Damaraland June 2018

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Damaraland June 2018

One month from today we leave for Damaraland.
    We will be doing things differently to travel to and from Namibia.
    To save 4 days travelling either way,we will be flying from Durban to Windhoek and hireing two Toyota Double Cabs from Bushlore.
    We intend going up the Messum River Bed to the Crater and work our way North to Ugab Rhino Camp and up to Gai A is Fountain.
    Desolation Valley to Mowani Camp.
    A trip to the Doros Crater and then drive around to Spitzkoppe Comm.Camp.
    Will be taking our time and enjoying the area.
    Any ideas are welcome

Default Re: Damaraland June 2018

I think you will have an uphill battle in the riverbeds. The Ugab was in flood 4 weeks ago and I believe itís a mess. You may spend a couple of days getting out of a bog.

Zapiture,
    Paj 3.8i GLS SWB
    Solid Rock Sliders
    Bash plates
    Warn 8000lbs
    EFS suspension
    Nissan Hardbody 4x4
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Thanks.We will not be taking any chances. Got bogged down in the Omaruru once and three hours later we were out.
    When we get back we will post some pics

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    I think you will have an uphill battle in the riverbeds. The Ugab was in flood 4 weeks ago and I believe itís a mess. You may spend a couple of days getting out of a bog.
    Jip, spoke to two seperate groups that just came from that area. Stuck Stuck Stuck.
    "Meerkat"
    08' 3.2did Pajero Gls - Stock
    06' V6 Colt with some personal touches
    ex - modded Disco2 V8
    ex - modded RRC V8
    ex - modded 130 300tdi
    ex - modded SWB Pajero V6
    ex - modded Mitsu Delica tdi
    ex - Modded DC Hilux 4Y

Be careful in the river beds - it took us 10 hours to drive from Puros Community Camp to just after Puros canyon! We were 8 cars and did 10 recoveries that day. Luckily we had plenty of hands to help. Enjoy your trip.
    NJ Vermaak

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D | '85 PUCH Gelšndewagen | Bush Lapa Miskruier 136

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher Boy View Post
    One month from today we leave for Damaraland.
    We will be doing things differently to travel to and from Namibia.
    To save 4 days travelling either way,we will be flying from Durban to Windhoek and hireing two Toyota Double Cabs from Bushlore.
    We intend going up the Messum River Bed to the Crater and work our way North to Ugab Rhino Camp and up to Gai A is Fountain.
    Desolation Valley to Mowani Camp.
    A trip to the Doros Crater and then drive around to Spitzkoppe Comm.Camp.
    Will be taking our time and enjoying the area.
    Any ideas are welcome
    We have just returned from a 4 week trip to Damaraland. Think twice about staying over at Ugab Rhino Camp, for us it was a huge disappointment compared to our stay in 2010. We planned on staying 2 nights to explore the area, but it appears that no maintenance whatsoever has been done for a very long time. None of several donkey boilers were in working order and the longdrops ...... - prepare for flies galore. To me it appeared that the Trust running the camp no longer exists.
    Last edited by Sebastiaan; 2018/05/18 at 08:54 PM.

Landcruiser 79 Series D/Cab 4.2L Diesel
    Bush Lapa Miskruier (no: 34)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post
    We have just returned from a 4 week trip to Damaraland. Think twice about staying over at Ugab Rhino Camp, for us it was a huge disappointment compared to our stay in 2010. We planned on staying 2 nights to explore the area, but it appears that no maintenance whatsoever have been done for a very long time. None of several donkey boilers were in working order and the longdrops ...... - prepare for flies galore. To me it appeared that the Trust running the camp no longer exists.
    Did this trip once.
    Actually there is no need to travel up and down the river beds. As long as you can cross them. First the Ugab then the Huab. There is plenty of things to see around De Riet. KRONE etc. Don't know if Dr Riet camp is open. That would be a nice area to camp.

As far as I know, there is no de Riet camp anymore. There is water at de Riet, Slangpos and Krone farm. Have a look at Krone Canyon. Ugab Rhino camp is a desaster and is becoming a squatter camp. Desolation valley and the whole Huab area is currently very green. Going through the Ugab is no problem as long as you stear clear of the swamps. Desolation valley is nice, just dont try to cross the huab too early you may get stuck. Stay on the south side until it flattens out.
    Currently there are ellies and lion in the ugab. Have not seen lion in the huab but ellies. Trip to doros from mowani take the route past organ pipes and burnt mountain. Plenti of blooming welwitchias and hoodia plants. You will encounter a gate at burnt mountain where the guys will want you to pay entry fees. DO NOT PAY IF YOU DONT INTEND TO STOP AND WALK THE BURNT MOUNTAIN. Spitzkoppe community camp is good for what its worth. Do NOT go to Spitzkoppe tented camp. Absolutely useless. Have fun!
    2002 Discovery td5

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nambro For This Useful Post:

Great info.
    So only legal way to camp at De Riet would be next to the house of locals?

On my tracks 4 Africa map,between Gai Ais Fountain and Huab river there is a logo for a camp site.can anyone confirm this? Even if it is a dry camp we do not mind.
    Maybe nice stop over in the Desolation Valley.

Itís not a formal campsite but thereís an area used for camping about 10kms north of GaiAis set back in the rocks to the east of the track. Thereís some shelter from the wind and youíll find a number of old Braii pits. Definitely no facilities

Apparently this is a conservation area. No wild camping allowed. Or is this an official camping spot?

There is no formal campsite between GaiAis and the Huab. T4A paper map marking it as such is incorrect. Itís not on other versions of that platform.

Quote Originally Posted by africancats View Post
    There is no formal campsite between GaiAis and the Huab. T4A paper map marking it as such is incorrect. Itís not on other versions of that platform.
    Correct and incorrect .....

There is no formal campsite.

On my Beta 18.05.02 T4A map it does show an "Informal Wild Camp (Ancient Caves) along the route. It is also on al the older Beta versions I have and even on the oldest 15.10.03 T4A Traveller's Africa map I have.

Johan
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2016 Isuzu KB300 Ext Cab 4x4

Johan, I do apologise. T4A travellers map has it marked as a campsite and, as Iím certain you know, itís not. Itís just a place people have stopped for the night , mercifully not close to the fountain. The travellers guide download has omitted it.
    Itís an excellent mapping system but not perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher Boy View Post
    On my tracks 4 Africa map,between Gai Ais Fountain and Huab river there is a logo for a camp site.can anyone confirm this? Even if it is a dry camp we do not mind.
    Maybe nice stop over in the Desolation Valley.
    On my very old 2012 T4A it is just described as a sheltered wild camp, so not formal an no facilities but people have wild camped there, amongst others the Voetspore team.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Just still wonder are you allowed to camp on these unofficial spots. Problem is the official ones are too far apart. And it would be a pity if you have to do all in one day.

Iím unaware of the views of others, however it seems to us that T4A is a two edged sword, where it is used responsibly itís a wonderful aid for these wildernesses, however there is a small minority who abuse the system.
    You will find that the main tracks have widened over time, because as more and more people take advantage of this improved mapping the original track has become corrupted and some travellers move out of the corrugations to ease their progress. As well as this, a very small number simply drive off into the plain to explore leaving long term lasting damage behind them . Weíve seen this as a growing problem over the years and itís only going to get worse if we donít learn to behave.
    Anything can go wrong out there, or you may simply become too tired to continue safely for whatever reason . In such circumstances , if we found we had to stop, we would look for a place that has clearly been used for this purpose before and we would never cut a new track no matter what. We would clear up behind ourselves and leave no trace of our presence.
    I hope this is of some help .

Saw a lot of that in Marienfluss a few weeks ago. The track has become very wide, almost a dirt road's width. Also tracks running across these, basically east to west. As well as tracks running into the veld to get closer to lone man etc. Sad to see how fellow travelers are damaging the sensitive veld.
    Last edited by njvermaak; 2018/05/17 at 04:28 PM.
    NJ Vermaak

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D | '85 PUCH Gelšndewagen | Bush Lapa Miskruier 136

Making new tracks due to bad roads or sight seeing is a no-no. I agree with africancats, a lot of harm is being done by the increase in travellers. Wild camping is ok if you clean up and don't damage. Unfortunately it is mainly locals that don't behave.
    2002 Discovery td5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast