How will this new law affect this forum? - Page 2




Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    42
    Posts
    728
    Thanked: 223

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    Never mind the pub or this forum - Poor Trevor Noah...
    Now there is a can of worms....If anyone is a professional comedian, now is a good time to update your CV
    1996 Discovery 1 (I want to drive everyday)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (I drive everyday)
    2008 Nissan Grand Livina (SWAMBO's ride)

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    55
    Posts
    26,940
    Thanked: 4293

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    And is uMlungu then not an issue?

    It means white scum of the sea, referring to the way white people came ashore in Africa when they first arrived.

    I'm not so happy with THAT.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    63
    Posts
    139
    Thanked: 363

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Lucky you.

    It will have no influence on you, since you have never uttered a bad word towards anybody in the past, especially not towards me.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    55
    Posts
    26,940
    Thanked: 4293

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by WillemPieter View Post
    Lucky you.

    It will have no influence on you, since you have never uttered a bad word towards anybody in the past, especially not towards me.
    careful now buddy

    what you're doing is very close to stalking
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville or some bush
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,223
    Thanked: 528

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    So we can still discriminate based on vehicle choices? Phew..
    2012 LR Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
    2018 Bushlapa Miskruier #138
    4

    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    46
    Posts
    14,934
    Thanked: 2093

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    So we can still discriminate based on vehicle choices? Phew..
    But not call it names

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Blantyre, Malawi
    Posts
    224
    Thanked: 118

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    And is uMlungu then not an issue?

    It means white scum of the sea, referring to the way white people came ashore in Africa when they first arrived.

    I'm not so happy with THAT.
    I don't know how the expression is used in SA, but the root word is used throughout East and Southern Africa to indicate a person of European descent . In Mozambique it's often mulungu, in Shona it's murungu, in Chichewa mzungu (plural, azungu). When I have been addressed as such it has never been in a disrespectful way, mostly in a matter of fact way (IE: in a queue at the doctor's, someone might say, " you are fourth in line , after the zungu, who is third '). I have never heard it used with negative connotations.
    Cheers

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    42
    Posts
    728
    Thanked: 223

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Must admit, I've worked in Kwamhlanga for many years and learnt some Ndebele which is close to Zulu as I understand, so I speak a little. They also called me Mlungu and I never felt disrespected. That being said I can call my dog a stupid b*tch in a nice tone of voice and she'll still wag her tail.

    What is direct translation of Muntu then Jelo?
    1996 Discovery 1 (I want to drive everyday)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (I drive everyday)
    2008 Nissan Grand Livina (SWAMBO's ride)

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    46
    Posts
    14,934
    Thanked: 2093

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    The direction of this discussion is not where we want nor need to go.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,444
    Thanked: 183

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    But not call it names
    May we still call Toyota's 'Appliances
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul


  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,536
    Thanked: 435

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    So in effect the fact that you corrected me could mean that I take offence, and as such I wan't justice for it, because I now feel contempt? Or only if you corrected me based on one of those characteristics? Could I argue you corrected me because of my age?

    Sounds like another e-toll to me. Not thought through, no way in hell they can possibly lock up all that "break the law"
    Age ? No - you're far too young !

    But if you call me an old toppie - Eish man !!!!!!!

    So sad actually.

    I know there are legitimate and real cases of hate speech and those should be punished accordingly depending on severity - BUT that rule and consequence should apply across the board no matter who or which "category / class, whatever" or of whatever political affiliation or standing made the statement !

    There should also be a clear and reasonably narrow definition as to what comprises "hate speech" and what does not = otherwise a can of worms.

    Off to the bush asap - oops - there's monkeys there. (love them as naughty as they are - just BEING monkeys after all.)

    I notice that several high profile political figures can so anything they like without any consequence at all.

    Oh ! I call my grandchildren and great grandchildren "little monkeys" (complete with underarm scratching movements and mention of bananas) - and they LOVE it.

    My next door neighbour's children also take no exception and in fact respond in a similar way to much delight.

    Can we get some sanity here please ?
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Eversdal, Kaapstad
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,061
    Thanked: 469

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by johannes14 View Post
    May we still call Toyota's 'Appliances
    For sure. As long as we can call you cranky
    2017 Cruiser 200
    2012 Ford T6
    2016 Bush Lapa Ratel Nr731

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    King Williams Town
    Age
    50
    Posts
    6,711
    Thanked: 573

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Would this law apply to a marriage as well.....got to tell wife she can't call me names
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    673
    Thanked: 255

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Essentially just another law to protect the majority ne?
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:


  16. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    swakopmund
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,957
    Thanked: 884

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    so the next one calling the x5 a softie will be immediately called a hardie............

    Somehow that does not sound very criminal to me ............

  17. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Noordhoek, Cape Town
    Age
    59
    Posts
    6,917
    Thanked: 2432

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    They did not mention cyclists in lycra pants.

  18. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    55
    Posts
    26,940
    Thanked: 4293

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Would this law apply to a marriage as well.....got to tell wife she can't call me names
    effectively it will be a law

    you could indeed have your wife arrested for insulting your manhood..........

    one way of getting rid of her I suppose
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

  19. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    King Williams Town
    Age
    50
    Posts
    6,711
    Thanked: 573

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    effectively it will be a law

    you could indeed have your wife arrested for insulting your manhood..........

    one way of getting rid of her I suppose
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

  20. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanked: 801

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Age ? No - you're far too young !

    But if you call me an old toppie - Eish man !!!!!!!

    So sad actually.

    I know there are legitimate and real cases of hate speech and those should be punished accordingly depending on severity - BUT that rule and consequence should apply across the board no matter who or which "category / class, whatever" or of whatever political affiliation or standing made the statement !

    There should also be a clear and reasonably narrow definition as to what comprises "hate speech" and what does not = otherwise a can of worms.

    Off to the bush asap - oops - there's monkeys there. (love them as naughty as they are - just BEING monkeys after all.)

    I notice that several high profile political figures can so anything they like without any consequence at all.

    Oh ! I call my grandchildren and great grandchildren "little monkeys" (complete with underarm scratching movements and mention of bananas) - and they LOVE it.

    My next door neighbour's children also take no exception and in fact respond in a similar way to much delight.

    Can we get some sanity here please ?
    That is what worries me as well.
    That this will be applied to a specific group and will just be ignored by the likes of Malema

    Free speech should not mean no consequences to what you say
    But it should also not be a one sided track.

    And the other worry is how long after this is passed will it be edited so that if you say that the ANC is acting incorrectly that it is also illegal. (or that any party is acting like non-hominoid simians)
    Slippery slope
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2018/04/17 at 06:18 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

    Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

  21. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    923
    Thanked: 218

    Default Re: How will this new law affect this forum?

    I don't see IQ on the list, so I can still call people stupid
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •