Tuna 2.4 2x4, they didn't have a 2.8 4x4 available, which I can only imagine would be a bit better but with the same interior and styling...which to be honest did nothing for me. ride was okay but overall completely uninspiring
    Unfortunately there were no Prado's available to look at.
    Next was Everest 3.2 Limited. Much softer ride, the interior and styling was much better and if YouTube is anything to go by these three compete very closely for off road ability.

    Next up was the Disco 4 SDV6... now that was a nice surprise, performance, styling every day drive-ability and fairly decent off-road credibility.
    Last car for the day was Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland, I drove one of these before and once again was not disappointed. as with the LR4 there's a lot to like with this vehicle.

    I still need to get behind the wheel of a Prado LC 150 TX/VX but I'm starting to form the opinion that what I should have asked is "Which Luxury 4x4 to buy?"

    Whilst I appreciate the capabilities, durability and "trust worthiness" of Defenders, Tuna's, Pajero's and the like I just don't see myself driving one day to day... unless it's modified to be exceptional in some way.

    I'm probably also kidding myself into thinking that I'll be doing regular type 4 or 5 Overland trips, we'll probably only get in one or two adventures per year... the rest of the time, whatever the purchase, it will either be parked at home, or more likely used as a daily ride to into town and back.

    ...the search continues.
    His Audi S3
    Hers Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
    ex Audi A4 2.0T

  16. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,004
    Thanked: 633

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    The best true overlander where you have to be self sufficient for a long time.. is a 130 Defender.
    _______________________________________

    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    LC76V8

  17. #75
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    32
    Posts
    774
    Thanked: 65

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarkII View Post
    There has been a lot of varied comment on "Which Overland 4x4 to buy" which I greatly appreciate and from this it seems, IMHO, that the right answer is probably a Toyota product i.e. Tuna or Prado.

    I took some time over the weekend to test drive a few options; yes these were on-road tests and I'll also need to make time to do a few off-road tests.
    First up was the new Tuna 2.4 2x4, they didn't have a 2.8 4x4 available, which I can only imagine would be a bit better but with the same interior and styling...which to be honest did nothing for me. ride was okay but overall completely uninspiring
    Unfortunately there were no Prado's available to look at.
    Next was Everest 3.2 Limited. Much softer ride, the interior and styling was much better and if YouTube is anything to go by these three compete very closely for off road ability.

    Next up was the Disco 4 SDV6... now that was a nice surprise, performance, styling every day drive-ability and fairly decent off-road credibility.
    Last car for the day was Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland, I drove one of these before and once again was not disappointed. as with the LR4 there's a lot to like with this vehicle.

    I still need to get behind the wheel of a Prado LC 150 TX/VX but I'm starting to form the opinion that what I should have asked is "Which Luxury 4x4 to buy?"

    Whilst I appreciate the capabilities, durability and "trust worthiness" of Defenders, Tuna's, Pajero's and the like I just don't see myself driving one day to day... unless it's modified to be exceptional in some way.

    I'm probably also kidding myself into thinking that I'll be doing regular type 4 or 5 Overland trips, we'll probably only get in one or two adventures per year... the rest of the time, whatever the purchase, it will either be parked at home, or more likely used as a daily ride to into town and back.

    ...the search continues.
    No-one has mentioned it yet...get a Touareg (with terrain tech package - i.e. low range and locking diffs). I have 265/60R18 tyres on mine (above 30") with no issues. I have heard about Discoveries having air suspension issues and was apprehensive when getting the Touareg with air suspension but maybe there is such a thing as German quality - haven't had air suspension issues and don't know of any issues on the Touaregs air suspension. It has good strapping points in the boot, 100L fuel tank and is very comfortable...I far prefer it to a Disco4 or a Pajero, haven't driven the Grand Cherokee before

    Only thing I would do in preparation for a long trip is get an aftermarket spare wheel carrier, otherwise it is an exceptional vehicle and more capable than you think
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  18. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    I'm in the same boat, looking at replacing the wife's x3 with an all rounder. I'm also looking for that unicorn that ticks all the boxes, but like it was mentioned... all proper 4x4 suv's are heavy on fuel, and expensive to maintain.

    For me, the grand cherokee is my most likely choice for the money. You get 8 speed 'box, all the luxuries of a disco4 hse, and better consumption.

    But the other side of the coin is leave the wife with her town car, and build up an older vehicle for overlanding, save the consumption and tyres for holidays

  19. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town - RSA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,288
    Thanked: 140

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarkII View Post
    There has been a lot of varied comment on "Which Overland 4x4 to buy" which I greatly appreciate and from this it seems, IMHO, that the right answer is probably a Toyota product i.e. Tuna or Prado.

    I took some time over the weekend to test drive a few options; yes these were on-road tests and I'll also need to make time to do a few off-road tests.
    First up was the new Tuna 2.4 2x4, they didn't have a 2.8 4x4 available, which I can only imagine would be a bit better but with the same interior and styling...which to be honest did nothing for me. ride was okay but overall completely uninspiring
    Unfortunately there were no Prado's available to look at.
    Next was Everest 3.2 Limited. Much softer ride, the interior and styling was much better and if YouTube is anything to go by these three compete very closely for off road ability.

    Next up was the Disco 4 SDV6... now that was a nice surprise, performance, styling every day drive-ability and fairly decent off-road credibility.
    Last car for the day was Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland, I drove one of these before and once again was not disappointed. as with the LR4 there's a lot to like with this vehicle.

    I still need to get behind the wheel of a Prado LC 150 TX/VX but I'm starting to form the opinion that what I should have asked is "Which Luxury 4x4 to buy?"

    Whilst I appreciate the capabilities, durability and "trust worthiness" of Defenders, Tuna's, Pajero's and the like I just don't see myself driving one day to day... unless it's modified to be exceptional in some way.

    I'm probably also kidding myself into thinking that I'll be doing regular type 4 or 5 Overland trips, we'll probably only get in one or two adventures per year... the rest of the time, whatever the purchase, it will either be parked at home, or more likely used as a daily ride to into town and back.

    ...the search continues.
    Bud - If I was you - just get a Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension. Its what you want - it will do everything you need to it to. It will be great in the daily driver situation. And for the once a year you go to bots just dont bring the entire kitchen sink with you, get a sat phone and get decent insurance. You will be fine.

    If you have done 5 trips a year, for more than a week then start looking at more dedicated vehicles.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

  20. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town - RSA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,288
    Thanked: 140

    Default Re: Which Overland 4x4 to buy?

    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •