Advice from experienced travelers/pensioners - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Advice from experienced travelers/pensioners

Thanks guys - good thread. Roadman could you send me some pics / info of your installation please? I have a Land Rover 110 TD 5 hard top (daily ride) and cannot afford a caravan or camping trailer. I am "a long in the few teeth left" ex infantry guy used to camping. Thank you all, I have learned a lot from this community.

Sounds great "DGWMUNDY". Please try to send some pics but I cannot Advise you on how to do this as I am not techno savvy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Tennant View Post
    Sounds great "DGWMUNDY". Please try to send some pics but I cannot Advise you on how to do this as I am not techno savvy!
    Hi. Iíd love to but can anyone tell me how. Otherwise email me and Iíll get back to you. dgwmundy1234@gmail.com Regards Des

Very easy to attach pictures - go to the attachments icon in the "Reply to thread" window (second from top right, a badly drawn paper clip) and click on it. It will open a window on the left of the screen, click on choose file, select the picture you want from your computer (it will ask you where you want to fetch it from), click and voila! Then click on "upload". Repeat for multiple images.

Here's two photos of our setup - the first is of our Land Rover (a 1969 Series IIA) that my wife and I lived in for two years, all over Africa. The second is our current rig, in which we have camped all over southern and central Africa, raising two kids who now constantly want to borrow the Land Rover for their own trips. The awnings from the original rig are still in use on my current Land Rover as side panel extensions.

And for those on this thread who poo poo Land Rovers, our Series IIA was already 26 years old when we went travelling for two years, covering 65 000km without a major breakdown. Our current Land Rover (110 V eight is 27 years old, and has only broken down once, when we blew a water pump. It has nearly 350 000km on the clock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R1-03088-0042.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	486419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0355.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	486420  
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/04/23 at 06:23 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi, got 1 pic on but tried a few others too. Didnít come up but will try again. Des

Thanks dwgmundy - awesome set up and thanks TONY WEAVER! Now I also know how to do it.

Thanks Tony! Awesome first pic of your previous 1969 Series 2. The vehicle and kit looks impressive (shovels, aluminium sand channels, loaded roof rack, modified rear window security, etc). It would be interesting to read your kit list. Thank you for taking the time to explain to us how to put a picture on the thread. I have noted many of the previous replies and inputs that you have given on this site and thank you for your good advice and comments, which have been beneficial for all of us..By the way I was born in Cape Town. I might even have met your father once, when I was a kid, but cannot be sure (fading memory Im afraid but it was probably some 55 years ago!).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rod Tennant For This Useful Post:

Thanks Tony! Awesome first pic of your previous 1969 Series 2. The vehicle and kit looks impressive (shovels, aluminium sand channels, loaded roof rack, modified rear window security, etc). It would be interesting to read your kit list. Thank you for taking the time to explain to us how to put a picture on the thread. I have noted many of the previous replies and inputs that you have given on this site and thank you for your good advice and comments, which have been beneficial for all of us..By the way I was born in Cape Town. I might even have met your father once, when I was a kid, but cannot be sure (fading memory Im afraid but it was probably some 55 years ago!).

Hi Rod, thanks for the kind words - if you go to the overland section http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ce-reports-etc and scroll down to below the country headings, you'll come to a set of stickys where myself, Stan Weakley, Mike Garnham and Gerrie have posted a variety of pieces on overlanding, from kitting out a vehicle, to medical advice from Stan, bush survival, crossing borders etc.
    We grew up in Somerset West, but went to high school in Cape Town - my dad, John, was born in 1924, if that helps.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; Yesterday at 05:05 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

I'm with Tony Weaver re his LR comments. We only owned one for overlanding, and I used it as my daily work vehicle as well. It was an old 84 Defender, ex Botswana, battered originally, with a 2.5 litre petrol engine, which consumed more than the V8, but only managing a fraction of the speed if not travelling downhill. I dropped in a tdi, and it has been extremely reliable on all trips.

We also went through this exercise after our last Bots trip, and eventually accepted the fact that we would be in trouble if my back gave problems on one of the trips, as it would make it difficult to open and close the RTT. Because of a previous op, swambo does not have the strength to open and close a RTT on her own.

So we looked at other options. Requirements included ease of setting up camp, and comfort levels. It had to match or better our setup with RTT. Ground tents are out as they involve too much effort. Even with the new quick set-up tents.

Caravans and trailers provide great comfort levels. Trailers would be ideal as they are lighter than the caravans, but require too much effort (for our liking). But the main reason they do not feature for us is that they limit us where we can go, like areas in Damaraland where you might have to reverse in soft sand to get away from an ellie. If it was not for this, we would probably have gone for one of the off-road caravans.

That left us with the camper idea. We bought a FC101 for this purpose, but the build never got off the ground, partly because I realised that the cab would have been to cramped for me on long trips. The 2B would have been a better solution for us. The 101 is now owned by someone else on this forum, who will hopefully turn it into something great. We ended up with an Iveco Daily 4x4.

It ticks most boxes, even if not all. All comfort levels are ticked, as well as the quick setup, which is measured basically by how quickly you can setup chairs, and pour a cold one. Breaking up camp for a game drive is not an issue - you can be gone in a minute or two - depends how quick you are with closing doors. The negatives are it's weight. Our tare is 4 tons, so our travelling weight is close to 4.75 tons. You obviously will need a heavy duty license, which is not a problem. But park fees in Botswana are ridiculously expensive for anything over 3.5 tons. Something like P1000 per day for the vehicle. Just wait for the day they catch on that many of our 1ton overland vehicles are overloaded above 3.5 tons....

But the vehicle will go where any other 1 ton 4x4 will go, if vegetation is not too dense. We opted for a full height camper, and not a pop-up roof, which has obvious height benefits. So certain overgrown routes will be out for us. It is perfectly fine to travel through game reserves like Hluhluwe, but some routes in other game parks, like Tembe, will cause serious scraping.

Cost is obviously higher, as well as running costs, insurance etc. Mind you, at 6-7km/l, it is cheaper to run, fuel wise, to many of our petrol 1 ton 4x4s.

This vehicle will not be everyone's cup of tea. Each one will have to make a check list of what they want, and then shop accordingly. There are enough options out there for each one to get a near perfect solution for their own requirements, like many mentioned in previous posts. There is not one solution which fits all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2