First off-road trailer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First off-road trailer

Hey guys,

As a foreigner, I have always admired South Africans and their nice off-rod trailers at the campsites

I am ready for my own now and because I only have a B license, I am looking at a 750GVM trailer such as the Echo 1, Echo 3, XT75,... I would like to get an EB license, but I cant even get my foreign B license converted to a South African one (after getting Permanent Residency) without redoing the entire license

I am quite interested in the Echo 3 trailer as it does not seem to be too heavy unloaded, so I could still pack quite some stuff. I see there is a braked version, but is it allowed to tow a braked trailer with a B license (as long as its under 750kg) ? What other nice 750GVM trailers are out there?

We are travelling with little children in camp cots so I think I will not take a RTT for now and just pack a big extra tent, so that should also save on weight, or are there other option to use the awning or a RTT without the actual tent?

Regards,
    Jan

Default Re: First off-road trailer

Have a look at the Metalian range as well.
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT M/T D/C 4x4 (Ex)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carel.Broekman For This Useful Post:

Got my first "camping trailer" end last year , also Echo 3 . Got two small kids and our first outing in the trailer highlighted some problems . Two camping cots/beds does not really fit into the bottom extension tent , so we got a Disco-Bed , problem solved . At first we could not figure out where do the people pack all their stuff , although these trailers look big , once you got your fridge in there not a lot of space left for stuff like chairs , tables etc . Somebody then showed me how to pack all this stuff on top of the tent before putting tarp on .

look at the echo 2, the can reg it for B licence.. its very well built!

AFAIK with a B licence, the total mass should not exceed 750KG braked or not, does not matter.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4 (Currently in surgery)
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Pierreo View Post
    Got my first "camping trailer" end last year , also Echo 3 . Got two small kids and our first outing in the trailer highlighted some problems . Two camping cots/beds does not really fit into the bottom extension tent , so we got a Disco-Bed , problem solved . At first we could not figure out where do the people pack all their stuff , although these trailers look big , once you got your fridge in there not a lot of space left for stuff like chairs , tables etc . Somebody then showed me how to pack all this stuff on top of the tent before putting tarp on .
    Thanks for the reply! Do you have the braked version or unbraked? What is a disco-bed ?

Thinus Enslin
    Potchefstroom
    VW Amarok BiTdi DC 4x4

No brakes on trailer , never feel like I need brakes on it even fully loaded . But then again I think my tow vehicle got enough weight to keep everything on their wheels .

Quote Originally Posted by dafila View Post
    Hey guys,

As a foreigner, I have always admired South Africans and their nice off-rod trailers at the campsites

I am ready for my own now and because I only have a B license, I am looking at a 750GVM trailer such as the Echo 1, Echo 3, XT75,... I would like to get an EB license, but I cant even get my foreign B license converted to a South African one (after getting Permanent Residency) without redoing the entire license

I am quite interested in the Echo 3 trailer as it does not seem to be too heavy unloaded, so I could still pack quite some stuff. I see there is a braked version, but is it allowed to tow a braked trailer with a B license (as long as its under 750kg) ? What other nice 750GVM trailers are out there?

We are travelling with little children in camp cots so I think I will not take a RTT for now and just pack a big extra tent, so that should also save on weight, or are there other option to use the awning or a RTT without the actual tent?

Regards,
    Jan
    I sold my Echo 3 many years ago as it was such a mission to erect the tent and sides and they were so heavy.

Personally i would not recommend anyone to buy these unless their tent design has improved. I found it a major mission to setup and breakdown. When I changed to the Metalian with the Howling Moon XP tent this was much better.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I sold my Echo 3 many years ago as it was such a mission to erect the tent and sides and they were so heavy.

Personally i would not recommend anyone to buy these unless their tent design has improved. I found it a major mission to setup and breakdown. When I changed to the Metalian with the Howling Moon XP tent this was much better.
    Which Metalian do you have?
    Do you tow with B license?
    Thinus Enslin
    Potchefstroom
    VW Amarok BiTdi DC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Thi View Post
    Sold metalian and bought a BL. I have old licence so can tow big!
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Thi

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    AFAIK with a B licence, the total mass should not exceed 750KG braked or not, does not matter.
    Metalian will register it for you as a 750 Kg trailer if you order it like that. That's how they roll...
    There is only one...

Quote Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
    Metalian will register it for you as a 750 Kg trailer if you order it like that. That's how they roll...
    Any idea where I could hire one to test? I知 in Potch.
    Thinus Enslin
    Potchefstroom
    VW Amarok BiTdi DC 4x4

Google, is amazing

Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    LC76V8

Any idea where I could hire one to test? I知 in Potch.
    Oooh, no, the Gauteng guys should be able to help you with that, maybe Henk Bannink would rent you his, as he's the agent up there.
    There is only one...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stadleroux For This Useful Post:

Thi

Oooh, no, the Gauteng guys should be able to help you with that, maybe Henk Bannink would rent you his, as he's the agent up there.
    Thx

I値l query the website. I知 sure they値l assist.
    Thinus Enslin
    Potchefstroom
    VW Amarok BiTdi DC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by dafila View Post
    Hey guys,

Regards,
    Jan
    Unfortunately with a B license you are only allowed towing an unbraked trailer with a GVM of 750kg's. If the trailer has the brakes it should be a 1500kg GVM. As mentioned here by some, you might be able to get away with a manufacturer building you a braked trailer and then issuing the unbraked documents stating 750kg GVM, but thats not the right way of course.

You can also have a look at our offerings here: https://ventertrailersjhb.co.za/trailers/offroad-4x4/

You will find that our pricing is super competitive and the fact that my main business is www.xfactorsport.co.za we can offer lots of custom work, opposed to most of the other outlets that are basically retail outlets only.

You are welcome to drop me a line on 0848517656 or an e mail on oz@xfactorsport.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by ozosborne View Post
    you might be able to get away with a manufacturer building you a braked trailer and then issuing the unbraked documents stating 750kg GVM, but thats not the right way of course.
    Surely you can build a trailer below 750 KG and add brakes to it? AFAIK there is nothing legally preventing one from doing this?
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's

Exclamation Re: First off-road trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    Surely you can build a trailer below 750 KG and add brakes to it? AFAIK there is nothing legally preventing one from doing this?
    I must say I'm also confused as to how there can be anything wrong with registering a trailer at a lower maximum weight. If you tow such a trailer and stay within that weight you're fine, but if you load it with more than the registered GVM you're liable for prosecution if the law should catch you, finish and klaar!

And who said anything about unbraked documents!? It would still be a braked trailer, but only with a maximum GVM of 750 Kg...
    Last edited by stadleroux; 2018/03/14 at 10:17 AM.
    There is only one...

I must say I'm also confused as to how there can be anything wrong with registering a trailer at a lower maximum weight. If you tow such a trailer and stay within that weight you're fine, but if you load it with more than the registered GVM you're liable for prosecution if the law should catch you, finish and klaar!

And who said anything about unbraked documents!? It would still be a braked trailer, but only with a maximum GVM of 750 Kg...
    That is how I always had it as well, there is nothing limiting one not to build a braked trailer with a maximum GVM of 750 KG. There are many unbraked trailers such as the Challengers, Wilderness etc, which had been converted to braked trailers but still limited to 750 KG.
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast