Zipper Causality on Rooftop Tent

Default Zipper Causality on Rooftop Tent

Hey All, I live in Lilongwe, Malawi. While I was away for the holidays, the bloody dog chewed the zipper on my Howling Moon Tent. As you can see, about 4 inches of the top zipper is gone.Any advice on how to repair? I have to travel to Moz next week and a working tent would be preferable. https://imgur.com/a/U2IZV
    Last edited by worldofinflation; 2018/01/12 at 01:16 PM.

Default Re: Zipper Causality on Rooftop Tent

I cant see no picture
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

couldn't embed. Fixed with link.

I presume that's somewhere in the middle of the cover zip? No quick fix for that, other than replacing the whole zip which you are highly unlikely to be able to do in Lilongwe (could be done in a day or two in any major SA Centre). I would suggest travelling with it like that, and after the first time using it, strap down the cover using Holdfast or similar tie downs, possibly augmented with duct tape where necessary. Not nice, seeing as it is rainy season in Moz - perhaps carry an extra tarpaulin to strap over in case you encounter prolonged heavy rains.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/01/12 at 01:25 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    I presume that's somewhere in the middle of the cover zip? No quick fix for that, other than replacing the whole zip which you are highly unlikely to be able to do in Lilongwe (could be done in a day or two in any major SA Centre). I would suggest travelling with it like that, and after the first time using it, strap down the cover using Holdfast or similar tie downs, possibly augmented with duct tape where necessary. Not nice, seeing as it is rainy season in Moz - perhaps carry an extra tarpaulin to strap over in case you encounter prolonged heavy rains.
    The break is on the second corner going clockwise. Thanks for the advice. Not a single store in Lilongwe sells tarpaulin; not even the Game here. Today I went hunting and ended up convincing a trucking company to cut me a piece from a damaged cover on one of their trucks. It's high quality and I'm happy with it. I'll be able to take it with me to Moz. I'll scour the Indian shops for Zippers this weekend but I doubt I'll find one that will suit. Next, I'm going to reach out to Howling Moon to see if I can buy just the zipper from them.

The zip will be a heavy duty YKK. Google them. Christy Sports in Cape Town will be able to ship you one.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    The zip will be a heavy duty YKK. Google them. Christy Sports in Cape Town will be able to ship you one.
    Glad you got something to cover the tent with. I've tried the duct tape, even the Gorilla repair tape comes off after a while.

Definitely the YKK zips as Tony said. Campworld shops carry them too;

https://www.campworld.co.za/dealers
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8