Which brand Low Sulphur Diesel do you use and why? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which low sulphur brand do you use?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shell

26 16.56%
  • BP

15 9.55%
  • Caltex

22 14.01%
  • Total

9 5.73%
  • Engen

14 8.92%
  • Sasol

50 31.85%
  • Other

5 3.18%
  • Whatever station I pass

16 10.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which brand Low Sulphur Diesel do you use and why?

I filled up my older jetta 1.9tdi in Germiston and compared Engen and Total. Over several tanks and a time of 6 months Total always gave better fuel economy by almost 10%

It is the lubricity that makes the difference and that is introduced by additives!
    They are all using different additives and these are expensive and... "hopefully by now", they add always the correct quantities!

When Sasol introduced the 50ppm Diesel in about 2002 I drove the extra mile to fill up my brand new 4x4 with Sasol only. But with 69 000km on the clock I had to replace all injectors (expensive). The experts blamed fuel quality for this. Since that I haven't touched Sasol again and the engine is still goes strong!

Can only hope that today they use a good quality additive.

Here is an article written by a chemist who worked in the industry.
    This topic reappears every so often, but in essence I'll quote my answer about diesel fuel - and petrol is pretty much the same story:

As the UK Representative to CEN WG9 (European standards committee for all motor vehicle fuels) all pump fuel in Europe is produced to meet the relevant EN standard - which you will see written on the pump body. The major difference between the supermarket fuels and the branded fuels is the exact nature of the additive pack added to the fuel when it leaves the refinery - common rail pump lubricants, injector cleaners, etc.
    Synthesised Diesel
    The exception to this is the new "synthesised" diesel fuels, such as BP Ultimate (actually researched by Aral in Germany), Shell V-Power (may be called something else in the UK), and Total Excellium. These fuels are manufactured in the refinery by joining simple petroleum hydrocarbons into an exact diesel fuel - you'll need some experience of university level Chemistry to follow what they do - so just accept that they are better - higher cetane rating, better additive pack, etc.
    Normal Diesel
    This is a straight distillation fraction from crude oil, produced by the nearest refinery to the fuel depot - so for instance, diesel refined by Shell may be sold by any of the other retailers close to that Shell refinery. The major difference is the additive pack - which is brand specific - and any specification difference imposed on the refinery by the other retailers - and the addition of bio-diesel.
    Bio-diesel
    Another one of our EN committees, pump bio-diesel is a blend of normal refinery diesel (95%) and (5%) of pure bio-diesel. This is an EN standard and all EU countries will be (or are) selling this bio-diesel as a direct replacement for normal diesel. All the car manufacturers have accepted this 95:5 blended fuel, and we are working on specifications for a 90:10 blend.
    Pure bio-diesel is manufactured by mixing and heating vegetable oil with methanol (methyl alcohol) and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda). This splits the vegetable oil into glycerine and fatty acids, which immediately reacts with the methanol to form a "fatty acid methyl ester" or FAME (bio-diesel).
    FAME is perfectly fine as a diesel fuel, it has very good lubricating effects - and replaces the lubricant additive in a normal diesel fuel - except that it is not as stable as normal diesel - it tends to go "sour" or "rancid", which is why the car manufacturers don't like you to run a car on pure bio-diesel. Not a problem as a 95:5 blend.
    Vegetable Oil
    Reasonably OK for an old (pre 1995) diesel engined car - except that the car won't start on cold vegetable oil, but once the engine is running it's OK. Other problems are that vegetable oil quickly turns in a gummy glop (like the linseed oil that artists use) and the car's fuel system and that the engine needs a lot more maintenance - blocked injectors, gummy residue in pumps and cylinders, etc.
    After market additives
    After market products like Millers improve the cetane rating of standard diesel, but only when the engine is cold - interestingly it doesn't help a hot engine - so cold starting is usually quieter but no difference to a hot engine - and Millers does provide good, additional pump lubricity.

Self Tuning Engine Computer
    So, if your diesel engined car "self tunes" then try Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate, Total Excellium - I see between 3% and 5% improvement in fuel consumption. My Mercedes C270 returned 52.8 mpg driving from Rotterdam to Wendover yesterday - on Dutch Shell V-Power - 320 miles at speeds of around 60, 70 and 80 mph depending on the country / road speed limit - using the electronic speed limiter. If not, stick with the regular diesel fuel, and add Redex or Millers at the recommended dosage level - adding more won't improve the performance. And don't be dismissive of supermarket fuel, it can and often is identical to branded fuel.
    And if you add Redex or Millers or switch to a branded fuel, then any change to the cleanliness of the injectors won't show itself for quite a few hundred miles, but pump lubrication and maybe a higher cetane rating will show an effect much sooner - depends how much old fuel was in the tank and fuel lines - and how much the old fuel dilutes the action of the new fuel.
    So is there a difference between supermarket and branded fuel ? - there can be - but often there isn't.
    How can you tell if one fuel is better than another?
    To compare the fuel consumption, you need to exactly reproduce two journeys - exactly the same speed, exactly the same acceleration and braking, and under identical conditions:
    Atmospheric Pressure
    A one percent change in air pressure has an identical effect on power and torque - so driving on days with high pressure makes the engine generate more power
    Temperature
    Driving on hotter days reduces engine power.
    Humidity and Rain
    Driving on days when it is humid or raining significantly improves engine power - water injection is used in truck racing and sucking in damp air has a similar effect in increasing power.
    These produce percentage level effects on mpg - making it difficult for the driver to make comparisons. Driving on a cold, damp day may see an improvement of 3% or more compared to a hot, dry day.
    Even more important are the effects of different traffic levels and the inability of drivers to EXACTLY reproduce a journey on UK roads, for instance:
    Speed
    A 1 mph increase in speed (say 60 instead of 59) will make about a 2% difference in fuel consumption - rolling friction and wind resistance increase exponentially - on top of the extra fuel need to spin the engine that bit faster.
    Unless you drive everywhere using an electronic speed limiter or digital cruise control then it's impossible for most drivers to reproduce even a constant speed.
    Acceleration and Braking
    Big percentage differences here - and unless you are driving on an empty test track - the effects of other traffic, let alone how you drive the car, have effects at least as large as the difference attributed to different fuels.
    Summary
    There is a reproducible improvement of between 3% and 5% by buying the synthesised diesel fuels - BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power, Total Excellium, etc - compared to the standard branded diesel fuels.
    There are smaller differences between supermarket and standard branded fuels - sometimes they are physically the same fuel - sometimes they differ only by the additive (cleaner) pack - and sometimes they are different.
    Day to day variations in the weather, driver reproducibility and traffic make it very difficult for drivers to reproduce journeys.
    Comparing two fuels
    If you do want to make a comparison, drive your car until the fuel tank is almost empty, then fill the tank and after you have driven 200 miles (any old fuel should have been used up), drive at a fixed speed on a motorway for 10 miles and record the fuel consumption.
    Then the next time you fill up, repeat the exercise with a different brand of fuel - but remember to test on exactly the same section of motorway and on a similar day.
    Checking your fuel consumption over normal driving, in stop start traffic, over a period of weeks - just tells you that you have had to driven differently.
    And don't forget the placebo effect.
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD Ltd Auto chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Surfer01 For This Useful Post:

So far my fuel consumption thread show that Sasol 10ppm give the worst consumption and worst performance measure by my bum-dyno.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by blazerb2 View Post
    Fuel in the WC basically are all the same.
    For this reason, I go where it's cheapest...

Caltex at the top of Boundary rd, Rugby
    Puma on Buitengracht, CBD

Or Sasol if I'm in a pinch for the rewards.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    On the moment I fill up my Hilux SRX with Sasol 50 ppm Diesel at a specific dealer because it is the cheapest Diesel in Bloemfontein (R12.8 other then the Depot itself.
    On my bakkie I get the best fuel consumption on Engen diesel.
    Hi Viertrek. At which Sasol garage do you fillup in Bloem? I usually fillup at Sasol Langenhoven Park when I pass through Bloem but I think they charge 'normal' prices. Thanks
    Land Cruiser 76 S/W (Bloedhond VSK-Vrek Stadige Kar);
    Toyota Condor 4x4 3D; (Bloedhond SNMVSK-Selfs Nog Meer Vrek Stadiger Kar)
    Imagine Trailvan;
    BMW 1200 GS Adventure;
    "Life is too short to play golf"

Engen-Ebucks
    Range Rover Sport SC 4.2 V8 ( FATBOY )
    Disco1 V8 ( LAZYBOY )
    Austin Mini 1380cc ( Finiky )

Quote Originally Posted by taylorns View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am a Chemical/Process engineer by trade I work for a large South African Petrochemical company. No prizes for working it out....

Almost all grades of Diesel produced on the Highveld are produced by one company. To get 10ppm you produce it in large quantities, and blend it down to get to 50ppm and 500ppm.

That being said the base product is Diesel and each "Brand" ads their own additives.

So fuel sold on Highveld is almost all SASOL Diesel, blended down with higher Sulphur Diesel for other brands. Remember there is also a fuel pipeline between Durban and Jozi.

Personally I use SASOL 10ppm in my Rok because that is the only brand available in Secunda. And I get red bank points everytime I fill up.
    And this is about as scientific an answer you can get, absolutely true.

Default Which additive

So, this thread has changed from which brand of diesel to comparing which brand's additives are better. There must be something in the additives then. Does anyone know the ratios / percentages of cetane boosters, detergents, friction modifiers, combustion improvers, corrosion inhibitors, fuel stabilisers, anti-foaming and dyes per brand?
    2015 Renault Duster 4WD Gen1 (Genwon) (born in India)

Cool Re: Which brand Low Sulphur Diesel do you use and why?

BP or Shell as I'm a Discovery insure client, and those are the only companies you get points with. Oh, and incidently, the BP and Shell stations I use have the cheapest 50PPM diesel in town.

I'm getting about 80% of my insurance premium back in cash...so I'm not too worried about the few rands i might save using another premium brand.
    Given the choice I'd probably use Sasol. Purely a hunch that there product is better quality.
    Last edited by boatmaker; 2018/02/26 at 11:36 AM.

What about diesel depots? Privately owned depots that is, what is the feeling around that?

I have 2 in a radius of 5km of my house, the one R1.00 p/l cheaper than any filling station, the other R1.05 - R1.15 cheaper p/l

I've heard horror stories around some depots and their dodgy diesel. I must say, i've now done 2 tanks with the one depot, whenever I put foot there's seems to be a puff of black smoke, maybe it was there all the time, maybe not, am I paranoid?
    (Now) 2013 Triton 2.5 Di-D
    (Sold)2013 VW Amarok Bi-TDi 4Motion
    (Sold)2002 Colt 3.0 V6 DC 4x4

To throw a spanner into the works......

You get different specs of diesel; winter and summer specs, etc, etc. Not just sulphur specs.

In other words Durban diesel has less anti waxing agents than diesel sold in Lesotho in winter.

In the shell and BP refinery the additive is added into the transfer pipeline at the refinery, so it is nicely mixed by the time it gets to Islandview.

Its not so much of a problem in new spec engines, but the old type diesel engines it made a difference.
    Current off-road vehicles:
    * 1978 Land-Cruiser HJ40 DIESEL P/U "SHREK", BFG 31x10.5 muds.
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton hand winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds.

* 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain. I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C, BFG all terrain.
    * 1999 TOYOTA 4x4 HILUX 2700i D/C, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain.
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain.
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain. * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC [liquid cooled} 2016, (off road bike) the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. * a GS800, 2011. * AND a Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzie View Post
    Hi Viertrek. At which Sasol garage do you fillup in Bloem? I usually fillup at Sasol Langenhoven Park when I pass through Bloem but I think they charge 'normal' prices. Thanks
    Fritzie I fill up at DIY Superstore in Bloemfontein. A bit off the N1.

DIY Superstore use the name Exel if I recall corectly, but every time the truck comes to fill up the sub teranian tanks it is a SASOL truck. I have also spoken to the pump atendants and they confirms that it is indeed SASOL diesel. They also sell 10 PPM at DIY. I have filled up with them for many years and has always know them to use SASOL diesel.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2018/02/26 at 07:17 PM.

I've been using Caltex for the last 6 months because of ucount rewards, but have just found that the filling station I use is more expensive than any other brand in the neighborhood...

I use Sasol 10ppm 90% of the time 360k on the clock no problems and original injectors

Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    Fritzie I fill up at DIY Superstore in Bloemfontein. A bit off the N1.

DIY Superstore use the name Exel if I recall corectly, but every time the truck comes to fill up the sub teranian tanks it is a SASOL truck. I have also spoken to the pump atendants and they confirms that it is indeed SASOL diesel. They also sell 10 PPM at DIY. I have filled up with them for many years and has always know them to use SASOL diesel.
    Thanks Viertrek, I will definitely look them up next time.
    Land Cruiser 76 S/W (Bloedhond VSK-Vrek Stadige Kar);
    Toyota Condor 4x4 3D; (Bloedhond SNMVSK-Selfs Nog Meer Vrek Stadiger Kar)
    Imagine Trailvan;
    BMW 1200 GS Adventure;
    "Life is too short to play golf"

I mostly use Sasol as 10PPM is generally always available, other brands often don't have 10PPM
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    To throw a spanner into the works......

You get different specs of diesel; winter and summer specs, etc, etc. Not just sulphur specs.

In other words Durban diesel has less anti waxing agents than diesel sold in Lesotho in winter.

In the shell and BP refinery the additive is added into the transfer pipeline at the refinery, so it is nicely mixed by the time it gets to Islandview.

Its not so much of a problem in new spec engines, but the old type diesel engines it made a difference.
    This explains the cold start issues I had with my RR TDV8 whenever I went from Durban to my place bottom of Sani Pass in winter.

Interesting thread, I have only diesel cars and continuously compare . analyze consumption and try to get the best / economical options.

Firstly my preferred petrol stations.
    1. Prado 1998 2.8D: 500 ppm Shell Cnr Steve Biko & N4 (Proes) Street. Last price R13.17 (Feb 201 p/l plus you get 2l Coke and Click cashback R1 for ever litre.
    2. EcoSport 1.5TD: 50ppm MBT Cnr Swaan & Baviaanspaart, Last price R13.30 (Fen 201 per litre.
    3. Mercedes C220 ; 10ppm Dastek R21 @ R13.27 (Dec 2017) and then Sasol Edenvale also 10ppm @ R13.25 (Feb 201 per litre.

Prado runs faster on 50ppm, but more economical on 500ppm. Although 10ppm contains more fuel than 50ppm I do not see noticeable difference on modern cars. Conceptually 500ppm contains more lubrication which is required in older engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2