Paperwork required selling trailer privately

Default Paperwork required selling trailer privately

Hi, I am in the process of selling my camping trailer privately. Besides the change of ownership form, what other paperwork is required in order for the new owner to register the trailer on his name?
    2014 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 Auto 4x4
    2015 Jurgens XT140 Ext... maar ek soek 'n Bush Lapa
    Who needs a diff lock if you have 500Nm's

Default Re: Paperwork required selling trailer privately

Quote Originally Posted by globaljaco View Post
    Hi, I am in the process of selling my camping trailer privately. Besides the change of ownership form, what other paperwork is required in order for the new owner to register the trailer on his name?
    Copies of IDs
    Proof of residence
    Licence form
    Keep a copy of a signed sale agreement thatís been witnessed

Do the change of ownership in duplicate with buyer's ID copies as well - so that if they fail to register it, you are able to take it off your name
    Mark Trollope
    Prado 120 V6, Fortuner V6, Hilux 2.7, Cruiser 80 EFi, Cruiser 75, Lexus RX350, Jurgens Xplorer

get the "yellow form" from the traffic department .... both sign it, and make sure you submit this ASAP to get the trailer off your name.

while getting the yellow form you can confirm if you need the green or blue form as well ...

ID's

buyer will need a copy of the receipt, best you also keep a copy to record the date of transfer

did I mention the YELLOW form ?

Most important is the vehicle registration paper, he will also need a road worthy certificate
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for Metalian & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Must have a valid license disc to do the change of ownership.

I recently went through this with a trailer I was given.. Cape Town area, for what it's worth...

The buyer will need to leave with the Registration Certificate and a copy of the Yellow form, a copy of your ID and the receipt/sale agreement.

You need to keep the original Yellow form and go post haste to the Traffic Department to get it OFF your name and onto his. Don't delay this as any fines etc incurred before it comes off your name will be for your account.

He will then need to Register in his name, for this he will need his ID, proof of residence and RWC if done.
    If not yet RWC, then he will get ONLY the Registration Certificate and not a License Disc as the trailer is not yet roadworthy.

The trailer won't need a current license disc, the Traffic Department will simply calculate how far behind the license is and apply the relevant penalty charges when he registers it in his name.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    The trailer won't need a current license disc, the Traffic Department will simply calculate how far behind the license is and apply the relevant penalty charges when he registers it in his name.
    incorrect

North West and Gauteng now as per 1 May demand that the previous owner settle the outstanding amounts.

The buyer can no longer settle retroactively.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    incorrect

North West and Gauteng now as per 1 May demand that the previous owner settle the outstanding amounts.

I have had the same experience with the George licensing dept, they won't process the transfer of ownership without a valid license disc, if it's expired the previous owner must first renew it.

It seems what they do is if you as an owner try submit the yellow doc and the license is expired you have to renew it on the spot and then they process it, which means the new owner scores a year's licensing fees.

See here
    2012 LR Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
    2018 Bushlapa Miskruier #1384

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    incorrect

Fair enough.. my transaction was in Milnerton and pre-1 May.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

If the seller fails or won't pay for outstanding license fees, and he takes it off his name, what is generally the cost to register from 'no papers'?
    ''​Luck favours the prepared man''

Discovery 3 HSE - 2.7V6Tdi 2008
    De-cat, free flowed, EGR block, DE lift rods, Bullbar & Rocksliders, 2x LED spots & 2x LED rectangular spots, FR ladder, 18'' Compomotive rims + 265 Desert Hawk XMT muds.

Quote Originally Posted by Naguiltjie View Post
    If the seller fails or won't pay for outstanding license fees, and he takes it off his name, what is generally the cost to register from 'no papers'?
    Most of the cost is going to be time related.

Data dot costs about R350, roadworthy another R350. If you get the weighbridge certificate at the traffic department it is free, otherwise will need a qoute from your local weighbridge operator.

Have done the whole lot in a day before. Technically you need to first apply for a temporary permit in order to tow the trailer around to get all this done, but I have never bothered with that.

It will however show as built~up on the reg certificate, unless you can furnish a builders certificate at the registration process, this could be a problem for your insurance.

Depending on how thorough the police are at your local license centre, you may need to provide evidence of reciepts for matarials etc if registering as built up