Advice from experienced travelers/pensioners

Default Advice from experienced travelers/pensioners

I am now in the position I must choose the rig for my future travels.
    I have 3 basic options of which I can choose baring in mind swambo is scarred of heights and she can not get into a rooftop tent.
    1) a fully rigged 4x4 Defender with bed inside (roof lifts up for bed inside) or 4x4 bakkie with canopy camper on the back.

2)a 4x4 bakkie/Defender well equipped towing a small 2 sleeper offroad caravan.

3) I can get a Land Rover Forward Control which has a professionally fitted Lexus V8 with disc brakes and aircon fitted motorhome style camper. This vehicle can also tow a small 4x4 such as a Jimney or Pajero shorty on an A frame

Please read the usage before commenting.
    The usage would be at times for touring and a few 1 and 2 night stops and then some 3 and 4 night stops with game drives and visits to interesting places in the area.
    It will also be used for longer stays 7 to 14 days in one spot for beach and fishing holidays.
    Places we would like to visit among others are Namibia North and South. Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi and maybe up to Tanzania and Kenya and places in South Africa like Rigtersveld garden route,wild coast and many other areas.
    I find it difficult to decide which rig would be most suited as all of them have their pro`s and cons such as you can not reverse with a vehicle on an A frame etc.
    Eventually the decision will fall on to me but I would like to hear from you to get a better idea before I make my choice.
    Thank you.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly AND FOR THE SAME REASON
    Save the rhino kill a poacher
    Dung beetles have right of way
    2006 DISCO 3 TDV6 HSE
    1998 Disco I V8 Bought it back Sold again.
    1973 Series IIA 109 (Jorrie)
    1974 Series III S/W modified Ford V6 Defender box. Body work (Sold)

Default Re: Advice from experienced travelers/pensioners

Having a rigged camper is a nice to have and for purely one night stops a fair choice, I say fair because your kit that you can take along is limited and can cause a lot of moving stuff around to make the bed. I have done a fair bit of one nighters with the rooftop tent and for one nighters.......bearable. Doing longer stop overs at a place it becomes a schlepp.

For me the idea of a small caravan makes the most sense. One night stop overs is easy as and you don't even have to unhitch. Like the place ...easy unhitch and your place is secured no other folks can take your campsite, You have somewhere to come home to that is "pitched" and waiting for you, you dont have to unload everything to sleep or prepare food. When you strike bad weather a caravan is a bit bigger than the back of a LR, please note I said when not if

As for a forward control ....... workable but with a 1UZ conversion......... walk away you will have reliability issues as well as problems in getting spares. If you can get spares it will cost an arm and a leg and then you still have to tow another car along . I have done a lot of conversions in my life, enough to know not to fool with my touring vehicle. Yes I have tuned her and uprated a few bits and pieces but reliability has always been primary.

Hope it helps. BTW who is going to give us updates of that side of he pond if you go touring
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for Metalian & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

I am hopefully selling the lodge but my house I am keeping as my home base so when not on the road I will still be around
    2006 DISCO 3 TDV6 HSE

Ernie I would say to go for the small offroad caravan - then no need to tow an extra vehicle and as said above - no need to re-set up each time you want to go out or take a game drive or track etc.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

The Forward Control would be the coolest thing, no doubt....but most likely not the most sensible choice for reasons mentioned by hbannink....unfortunately....

The Defender with the flip up roof and bed inside:
    From the driving point of view this would be the best setup since you don't have to worry about a trailer or a vehicle on an a-frame behind your car and will enable you to visit literally any place if you want to.
    Everything else really depends on how it is build. It can (most likely will be) be cramped inside and it can be a hassle, depending on the conversion, to set up and get it ready to drive. It will most likely involve some 'climbing': Getting into the vehicle, getting out the vehicle, getting into the bed, getting out of the bed. Most likely fine for now, but think 5-10 years down the line (in case the 66 in your profile is true...).

2-Sleeper offroad caravan: Lots of choices there and the confusion will start when looking at what is available on the market and it will get even more confusing when opening a new thread here on the forum with the title 'what will be the right off camper trailer for me?'
    Even though a trailer wouldn't be my first choice for various reasons, there are some really nice ones out there. But like everything else, they do come with pro and cons.

As an alternative: A Defender or bakkie with a camper cabin build behind the seats.

Maybe you should reflect on how you traveled so far and go from there. I guess on every trip there is a moment where someone thinks about his personal 'ideal setup' and makes virtual modifications to his existing one in order to design the most perfect virtual setup. This could be your blue print.... And since Swambo will be your travel buddy: What are her thoughts?....happy wife, happy camper life...

I guess all the answers you will receive here will give you plenty of food for thoughts. I am curious to see on where you settle down in the end...
    Last edited by LR110; 2018/04/16 at 04:18 AM.
    2002 - Defender 110, TD5
    2016 - Duster

Shemula, 1st thing; good on you for having plans like that. Even when choosing the "wrong" vehicle, it would be better than not doing it at all....

Forward control is an idea if you are a seasoned Landy man, but NOT for towing too.
    I'm not a camper man as I travel "my way", but in your case it is a good option. Keep the weight down and simple to pitch and take down. Rather take simplicity over bells and whistles...
    A pop-top defender is a good idea (and closer to "my way") You will be limited in what you take with, or it will be to cramped. Also consider converting a 130 into a Hiline with pop-top or pop-top and throw-over sleeper (over the cab and nose). Keeping heights as close to standard as possible.
    Since you sound like a Landy man, maybe best not to suggest a Cruiser Troopy with a 1HZ diesel...
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

Our experience: www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk
    Kevin and Michelle Heyes
    [/SIGPIC]
    www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk

Thank you so far for all your coments and thoughts. I have been battleing fo a few months now and every time the other option seems better. This was the origen of this thread..I am a Landy man as I have rebuilt 6 series Landy's from a 1961 88 " series 2 to a 1984 series 3 .Now busy with no 7.
    The caravan will be a 2 sleeper if I gothat route.
    2006 DISCO 3 TDV6 HSE

My two cents:

Forget the forward control - ungainly, unreliable, dogs to drive, you'll pay extra in some reserves because of the size, etc etc.
    It's a pity that a rooftop tent is out of the equation, as that would be my first option. Given that, I would go for the vehicle/caravan combo as a long-term plan. That gives you far more comfort for longer stays, even though it will rule out travelling some of the rougher routes in the region.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Certain routes don't allow trailers. For instance the nossob eco trail in Kgalagadi so perhaps a combo of a camper van/bakkie with removable camper type setup for those and the camp trailer for most of the time.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

going through the same problem as you, i looked at a 4x4 sprinter to make a nice touring camper but the price tag put a quick end to that out of your choices a landy with a pop top that you sleep up in sounds the best my problem with a caravan is cant tow a boat but will be the most comfortable and i like to go from fishing spot to spot

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Ernie I would say to go for the small offroad caravan - then no need to tow an extra vehicle and as said above - no need to re-set up each time you want to go out or take a game drive or track etc.
    Agree with Peter.
    Up to the Companion style caravan should be suitable.

Now don't kill the messenger but I strongly advise to stay away from the Land rover options you mention and I am sincere not sarcastic at all.
    - At your age you do not want to sit with more than the average vehicle hic-ups.
    - Defenders are discontinued and although spare parts and assistance is in abundance you do not want it.
    - Search this 4x4community program and the most reported problems encountered on type of vehicles is the Land Rover marque. As good and loving as they are off-road they are always a risk.
    - Rather look for a vehicle that has a reputation of trustworthy. Spend (invest??) that little more Rands in the beginning. You will not be sorry.

Good luck and safe travels.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Shemula kry vir jou n Camper wat jy agterop jou 4x4 kan sit dan ry jy enige plek en baie gemaklik

thank you for all tour suggestions and advice. I think I have gutted the Forward control now I am left with the alternate two.
    2006 DISCO 3 TDV6 HSE

What about this pop top idea from Alu Cab. A handyman should be able to knock something up at halve price.
    Being a roof top tent that is accessed from the inside, it should suit the wife more.
    Sleeping at roof height you retain living space below (for bad weather) and get a better breeze on those warm east coast nights...

http://alu.cab/en/icarus-rooftop-conversion/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/