Tyres for overland journey.

Default Tyres for overland journey.

I'm in need of some advice.
    Doing a 13 000km overland trip in a 2.2 Ranger and I need to change the current Conti tyres for something more robust.
    Been thinking of a the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 but the eye watering price made me re-evaluate them.
    Any idea on which could/would last and provide good grip in gravel travel and tar roads?

The current size is 255/70 R16 so something close would probably be the best bet as I don't want to sacrifice too much power and fuel consumption.

All inputs are appreciated.
    4xFord
    2006 Ford Ranger 4000 V6 - Sold
    1990 Honda Ballade 160i - Sold
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL 4x4 double cab
    Built Ford Tough.

Default Re: Tyres for overland journey.

I run BFG AT KO2's after I took off the Continentals fitted by the factory- great tyres with 3 ply sidewalls. Most users get 80 000 km Plus out of their BFG's. The BFGs are quieter than the originally fitted Continentals as well .

Quote Originally Posted by brandonlaing View Post
    I run BFG AT KO2's after I took off the Continentals fitted by the factory- great tyres with 3 ply sidewalls. Most users get 80 000 km Plus out of their BFG's. The BFGs are quieter than the originally fitted Continentals as well .
    They are also very good looking. Guess I'll have to phone around for prices
    Built Ford Tough.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4xFord For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
    They are also very good looking. Guess I'll have to phone around for prices
    If it is dirt and tar that you are going to travel on, get the Goodyear Wrangler Adventurers with kevlar. Less than half the price and same performance on dirt and better performance on tar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam16 View Post
    If it is dirt and tar that you are going to travel on, get the Goodyear Wrangler Adventurers with kevlar. Less than half the price and same performance on dirt and better performance on tar.
    Problem is the Namibia part where we will likely be doing some stoney roads which I am afraid will tear a whole in the side wall
    Built Ford Tough.

Problem is the Namibia part where we will likely be doing some stoney roads which I am afraid will tear a whole in the side wall
    Did Namibia with the standard contis with no punctures.
    Kenneth

2016 Ranger XL 2.2 auto double cab 4x4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyg View Post
    Did Namibia with the standard contis with no punctures.
    What route did you follow? I don't mind the Contis except that they look crap. Big plus point is that I then have some cash so spend on other necessities.
    Built Ford Tough.

We started in ghanzi botswana, then went to windhoek, ameib, swakopmund, madisa damaraland, kamanjab, etosha, kaisosi rundu, ghuma lagoon botswana and back home.

If you feel like putting on some new shoes go for it. But imo you do not need the eye watering expensive ones as they can fail just like any other brand. Probably a smaller % but can still happen. I have hankooks on my ranger now and they are miles better than the contis.
    Kenneth

Yeah that is my way of thinking too. Might just as well save the money for other expenses and if a tyre is damaged I can buy one from the nearest big town and replace.
    I know it is probably more dangerous, but what the hell. Its an adventure anyway
    Built Ford Tough.

Drove thousands of kilometers in Namibia (and on local gravel roads) with Goodyear Wranglers. No issues. Goodyear All Terrain Adventure is an upgrade of sorts from the Wranglers. They now also have Kevlar in the sidewalls (like BFs). BFs are very robust but have terrible grip on tar, especially if it gets wet. Plus the Goodyear cost a fraction of the price.

We were two rangers, both with the standard contis doing that route. Total was just under 8000km of which a good 1000 to 2000 km was dirt roads. No issues on either vehicles on the dirt roads, however we both got a puncture from nails on tar roads. Me in botswana and the other ranger in swakopmund. Quick plug and off we went again. Just adjust the pressures according to the road.

A good set ot A/T tyres can set you back half the price of some of the more expensive brands and do the job just as well. The saving can then add to the trip or what ever.

Just enjoy it. Its a beautiful place and if you get a flat, plug it and enjoy the view. If it cannot be plugged pop on the spare and enjoy the view. Its part of the journey
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyg View Post
    We were two rangers, both with the standard contis doing that route. Total was just under 8000km of which a good 1000 to 2000 km was dirt roads. No issues on either vehicles on the dirt roads, however we both got a puncture from nails on tar roads. Me in botswana and the other ranger in swakopmund. Quick plug and off we went again. Just adjust the pressures according to the road.

A good set ot A/T tyres can set you back half the price of some of the more expensive brands and do the job just as well. The saving can then add to the trip or what ever.

Just enjoy it. Its a beautiful place and if you get a flat, plug it and enjoy the view. If it cannot be plugged pop on the spare and enjoy the view. Its part of the journey
    Thats the way to do it, haha yes I agree. And even if we do get stuck there is a built land cruiser to do the towing out.
    I'm going with the standard Contis for now. If I suddenly win the lottery I'll put something nice on the wheels but until then they will do just fine.
    Built Ford Tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kambro View Post
    Drove thousands of kilometers in Namibia (and on local gravel roads) with Goodyear Wranglers. No issues. Goodyear All Terrain Adventure is an upgrade of sorts from the Wranglers. They now also have Kevlar in the sidewalls (like BFs). BFs are very robust but have terrible grip on tar, especially if it gets wet. Plus the Goodyear cost a fraction of the price.
    Thanks, I have read some good reviews of the Goodyears. Will have a look when these Contis are done for in a few months/years time.
    Built Ford Tough.

Thats the way to do it, haha yes I agree. And even if we do get stuck there is a built land cruiser to do the towing out.
    I'm going with the standard Contis for now. If I suddenly win the lottery I'll put something nice on the wheels but until then they will do just fine.
    Enjoy it, but I am sure you will.
    Kenneth

We are currently in Sossusvlei and some roads are pretty bad.
    I changed from Maxxis Bighorn MT to Goodyear Wrangler Adventures before the trip, was a bit sceptical of the AT, was used to the strong MT tyre but so far so good, impressed by die Adventures and saw them on a couple of local 4x4s as well. My fuel consumption has decreased dramatically as well which is always good.
    Jaco
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

Thanks, I have read some good reviews of the Goodyears. Will have a look when these Contis are done for in a few months/years time.
    The Contis will do great!! I got the oler Contis World contact on my Isuzu now for 3 years and most of 30000 gravel travel all over Namibia Kaokoland inclusive and no flat or damaged sidewalls, just check where you put your wheels and you will be O.K.

I went up to Uganda and back down with Continental tyres. No issues in any terrain. Only concern was that I had to change them at 30000km. I am now using BF and just back from Kaokoland. No puncture and maybe I was more confident. On my other car, I have Hankook. I do not think that the price of the BF is worth it.