Charging Deep cell + length of fridge cord

Default Charging Deep cell + length of fridge cord

1. Could someone please confirm that it is OK to charge my deep cell (PSA008 charger) while the fridge is running. I have a D250S. Will I blow fuses on the D250S?

Will connect Crocodile clips direct to Deep Cell battery terminals.

2. I see the maximum length of fridge cord is stipulated in the fridge specs. What happens if one uses a longer cable? The occasion may arise when it would be great to move the fridge out
    of a 4x4 in the sun to a shady spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul

Default Re: Charging Deep cell + length of fridge cord

Cable length: the table simply shows that the longer the cable, the thicker it needs to be to make sure the fridge still works properly. Too long would cause a larger voltage drop and the unit might not start or see a "low battery" condition. If the cable is 2.5mm2 and you need longer than 5m, you would need to replace it with 4mm2 and so on.

Charging with the smart mains charger connected directly to the batt. should be OK, but rather check the C-TEK manual. Maybe someone else knows, I have not used the D250S before.

Edited: Looks fine! See http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...3&d=1326980937
    Last edited by An3s; 2018/05/14 at 02:17 PM.
    ZS6VL

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An3s For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    1. Could someone please confirm that it is OK to charge my deep cell (PSA008 charger) while the fridge is running. I have a D250S. Will I blow fuses on the D250S?

Will connect Crocodile clips direct to Deep Cell battery terminals.

2. I see the maximum length of fridge cord is stipulated in the fridge specs. What happens if one uses a longer cable? The occasion may arise when it would be great to move the fridge out
    of a 4x4 in the sun to a shady spot.
    Question 1. I would be reluctant to use two smart chargers at the same time. Quite simply I think it would confuse all the automatic battery sensing, and may do something stupid. - Like having the two chargers "hunting" each other.

Question 2. Cable size and length. Depends on the specific fridge. Some have low voltage cut-out, others don't. even more important the system (battery) voltage state. If the battery is nicely topped up and under charge at a high voltage, you will be able to get away with murder. If it is nearly flat and the voltage is low, you will be in the dwang.

Eish DC Systems - Deceptively complicated.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

I have a Ctek 250S and keep my aux battery (both in loadbin) charged / topped up when vehicle not in use by connecting a Benton BX2 direct to aux battery. Have been doing this for quite some time now (+2 years) and nothing has blown.
    To me it appears that once aux battery is fully charged the Ctek then allows the charge to reach the starter battery. Once both batteries are fully charged the charger goes into float.

Ctek manual page 21 illustrates this including a Smartpass. I don't have a Smartpass. Am I in for an expensive surprise?

Landcruiser 79 Series D/Cab 4.2L Diesel
    Bush Lapa Miskruier (no: 34)

I am rather nervous about taxing the Ctek D250 after an auto electrician blew the solar fuse and could have fried the expensive unit. But you seem to have good luck with your system!
    Paul