Wiring to fridge in loadbed

Default Wiring to fridge in loadbed

I want to run my Nat. Luna fridge while travelling. At my destination I will use a 220 volt lead. I need to install wiring from the battery in the engine compartment. Do I use a ground wire and live from the battery. I want it to be basic. Which wire do I use, guage. Do I use a relay preventing battery running down when parked Ún route. Brad H plug at the end. The only quote I have is R3000 +.
    Any practical advice will be appreciated.

Default Re: Wiring to fridge in loadbed

16mm red cable for positive and black for negative. Solenoid and 50A fuse after main battery to ensure cut-off when the engine is switched off.

If you want the 2nd battery to be portable, then a BH plug in the loadbin, 2nd battery in a battery box with a BH as well. Install some BH plugs, Hella plugs and perhaps a cig lighter plug on the battery box. Then it is completely removable to use outside the vehicle, just unplug the BH plug from the main supply.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4 (Currently in surgery)
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer

The bad news is that no matter which way you do it, R3000 as a budget is about right. You may get it down a little by DIY.

Get prices for these to give you an idea. Blackie's advice is spot on

http://www.nationalluna.com/product-...talled-systems
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Yep - a thumbsuck - about R2500 to have it done properly.
    Gavin

Did mine for under R2000 diy

If I understand correctly:

You want to install a power point in the loadbin. All this power point needs to do is supply a fridge with power whilst driving between destinations. Once at your destination you will plug the fridge into a 220V outlet. However you don't want the fridge to draw down the main battery should you leave it connected for a few hours without the engine running. You are not planning on fitting a secondary battery.

If the above is correct:
    You don't need 16mm2 cables, 4mm2 will do just fine.
    Run the cables directly from the battery but install an inline fuse on the positive line as near to the battery as possible. 15 - 20A is more than enough.
    Protect the cable by running it inside a protective; sprag type sleeve.
    Fit a Hella socket in the loadbin.
    Set the voltage cut-off on the fridge to the middle or high setting (I have a Snomaster, the middle setting works perfectly)

You can do the above DIY for under R1000.00 and have a safe installation which will not burn down your vehicle if it ever shorts to earth due to chafing/ other failure of insulation.
    2015 Mahindra Bolero SC 2.5 NEF TCI 4x4 (Ratchet & Clank)
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    If I understand correctly:

You want to install a power point in the loadbin. All this power point needs to do is supply a fridge with power whilst driving between destinations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    You can do the above DIY for under R1000.00 and have a safe installation which will not burn down your vehicle if it ever shorts to earth due to chafing/ other failure of insulation.
    My advice took it a bit further as one may just as well fit a portable battery pack also at the same time, however, if you only want to run the fridge whilst driving this can be done relatively cheap, however, I would advise still fitting a solenoid to have a safe installation, not drawing down your main battery whilst stationary and you perhaps forgot to plug it into the 220V outlet.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4 (Currently in surgery)
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    My advice took it a bit further as one may just as well fit a portable battery pack also at the same time, however, if you only want to run the fridge whilst driving this can be done relatively cheap, however, I would advise still fitting a solenoid to have a safe installation, not drawing down your main battery whilst stationary and you perhaps forgot to plug it into the 220V outlet.
    But you see, if one goes according to what the OP stated, it isn't necessary to install a solenoid. Modern fridges have auto voltage cut-off settings built in for the exact reason of not draining your vehicle's battery. What I described in my post is identical to the setup in my own vehicle. As stated I run a Snomaster fridge and like the op I connect it to 220V when I reach my destination however if I were to forget about the fridge(Which I have, especially once I return home) it automatically disconnects from the battery once the supply voltage drops below a certain value. Up to now and a few trips later this has worked perfectly.

If in future I wished to fit a secondary battery then I would personally try to fit such battery in the engine compartment and run thick cables between the two batteries through a solenoid and then again from the secondary battery to a fuse block from where I can run much thinner, cheaper and easier to work with cable to the various accessories.

As a matter of fact I already have some of the components for this secondary step bought as per the picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuseblock and relay.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	488819
    2015 Mahindra Bolero SC 2.5 NEF TCI 4x4 (Ratchet & Clank)
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Thanks Koebelwagen and Others. This R 3000 quote was from Toyota . Still under maintenance plan. Food for thought!

I am with Koebelwagen on this one....
    I am also planning to use fridge as stated.

But I have a 657 battery currently, but spec for vehicle is 674. 70Ah vs 90Ah. Will help somewhat.

Long term solution...Blackie's post

Built battery box with the solenoid, battery, inverter, solar panel charges and all connectors for my brother's Pajero Sport. 16mm▓ wires from main battery to loadbin, BH plug. Plug in box and voila.

Name:	Battery box #1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	489301

Name:	Battery box #2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	489302
    Last edited by Prof; 2018/05/19 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Add photos

Bosch relay. Bakelite fuse holder. Cables. R500 tops.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

My solution. I'm not so DIY advanced so took the easy way out. Battery box mounted in the back.

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.