2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingchris For This Useful Post:

Default Re: all spotlights now legal in Namibia

interesting article.
    thanks.

Kry die popcorn reg...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to janseekat For This Useful Post:

Here is the articleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1526063880445.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	488508

Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    Kry die popcorn reg...
    Ha Ha, jip

Apparently this still means no LED Bars. LED spots yes. So I hear
    "Meerkat"
    08' 3.2did Pajero Gls -minor mods
    06' V6 Colt with some personal touches
    ex - modded Disco2 V8
    ex - modded RRC V8
    ex - modded 130 300tdi
    ex - modded SWB Pajero V6
    ex - modded Mitsu Delica tdi
    ex - Modded DC Hilux 4Y

Die eerste pakkie ..met sout asb..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ag hel. Weer?
    Sit maar julle lightbars op en vat die kans. Dan kan julle weer kla van hoe verouderd die wet is blah blah as julle gefine word.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Namib Times: Veteran traffic chief challenges Walvis Bay traffic chief Eben Platt on"spotlights" issue:

Walvis Bay traffic police to appeal "spotlights" case

The Chief Traffic Officer of the Walvis Bay municipality Mr Eben Platt saysthe town's magistrate's court made a wrong decision to strike two cases aboutthe alleged illegal mounting of spotlights on vehicles off the court roll. ThenMr Platt told an English daily, his department would appeal this decision, asit is wrong and misleading. He explained that such summonses would be issuedwithin the next two weeks to call back to court the accused persons for aproper hearing.
    I would like to know from Mr Platt the following:
    The Minister of Trans-port, in terms of GOVERNMENT NOTICE, No. 282 Promulgationof the Road Traffic and Transport Act, (Act 22 of 1999), whichreads as follows: “ (1) For the purposes of this Act, the Minister may,subject to the Public Service Act, 1995 (Act No. 13 of 1995), and on suchconditions as the Minister may determine, appoint such persons as the Ministermay consider necessary to be – Section 11, (d) traffic officers;
    And as Peace Officers in terms of Section 334 of the CPA, 1977 (Act no 51 og1977) appointed as a Mu-nicipal Traffic Officer.
    Mr Platt, this refers to the two cases which were struck from the roll in theWalvis Bay Magistrates court, and which were issued by a Nampol TrafficOfficer”
    Therefore, Mr. Platt, you have no powers and jurisdiction in these cases. OnlyNampol and the public prosecutor can appeal against it. You are actinginconsistently within your powers and jurisdictions. You and your departmentwould appeal the decision because to you it is wrong and misleading. MrPlatt, does your Council know you made unlawful comments in the newspaper? Thissounds like an offence and could be subjected to discipline.
    Mr. Platt you also said that the two accused were charged with an offence underthe Road Traffic and Transportation Regulations of 2001, because of fitted lamps not prescribed or authorised under these regulations. The offenceon the summonses refer to Regulation 203, r/w, Act 22/1999. NeitherMr Platt, nor the offences on the summonses, define the additional lamp/lights,which were “illegally” fitted to the vehicles. (for example, LED, LID, Hella,Hellogan ect.)
    It can only be assumed there is a manhunt for drivers of vehicles whichare fitted with such lamps.
    Regulation 203, which reflects on the charge sheet on summons 3398538,clearly refers to the fitment of lamps which are not prescribed or authorised,but the additional lamp is in fact prescribed and authorised by regulation175(1)(a)(iii) as well as in 176 of the said Regulations. Thus it becomesevident that the charge is defective in terms of Article 85 of the CriminalProcedure Act, 1977.
    HEADLAMPs: 175(1) A person may only operate on a public road – (a) a motorvehicle, other than a motorcycle, motor tricycle with one wheel in front or trailerif it is equipped in front on each side of its longitudinal centre line with -
    (I) one headlamp capable of emitting a main beam and a dipped beam;
    (ii) one headlamp capable of emitting main beam and one headlamp capable ofemitting a dipped beam; or
    (iii) one headlamp contemplated in subparagraph (i) or headlamps contemplatedin subparagraph (ii) and an additional headlamp capable of emitting a mainbeam;
    (2) At least one headlamp contemplated in sub-regulation (1) (a) capable ofemitting a dipped beam or a parking lamp complying with regulation 181 must beso fitted on each side of the longitudinal centre line of the motor vehicleconcerned that the portion of the illuminating surface thereof furthest fromthe longitudinal centre line of the motor vehicle is not more than 400millimeters from the outer edge of the front of the motor vehicle.
    (3) The main beam and dipped beam of a headlamp fit-ted to a motor vehiclefirst registered on or after 1 January 2002, must comply with the requirementsof standard specification of the South African Bureau of Standards, SABS 1046“Motor vehicle safety specification for lights and light signaling devicesinstalled on motor vehicles and trailers”, and standard specification SABS 1376“Lights for motor vehicles”, Part 2: “Head lights”. (filament bulbs)
    Main beam: 176. Every headlamp emitting a main beam or light must be soadjusted and maintained that -
    (a) it must be capable of adequately illuminating an area ahead of the motorvehicle concerned, enabling the driver to see any person, vehicle orsubstantial object at a distance of at least 100 meters ahead; and
    it can be extinguished by the use of a device which simultaneously must causeor allow the dipped beam of light to be emitted or continue to be emitted froma headlamp.
    NB: A certain Mr AF Potgieter was charged with the same offence (Reg 203), onthe 16th of September 2015, and a case was registered under SWK-CRM 4348/2015,with the magistrate, Mrs Surita Savage. The case was withdrawn with theverdict, charge defective. The verdict was given on 5 November 2015, when themagistrate clearly indicated that such charge does not exist.
    On 22 June 2017, a verdict of “not guilty” was given by the Magistrate ofMariental, in the case, “State versus JJ Louw”, on the charge of fitting a lampnot prescribed or authorised, in terms of regulation 203 of the Road Trafficand Trans-port Regulations, 2001 (GN 53 of 2001).
    It seems that a revengeful manhunt is going on against owners of vehicles whichare fitted with LED lamps.
    The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Trans-port issued a Public Noticeunder his own signature, referring to the Ministry of Works and Transport, andnot the Minister, declaring that the LED lamps are illegal. Whereby it is thesole duty of the Minister to draft and submit a regulation amendment to thegovernmental legal drafters for promulgation in order to declare the LED lampsillegal.
    The Permanent Secretary wanted to play the role of a dedicated judicialofficer, but in reality, he actually misused his powers issuing such an illegalPublic Notice.
    I want to add the following: In case of future incidents in which a member ofthe public is charged with the violation of illegal lamps/ lights and foundguilty, please report the matter to the line Minister, quoting Section 9 of theSuspension or revocation of registration of authorised officer, with emphasison number 9(2) a and b.“”
    Suspension or revocation of registration of authorised officer: 9(1) TheMinister may suspend or revoke the registration of an authorised officer, ifthe Minister is satisfied that the authorised officer-
    a) has committed an act of misconduct, as set out in sub regulation (2), in theexercise of his or her powers or the performance of his or her duties; or
    b) in capable of exercising his or her powers or per-forming his or her dutiesor is incompetent to exercise his or her powers or to perform his or herduties, as an authorised officer, in the category in which he or she isregistered.
    (2) An authorised officer commits an act of misconduct if he or she -
    a) contravenes a term or a condition of this or her registration as anauthorised officer;
    e) engages himself or herself, without permission, in any activity whichconflicts with the performance of his or her duties as an authorised officer;
    Written by:
    Fanie Kruger.
    Note: Registered under the Companies Act, 2004, Section 43(2). Registered asFana Traffic Consult (Reg. Nu D/2017/1843).
    The content hereof reflects my professional opinion on this matter.
    "Meerkat"
    08' 3.2did Pajero Gls -minor mods
    06' V6 Colt with some personal touches
    ex - modded Disco2 V8
    ex - modded RRC V8
    ex - modded 130 300tdi
    ex - modded SWB Pajero V6
    ex - modded Mitsu Delica tdi
    ex - Modded DC Hilux 4Y

Received this on whatsapp & appears legit, so be warned.
    Bennie van der Merwe
    Windhoek
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Prev 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb M/T

I am about to fit 2 x LED spots. But I will make some hoods for them. So when driving in places that object, I can close them.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Hi, So what is illegal now, the LED Lightbar or LED round spotlights as well? Lets assume the round LED spotlights are fitted according to regulations.

Why do you want to fit LED's in any case? A set of Cibi's or Lightforce are miles better than the LEDs
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Why do you want to fit LED's in any case? A set of Cibi's or Lightforce are miles better than the LEDs
    My previous HiD spots was very impressive...

Also, for visiting and overlanding in Namibia, why plan to do so much night driving to warrant LED bars? I understand if you drive daily long distances for work or something, but why on a holiday?

If I understand correctly, LED light bars, even when covered, will be taken off and is deemed illegal.
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

To be honest I dont know, have been told different stories by various retailers, but I have always been partial to the lightforce, etc. spots. Have been contemplating adding spotlights to my vehicle, I do not do a lot of night driving, but I am one of those rather have it and not need it, than needing it and not have it. So I would appreciate any guidance in whether having spots would make that much of a difference or whether if is really necessary?
    Last edited by Bertie Safari; Yesterday at 08:49 AM.

I am by no means an expert in lights. I am relaying messages from friends who understand these things.

The LED's make one hell of a white light in front of you, but apparently not near the distance Lightforce/Cibi's can achieve

I have also heard that the lightbar reflects quite badly on gravel road (my Dad removed his because of this. Did a lot of early morning driving)
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

I, for one, like spots and agree with having them for those odd times you drive at night and need good, long distance viewing. Your eyes doesn't get as tired and of course better vision is priceless at night time with animals roaming around. My previous comment was about why fitting LED light bars is so essential vs fitting a really good pair of spots with which you know you will not get into trouble with and will surely also deliver very good and proper light for night time driving?
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sniper For This Useful Post:

Yes thanks I agree, a pair of good spots, not LED, would be the best option. Thanks.

self edited
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; Yesterday at 09:36 AM.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer

guys, led's are legal
    The law however states that you HAVE to follow the spotlight regulatory stipulations.
    Follow those and you are good to go.