14 day Father Son trip highlight ideas?

Default 14 day Father Son trip highlight ideas?

My son turns 13 shortly and I've been thinking that quality dad-son time over 2 weeks out of Joburg into our southern neighbours would be well spent. We're likely to take a small tent but also likely to include a few B+B's along the way.
    We'll be using a well serviced 2005 Toyota petrol Prado (120 series) which has a few extras fitted (roof rack, Old Man Emu suspension, snorkel (saved me once) and dual batteries).

I've not done a trip like this before so looking for ideas on places to visit. Input appreciated. If there can be quality fishing on 1 or 2 days that would be great but this is not important.

Thanks
    Ryan

Default Re: 14 day Father Son trip highlight ideas?

I think this is a fantastic idea. More people should do this.
    Discovery 3 4.0 V6

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

Thanks, I should mention its likely 1 July to 16 July this year

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    My son turns 13 shortly and I've been thinking that quality dad-son time over 2 weeks out of Joburg into our southern neighbours would be well spent.
    Hi Ryan, by southern neighbours I presume you mean out of SA? And as he is 13, I also presume in school holidays? (Edit: July I see - perfect for Mozambique).

Mozambique would be my first choice: outside of the December and Easter holidays, you can get reasonable chalet accommodation, especially north of the popular areas, and the restaurant food is excellent and well-priced, so not too many hassles there (plus the fishing is generally reasonable).

I would head for Tofo - nice, buzzy vibe, lots of accommodation and restaurant options, excellent surfing, some diving and fishing, especially around Tofhino.

Another option is to head a bit north to Vilanculos and do a three day dhow safari with Sailaway Dhow Safaris.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/01/12 at 03:19 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

One of the best holidays we had with our kids, and a group of mates was 5 days down the orange river. Awesome. This was with Felix unite just below noordover. The kids believed it was much better than Paris and friends with us had been to Disneyland and also agreed this was much better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    One of the best holidays we had with our kids, and a group of mates was 5 days down the orange river. Awesome. This was with Felix unite just below noordover. The kids believed it was much better than Paris and friends with us had been to Disneyland and also agreed this was much better.
    Great idea, but the Orange can drop to freezing in July. Agreed that it is a great trip.
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Thanks for the ideas guys-Orange sounds like a must do for the whole family.
    Tony-is Moz still a malaria risk in July?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Thanks for the ideas guys-Orange sounds like a must do for the whole family.
    Tony-is Moz still a malaria risk in July?
    Low risk but prophylaxis still essential throughout.
    Tony Weaver

This was a part of our December trip which took almost 2 weeks but we were not in any hurry...

Johannesburg >> Blyde River Canyon >> Gods Window >> Hoedspruit >> Skukuza >> Lower Sabie >> Swaziland >> Ponta Do Ouro, Mozambique >> Umkomaas >> Sani Pass* >> Johannesburg

* We decided not to drive through Lesotho due to the $150 visa fee for Europeans which would have been a complete waste for only a 5 hour drive through

Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 40L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Tenco RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax

thanks for these ideas guys. A mate has mentioned Lake Kariba for Tiger fishing as a possible trip as well-rent a house boat for a few days at Kariba