Prado 4L power on hills

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Prado 4L power on hills

I recently bought a 2010 4L Prado and was very surprised when the Prado shifted down to 3rd gear to keep up 120km/h on the cruise control on a moderate hill, going up to William Nicol travelling north on the N1 to be specific. My D4D Fortuner drives up the same stretch of road without me noticing it is uphill.

This is my first 4L Toyota, not sure if this is normal. Took it Toyota, full diagnostic showed nothing, garage took it for a test drive and said all is fine.

Anybody with ideas or similar experience, or should I just learn how to drive the Prado?

Default Re: Prado 4L power on hills

Quote Originally Posted by JHFG View Post
    I recently bought a 2010 4L Prado and was very surprised when the Prado shifted down to 3rd gear to keep up 120km/h on the cruise control on a moderate hill, going up to William Nicol travelling north on the N1 to be specific. My D4D Fortuner drives up the same stretch of road without me noticing it is uphill.

This is my first 4L Toyota, not sure if this is normal. Took it Toyota, full diagnostic showed nothing, garage took it for a test drive and said all is fine.

Anybody with ideas or similar experience, or should I just learn how to drive the Prado?
    The Prado is very sensitive on cruise controll for the slightest hill. It absolutely wants to stay exactly on the speed you set is on, so it constantly gears down on the slightest hill.
    For this reason I seldom use the cruise controll.
    Don't feed the monkeys!

Oh ja, completely normal.

Nothing you can do. Learn to live with it or cancel cruise control on hills. But it will then loose momentum and still downshift if you apply a bit of gas.

If you tow, it gets really fun.

But the 4L is very reliable and will probably be fine for another 10 years without any trouble.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/03/13 at 09:45 PM.

Default Prado 4L power on hills

You canít use cruise control at all on the V6 Prado or Fortuner, does not work. Hell of a frustration but other than that fantastic engine fantastic vehicle.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2018/03/13 at 10:21 PM.
    Francois

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois111 For This Useful Post:

Had a navara 4l V6 before my prado V6, wish I could fit the Nissan engine in the prado, can't even compare the power between the two
    Some people think Enduro Bikes is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude!I can assure them its much more serious than that

Learn to change the gear yourself before its doing when is in cruise control, else dont use that useless thing.
    Last edited by JLK; 2018/03/14 at 09:54 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LC PU and a Prado

Hi there, what you experience is very annoying but unfortunately normal for the auto cruise on the 4 liter. The hilux and fortuner has the same issue. There is nothing that I have come across that will fix this issue.

Yes, Prado's speed control is a hooligan, like a light switch with no dimmer, also never use mine much.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanSvr View Post
    Had a navara 4l V6 before my prado V6, wish I could fit the Nissan engine in the prado, can't even compare the power between the two
    There is nothing wrong with engine power, more how gearbox transfers the power to the wheels
    Last edited by Greenhorn; 2018/03/14 at 07:09 AM.

The FJ has the same problem.
    Seems they fit the wrong gearbox to the engine...
    If you can ignore this annoying traits, it's a cool car.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton W View Post
    The FJ has the same problem.
    If you can ignore this annoying traits, it's a cool car.
    Actually I use my CC almost daily, once you get used to it and where/when not to use it its not that bad, generally at 100-110 on moderate hills its fine......at 130 the postbox aerodynamics also come into play imo
    FJC - Just Cruising

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anton W View Post
    Agree!!

One dont experience it with the diesel, probably as the diesel has a bit more torque and can maintain its speed on an incline much longer then the petrol. Whats irritating it change from 5th to 3rd and than over speed before changes down again. Thats why I watched the rev counter on an incline and as soon as the revs increased when the torque converter took over, I drop the gear to 4th then most of the time it dont go down to 3rd, if I used the speed control, which was seldom.
    Johan Kriel

LC PU and a Prado

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    There is nothing wrong with engine power, more how gearbox transfers the power to the wheels
    On Navara I hook trailor, set the cruise control on 129km/h and it very very seldom kicked out, so it stayed in 6th gear (navara was manual.. But cruise control disengage if speed drop below 10km/h on set speed) on Prado the car have considerable less power. I know this, as I drove both. I also drove my brothers similar Prado.
    That said, I love my prado and won't sell it.

So apart that the gearbox goes ballistic in cruise control, it also have less power. (if it had enough it would not go back to 3rd gear but stayed in fifth or fourth) That is both for towing and without a trailor)
    If only it had different settings (modes). If it kicked quicker back to 4th, then it would prabably not needed to go back to 3rd.
    Some people think Enduro Bikes is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude!I can assure them its much more serious than that

HI JHFG
    Its mainly the difference between the torque of a diesel occurring at lower revs that a petrol engine. Just adapt your driving style.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfwalk View Post
    .... Just adapt your driving style.
    The 4L has very little power/torque below 2000 rpm. Very little.

So the gearing down can to a certain extend be managed by adapting driving style plus not using cruise control in hilly areas or cancelling it early and gearing down manually. BUT, if it is a long hill or there is slow traffic and refs falls again, believe me it will gear down to 3rd all by itself and stay there until it feels happy again. You cannot force an upgear unless the gearbox is ready.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/03/14 at 10:33 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

I am sure that a 6 speed auto gearbox with sport mode would do wonders with the Prado v6.

Don't try chips, don't try exhausts, spend the extra money and install this:

https://www.magnusonsuperchargers.co...-40-007-bl.htm

http://www.trdusa.com/superchargers.html

TRD South Africa should stock them.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I am sure that a 6 speed auto gearbox with sport mode would do wonders with the Prado v6.
    Dunno, the new 6spd in a Fortuner 4L is very confused!? Much better suited to the 2.8 GD. Although the CC is much better.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Had the same issue on Prado and not an major improvement on my 200 petrol. Ive adopted the habit of always gearing down to 4th just before the uphill and 90% of the time it will keep its speed uphill in 4th.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

Thanks to all for the help. Looks like I just need to learn how do drive the car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast