Cape Townians - How much have you spend to combat Day Zero? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Cape Townians - How much have you spend to combat Day Zero?

My knowledge of the Cape environs is a bit sparse as left Cape Town at the grand age of 18 in 1968 to move to Rhodesia. In the time I spent in the Cape we had some dry seasons but always had water from I think it was called the Steenbras dam. How many more dams are there now to supply the population of Cape Town which has probably quadrupled or more in the past 20 years? BTW I am visiting cape Town from the UK in late March for a couple of days so this thread is of interest to me.
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD Ltd Auto chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckRogers View Post
    Can that gardena drill pump be used to pump grey water ?
    I hope so.
    Drill pump Gardena box .pdf
    Life starts
    where the comfort-zone ends.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:

R6800 on well point, R2600 on 2500 L tank eco. Lots of 5L bottled water. Few Buckets.

So my water test results finally came back.

No e-coli, but total bacteria a bit high. Either need to add disinfectant or UV treat.
    Think I'm going to go the UV route - cost R 1500-00

Then the Ph is at 5.6 so need to get that up to around 7.5 - a bit of limestone should sort that out. No costing on that yet.

Should have drinkable water after that.
    Safe Diving

Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Finally got around to putting in a wellpoint a few weeks ago - R4700-00 incl pump.
    Water looks good - crystal clear, very little iron according to the pool shop, ph around 6.5 .
    Sent a sample off to Bemalb for a SANS 241 test, future expenditure depends on the results but hoping for potable water without too much additional expense.
    Jo-Jo tank on the way for rainwater and storage.

This exercise is not so much about the current crisis, more about future proofing - if I can go off grid then I most certainly will.
    So my water test results finally came back.

No e-coli, but total bacteria a bit high. Either need to add disinfectant or UV treat.
    Think I'm going to go the UV route - cost R 1500-00

Then the Ph is at 5.6 so need to get that up to around 7.5 - a bit of limestone should sort that out. No costing on that yet.

Should have drinkable water after that.
    Great! Must feel good to be closer to self-sufficient in that regard!

Care to share a few details/pics please?

How deep did you have to go?
    What is you elevation above sea level?-(if you know that off hand!)
    Did the guys bring their own water for the job and was included in their price?
    Pump details/pic?
    Would you recommend the guys who did yours?-(if so, please PM contact details to me! Thanks!)

I am in Rondebosch, and looking to having one done soon-my water tank arrives next week ( hopefully!), and would like to have wellpoint done soon thereafter.

I think I may only be about 10/12m above sea level here, and it is pretty much just sand underfoot, so I expect not to need to go very deep at all.

Thanks, and hope your water is shweet after your treatments!
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Please also talk about the UV @R1500
    I understand there are a few makes of UV and the bacteria-destroying wavelength is quite specific.
    Life starts
    where the comfort-zone ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Please also talk about the UV @R1500
    I understand there are a few makes of UV and the bacteria-destroying wavelength is quite specific.
    You need to ensure that the turpidity of the water is very low. If not, the UV will not penetrate far enough to kill the bacteria. So forget UV if you can see any cloudiness in water. Using a fine filter, like 1 micron will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Great! Must feel good to be closer to self-sufficient in that regard!

Care to share a few details/pics please?

How deep did you have to go?
    What is you elevation above sea level?-(if you know that off hand!)
    Did the guys bring their own water for the job and was included in their price?
    Pump details/pic?
    Would you recommend the guys who did yours?-(if so, please PM contact details to me! Thanks!)

I am in Rondebosch, and looking to having one done soon-my water tank arrives next week ( hopefully!), and would like to have wellpoint done soon thereafter.

I think I may only be about 10/12m above sea level here, and it is pretty much just sand underfoot, so I expect not to need to go very deep at all.

Thanks, and hope your water is shweet after your treatments!
    They went down about 8m or so - hit ferricrete (koffieklip) at just over 4m - it was approx 1m thick.

I'm at about 14m msl, but I don't think altitude has much bearing on the quality of your well point water.
    Rondebosch common is at 20m if that helps.........

They brought a barrel along for water, but we supplied it - can use pool water if you want.

I'll post a pic of the pump etc later, but it is a cheapie I think..............

As for the UV treatment .............. the Turbidity of my water is 0.00, so that should be clear enough for the UV to work.

I have looked at a few units, the first that caught my eye were these - https://www.puritech.co.za/uv-sterilizers/

But then I was offered what I think is one of these at Sam's Aquarium - http://www.waterpure.co.za/index.php...uv_filters.htm

I still need to go back and confirm that they are the same unit - the one I was offered apparently treats 50l/min, my pump delivers 20l/min.
    Safe Diving

Andy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

I am in process of installing 2 x 1600ltr tanks in my yard and i feel like a bloody fool, because we are enjoying stunning rainfall (past two days and seems like today as well)

But, i am of opinion we are eventually running into problems in Gauteng as far as water is concerned. With second tank flat and level today, i can connect two tanks at bottom and then my pressure pump to tanks. Initially tanks to be borehole filled, but next step will be to replace and connect new roof gutters to tanks

Am i correct in reasoning that for each square m of roof, one litr of water will flow into my tanks per rainfall of 1mm?

Thus say 200m sq roof times 5mm rain = 1000ltr into my tanks?

If so, my new tanks would have been full, had they been installed earlier

With my roofs flushed by rain day before yesterday, i caught some water in a glass jar from my roof yesterday during rain. Water is clear and looks better than tap water
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2018/02/22 at 07:15 AM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post

Am i correct in reasoning that for each square m of roof, one litr of water will flow into my tanks per rainfall of 1mm?

Thus say 200m sq roof times 5mm rain = 1000ltr into my tanks?
    In theory yes, but I have found that the first mm or two makes the roof wet without any water really getting to the tank.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    In theory yes, but I have found that the first mm or two makes the roof wet without any water really getting to the tank.
    Thanks
    Will use water for pool and garden and when pawpaw is in fan use borehole water and connect tanks to house
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

So if you thought you we going to be able to go off-grid or semi off grid with relative ease, think again ............

This summary from the City, but there is a whole lot more to it ..........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water use ii.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	479504
    Safe Diving

Andy

So if you thought you we going to be able to go off-grid or semi off grid with relative ease, think again ............

This summary from the City, but there is a whole lot more to it ..........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water use ii.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	479504
    It will be very difficult to enforce that. It will take years.

Also some untruths there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Also some untruths there.....
    Which ones - may be worth looking into .........
    Safe Diving

Andy

Seems we may be reading this differently .... or maybe the posted bit does not show the full context .....

"Potable water", ie for human consumption (drinking and food), has to adhere to various health requirements.

When people consider using alternate water for home use it should be sent to a lab to be tested for compliance - one LONG list that gets (should be) checked !!

Setting up a treatment, filtration and purification plant is NOT cheap !!!!!

Running it and constant replacement of chemicals and filters adds to the cost of ownership !!!

MOST IMPORTANTLY - due to the very high risk of such water not fully complying, these systems may NOT be connected to the main water grid - unless the engineer can show reliably that water "can not flow back".

The first items are for the END USERS own health .... no need for the municipality to enforce this, a few runny tummies will bring this message home ....

The connection to the grid is the item that may need enforcing. Not that this will be easy, or even possible ..... Consider this - your neighbour has an alternate water source, and does not treat his water properly, break in municipal supply and his alternate water flows back into the municipal lines, later that afternoon the rest of the homes in the area gets a dose of his untreated water and half the neighbourhood has runny tummies .... this is already happening !! Enough people bragging about their connections, and enough outbreaks of "runny tummies" ....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post

..... Consider this - your neighbour has an alternate water source, and does not treat his water properly, break in municipal supply and his alternate water flows back into the municipal lines, later that afternoon the rest of the homes in the area gets a dose of his untreated water and half the neighbourhood has runny tummies .... this is already happening !! Enough people bragging about their connections, and enough outbreaks of "runny tummies" ....
    I wonder if backflow into the municipality is already happening? The standard pressure pumps operate at 2 to 4bar pressure, which is generally less than municipal pressure. So, where the private water supply is not isolated from the municipal line, the pressure pump will stay off. This will be a different story though when the municipal supply pressure drops for any reason, or if a high pressure pump is used.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I wonder if backflow into the municipality is already happening? The standard pressure pumps operate at 2 to 4bar pressure, which is generally less than municipal pressure. So, where the private water supply is not isolated from the municipal line, the pressure pump will stay off. This will be a different story though when the municipal supply pressure drops for any reason, or if a high pressure pump is used.
    in theory, back-flow will only happen when there is a drop in the municipal water pressure.

In our area we have burst pipes every 6 to 8 weeks .... LOTS of opportunities for "alternate water" to enter the system !!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Seems we may be reading this differently .... or maybe the posted bit does not show the full context .....

"Potable water", ie for human consumption (drinking and food), has to adhere to various health requirements.

When people consider using alternate water for home use it should be sent to a lab to be tested for compliance - one LONG list that gets (should be) checked !!
    Yup I only posted an extract from a much more comprehensive document I received.

Testing of rainwater / borehole / wellpoint water will be compulsory on a regular basis - certainly more frequently than once a year.

As for the non return valve - what they want is something a litttle more than a simple inline valve.
    What they actually want is a Reduced Pressure Zone (RPZ) back flow preventer.

PM me your e-mail, I will send the docs that I received - a real eye opener !
    Safe Diving

Andy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3