Is this even possible ?

Default Is this even possible ?

How it got like this ia a story i want to hear ....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1518544245596.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	477345

Default Re: Is this even possible ?

Cabbage and baked beans!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 385 000 km)

Ran flat for a distance, then inflated?
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Johan Engelbrecht For This Useful Post:

This must be a new prototype tyre for use in sand and deep water?
    Looking at the pic, it looks a tyre that has been driven flat, there is mark on the wall that looks as if it could have been chafed by the rim at some point. When reinflated air got into the sidewall. My 2c.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard Mc Bride For This Useful Post:

From what Iíve just read is itís air leaking from the inside of the tire and into the carcass.

Bad manufacturing. Inner layers have failed.

I work with metal expansion joints. Design can be 5 layers of 0.5 mm. If the welding at the ends is done badly only one or two will take the internal pressure as the pressure gets between the layers. Outer layers bulge and inner fail inwards. In this case the same. Tyre pressure has managed to get between the layers in the tire - from inside to outwards.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Alf; 2018/02/13 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Wrong thread.
    2008 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2000 Hilux Raider 4x4

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Any food that makes a person fat is Michelin food. I use that specific term because of the image they used.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Any food that makes a person fat is Michelin food. I use that specific term because of the image they used.
    Like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2008 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2000 Hilux Raider 4x4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alf For This Useful Post:

I drove with a tyre looking nearly that bad from the Okorosave Village at S18 14.444 E13 45.952, 60km to Opuwo after getting two flats on the D3704 en route from Sesfontein to Opuwo.

The first one I got about half way north up the D3704, and by the time I felt it and stopped, the tread had already come off. Then I fitted my spare and about 30km further, as I slowed down for the T junction at Okorosave Village, I heard the dreaded worr, worr, worr noise of a tyre running flat.

I stopped and the rim was about 35mm off the ground. As I stopped I heard the air rushing out, in a minute it was totally flat. The sidewall already looked like crinkle cut Simba Chips. I was really in the dwang......

I took the wheel off, pumped the tyre up and hear the air escaping again, found the hole in the middle of the tread. All I could do was to plug it, as I had no spare left. I suppose I could have stopped a local going the same direction and asked to borrow their spare for the next 60 km, but they all seemed to have much smaller wheels than my 265/70 x 17s.

It took three plugs to stop the leak, I pumped the tyre to 1.8 bar, too scared to put more pressure into an already weakened carcass. It had bubbles and valleys in the sidewall, nearly like in the picture, but what else could I do? I adjusted my rearview mirror so I could see the tyre, and drove all the way to Opuwo at 60kph, watching the tyre all the way.

Well, I made it!, and in Opuwo they only had two 265/70 x 17 tyres, Federal Couragia M/T tyres, a brand I had never heard of. The two tyres set me back R6800, but at least I could continue.

I must say, although I was very disappointed in the Goodyears (by the end of the trip I had lost 4 GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC MTRs), that one held up and saved my bacon, even though it looked like it could not even hold any air..... I should actually have taken a picture of it, but the thought never even entered my mind.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/02/13 at 08:52 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post: