Canvas Top Kits. To ebay, or not to ebay.

Default Canvas Top Kits. To ebay, or not to ebay.

Hi everybody,

I have been doing a bit of research on getting parts for my old '89 Wrangler. Specifically a new canvas top kit (top + mechanics). They are all over Ebay, which is great for most of the world, but I wondered if anyone knew of a local source/importer that might come across a little cheaper. It seems like what I am looking for is like finding a needle in a haystack in SA.

I have some concerns with getting an almighty import duty bill, and it seems like you can't really predict what that bill would be. But of course, if there is no way around it, I will have to cough up the bucks.

Thanks for any info!

Default Re: Canvas Top Kits. To ebay, or not to ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Okalpha View Post
    Hi everybody,

I have been doing a bit of research on getting parts for my old '89 Wrangler. Specifically a new canvas top kit (top + mechanics). They are all over Ebay, which is great for most of the world, but I wondered if anyone knew of a local source/importer that might come across a little cheaper. It seems like what I am looking for is like finding a needle in a haystack in SA.

I have some concerns with getting an almighty import duty bill, and it seems like you can't really predict what that bill would be. But of course, if there is no way around it, I will have to cough up the bucks.

Thanks for any info!
    Unfortunately can't help you with regards to an SA supplier. Regarding the import costs though, I have heard some courier companies will bill you with the import costs they calculate you will pay. If you need to pay anything more, they let you know or refund you if it's less.

Not sure how true this is or which companies (IIRC DHL was one of them?), but it might be worth phoning around?
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

But, as a side note...you might want to check out Amazon.com as well?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_4939...-------------1

Like for example this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Rampage-Produ...eep%3Awrangler

If I recall correctly, they used to give you a shipping + import quote at the end of the order. But this could've changed by now...
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Thanks so much for the feedback avk. Did a bit of a test order through Amazon, and you are right, they add a calculated duties cost/deposit. Isn't actually that bad, but the shipping is 50% of the total cost. Nuts. But at least there is a finite number in view.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Okalpha For This Useful Post: