4M40 motor - overheating [AMC head installed]

Default 4M40 motor - overheating [AMC head installed]

Hello all,

I am posting on behalf of my dad who is having a spate of trouble with his 2002 ClubCab 2.8 TD and would appreciate some assistance and guidance with an overheating issue that seems to be persistent.

The bakkie has a bit over 400k km on the odometer, and recently (around 395k km mark) we removed the stock head due to a minor crack and installed an AMC one with new valves, stem seals, springs and gaskets. The stretch bolts were also replaced and torqued up to spec using the intricate 90-degree method as recommended.

The bakkie was giving symptoms of overheating which led to investigation which led to the discovery of bubbles in the coolant overflow bottle. Long story short, a new head was acquired and installed and the bakkie seems to have been behaving...or has it? Yesterday was one damn hot day and the bakkie was en route back to Port Alfred when going up one of the many hills the temperature gauge started rising and got close to the red. The bakkie was pulled off and allowed to cool down and driven back more sedately to keep the temperature in check until it got to its destination.

We got the bakkie back to PE, but were unable to find a good reliable indy to have a look at the problem as most of them refuse to touch diesel engines (must be nice when mecchies can be picky over what work they want to do).

To summarize:

-Bakkie was losing coolant due to cracked head. Head replaced with AMC unit
    -Thermostat, water pump and radiator cap replaced
    -Bakkie temps are normal, but started getting hot going up a hill yesterday
    -Radiator is clear of obstructions and fins are clear and the majority of them are not bent
    -Viscous fan operational

Are there any glaringly obvious steps that I may have missed, or any other recommendations I could try? Any recommendations for a good indy mecchie in the PE area who is willing to get their hands dirty with a 4M40 motor would also be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: 4M40 motor - overheating [AMC head installed]

Was the cooling system bled properly? Thermostat installed in the correct orientation?
    Are you still getting bubbles in the coolant? A friend of mine had the coolant bubbles even after the AMC head was installed, luckily for him it was a blown head gasket but I think either his head or block was no longer flat.
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2DiD

Is there an AC condensor in front of the radiator? If so, are the fins clean and straight?

Did you remove the intercooler and have it cleaned, interior and exterior?

Are you using the correct type and ratio of coolant?

Did you change a bumper/bashplate or ad anything else that might hinder the airflow through the engine bay?
    2005 Pajero 3.2D LWB Auto
    1999 Pajero 3.5V6 LWB Manual - Deceased

PS: Does the bakkie have a freeflow exhaust on, with a decent sized down pipe from the turbo? It will help the heat escape faster.

Did you flush the whole coolant system (engine block and pipes) or just the radiator?

Maybe install a stronger, electrical fan.
    Last edited by macjohnw; 2018/03/15 at 06:45 AM.

After 400,000kms I'd replace the radiator.

Unless it is a magic special radiator, there will definitely be stuff in there that you can't flush.

Secondly, heat increase under load could also imply over fuelling: what are the exhaust gas temps?

Lastly, was the BLOCK checked for any warping?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Was a genuine thermostat used?
    Was a genuine cap used?
    Get the radiator recored to a three core. - better heat dissipation and larger coolant capacity

Next time it starts getting hot, open the windows and put the heater on full with fan on full settings. This extracts extra heat from the coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post

Next time it starts getting hot, open the windows and put the heater on full with fan on full settings. This extracts extra heat from the coolant.
    That will get you home....but does not resolve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

Unless it is a magic special radiator, there will definitely be stuff in there that you can't flush.

Secondly, heat increase under load could also imply over fuelling: what are the exhaust gas temps?

Agreed. My blocked radiator cost me a head replacement at around 500,000km - and it was flushed a few times. It needs to be taken out and have a place like Silverton clean, service and flow test it properly. Mine was blocked 60-70%, thus the heat spike when going uphills.

Was a genuine cap used?
    Get the radiator recored to a three core. - better heat dissipation and larger coolant capacity

MARUIS verduidelik hoe recore hulle dit ,of koop jy maar 'n 3core rad, ek het myne destyds om geruil toe die 'n gatjie in gekry het.

Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

Sorry for the delay in replies. I will get to the replies now

Quote Originally Posted by reflex View Post
    Was the cooling system bled properly? Thermostat installed in the correct orientation?
    Are you still getting bubbles in the coolant? A friend of mine had the coolant bubbles even after the AMC head was installed, luckily for him it was a blown head gasket but I think either his head or block was no longer flat.
    Correct on all three counts. I am suspecting the block being warped at this stage in time.

Quote Originally Posted by macjohnw View Post
    Is there an AC condensor in front of the radiator? If so, are the fins clean and straight?

Did you remove the intercooler and have it cleaned, interior and exterior?

Are you using the correct type and ratio of coolant?

Did you change a bumper/bashplate or ad anything else that might hinder the airflow through the engine bay?

PS: Does the bakkie have a freeflow exhaust on, with a decent sized down pipe from the turbo? It will help the heat escape faster.

Did you flush the whole coolant system (engine block and pipes) or just the radiator?

Maybe install a stronger, electrical fan.
    I will have to check for the AC condensor - but it has AC so that is probably a yes. All the fins are clean and straight and free of bugs and debris. The intercooler hasn't been touched as far as I know. Coolant is in a 50/50 ratio AFAIK. Stock bumper and bash plate and nothing else added to the vehicle. The exhaust system was replaced about a month ago, which I forgot to mention. TwT did it and they replaced from the exhaust manifold right through to the rear resonance chamber. I am not sure which OD piping they used unfortunately but it looks to be the same size as the stock one. The entire loop was flushed too.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

I seem to recall the rad not being the OEM part, so it probably was replaced in the past. At which mileage I am unsure of, unfortunately. No idea what the EGT is at, and the pump hasn't ever been touched (for better or for worse, seeing as they seem to be frequently calibrated badly from the factory). I suspect a warped block but it was not checked at replacement. The head was replaced due to

Was a genuine cap used?

Genuine parts all around. Think a 1.1 bar? cap was used but that may not be accurate. My dad got home driving at 90 - 100 kph and the heater on - poor fellow must have been cooking!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    That will get you home....but does not resolve the problem.
    Correct, but a handy tip in case of overheating

Quote Originally Posted by macjohnw View Post
    Agreed. My blocked radiator cost me a head replacement at around 500,000km - and it was flushed a few times. It needs to be taken out and have a place like Silverton clean, service and flow test it properly. Mine was blocked 60-70%, thus the heat spike when going uphills.
    I think it would be best to replace the radiator just in case - rather safe than sorry! They are cheap enough these days

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    MARUIS verduidelik hoe recore hulle dit ,of koop jy maar 'n 3core rad, ek het myne destyds om geruil toe die 'n gatjie in gekry het.
    Daarso kan ek nie help nie

I received news back this weekend that the new head gasket has failed on cylinders 2 and 3, which to me indicates that there may be some warpage of the block causing the gasket to not seat properly which would explain the troubles recently. I will pass on the suggestion to maybe have the diesel pump timing checked and calibrated and the radiator replaced along with the block checked for warpage and the head also inspected.

I'll update here with any other news. Appreciate all the assistance so far!
    Last edited by PhireSide; 2018/03/25 at 09:11 PM.

Update:

So the bakkie was returned last week after having the work done to it, but about an hour into the journey home it started overheating again. It never reached the red temperature marker on the dial. It was limped home and the next day pressure tested when it was found that the new radiator cap was faulty. A new one installed and all was well.

Today en route to PE from Port Alfred it started overheating again. The bakkie was turned around and driven back to the place of departure. I haven't had any other news.

Anyone got a source for a second hand 4M40 motor in PE? Suspicions are pointing to a cracked block at this stage

Quote Originally Posted by PhireSide View Post
    Anyone got a source for a second hand 4M40 motor in PE? Suspicions are pointing to a cracked block at this stage
    enginesandmore.co.za

The bench-test all engines before they ship and they courier country-wide

Should be around R30k.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PhireSide View Post
    Update:

So the bakkie was returned last week after having the work done to it, but about an hour into the journey home it started overheating again. It never reached the red temperature marker on the dial. It was limped home and the next day pressure tested when it was found that the new radiator cap was faulty. A new one installed and all was well.

Today en route to PE from Port Alfred it started overheating again. The bakkie was turned around and driven back to the place of departure. I haven't had any other news.

i cannot help you with parts.
    Are you happy with your current mechanical service provider?
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4-Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 - Build

SOLD
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 - Build
    1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 - Build
    1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1

Y was my message deleted?