Sand driving - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sand driving

Default Re: Sand driving

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Low profile vs non-low profile would make a difference due to the foot print of the tyre but that said I have seen X3's and X5's breeze through soft sand in Mozambique where proper 4x4's were stuck.
    We dropped my mates X3 tyres to 1.1bar in Ponta and they still looked hard on the low profiles. None the less he breezed through every patch of soft sand
    😊😆😆😆

Dont say that they breeze through sand where proper 4x4's battled..... netnou dink die softie eienaars hulle kan enige plek ry ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
    😊😆😆😆

Dont say that they breeze through sand where proper 4x4's battled..... netnou dink die softie eienaars hulle kan enige plek ry ...
    Have seen a ML doing quite well on a nice little dune route. Cannot remember the tire size or how far they were aired down but it left an impressive wide track. That track could match a 35.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Have seen a ML doing quite well on a nice little dune route. Cannot remember the tire size or how far they were aired down but it left an impressive wide track. That track could match a 35.
    On normal speak is a 35" width 315 ? The sport pack option on the ml and x5 is 275 up front and 315 at the back . Profile is 40 and 35 though

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I think it depends on where you drive and under what conditions. At Durban ski boat club I can pull my boat out the water and off the beach easily with 1.8-1.9bar.

At sodwana I hit the beach at 1.2 and dug in. Had to drop to 0.6 to get on and off the beach. Warnerdoon also pretty soft and needs less than 1bar.

My boat is small and light. If you have a 1400kg boat and trailer then sometimes even the tractors battle.

Towing can make a big difference to the performance in sand. Also a heavily loaded vehicle will tend to dig in more than an empty bakkie.

Experience seems to be key and talking to locals about what works seems to go a long way.
    Sand differs from place to place. Had a different approach during our Dec West Coast tour.

Heavy laden 4x4`s have its own challenge. Used a little more momentum than usually.

My favourite sand pressure is between 0.5 and 0.6. With the load and mixed surfaces we settled on 1.2 to counter load. Some dunes needed a second run with much more force than I am used to.

On normal speak is a 35" width 315 ? The sport pack option on the ml and x5 is 275 up front and 315 at the back . Profile is 40 and 35 though
    That is correct 315 close to 35.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Sand differs from place to place.
    Grips, here in the Zululand coast the sand differs also according to time of day, with one having to drive more aggressively the later it is.

I well remember the Port Durnford ramp, on the northern side of the Mlalazi mouth at Mntunzini. We used to be down the ramp and on the beach at sunrise and made sure we got back up before 10 or so, if the day is very hot the sand loses all the moisture and then that dune becomes a nightmare and you have to wring a bakkie's neck to get it out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Ja Bartho, ons wag almal vir die dag wanneer n landy jou n hand moet gee!
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!

Daai dag neem ek n klomp fotos ......😁😊😊

Daai dag neem ek n klomp fotos ......😁😊😊
    Jy het al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1837.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	473112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1838.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	473113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1839.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	473114  

😊😊

Moenie net nie se WATSE landy nie ! 😈😆

1994 Defender TDi 200

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Driving in the desert in Qatar I use high range, low range digs me in. Tyres, I take down to 1 bar. Try high range , I don't lock diff but it's a land rover d1, so full time 4x4..fyi, I failed miserably in the dunes till an Arab took over and drove me around for an hour in my car, up and down huge dunes..expert help/mentoring/guidance does help..
    I had an experience at the beach this last weekend. When trying to gain momentum to climb a dune, Low range dug me in. I eventually climbed it but in High Range. My car is a D3 V8.

Now take that same car .... drop your pressures to 0.8 and amaze yourself how easily it does the same suddenly. Stop being scared to deflate on sand. Only tyres that i experienced that does not like deflated to below 0.8 is bfg at. If you are in the pooh you can go to 0.4 to get unstuck if you inflate a bit afterwards with normal tyres. Runflats you can go even lower .(or should i say --- have to ? &#128522

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartho For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Edmundo View Post
    I had an experience at the beach this last weekend. When trying to gain momentum to climb a dune, Low range dug me in. I eventually climbed it but in High Range. My car is a D3 V8.
    We did the 5days Faces of the Namib tour in the Land Cruiser 76 v8 and found High Range easier than Low Range. Another 76v8, a Hilux 4L v6 and Hilux 2.8 found the same. Others had to stick to Low Range 3rd most of the time.
    Riaan Maree

2015 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5TD V8
    2017 VW Golf 7.5 R
    2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport SD4 HSE - SWAMBO
    2016 Bush Lapa Miskruier (Kampwa)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-D View Post
    We did the 5days Faces of the Namib tour in the Land Cruiser 76 v8 and found High Range easier than Low Range. Another 76v8, a Hilux 4L v6 and Hilux 2.8 found the same. Others had to stick to Low Range 3rd most of the time.
    Monkey-D, if you did not have sand drivung experience before that trip, you surely have it now!
    I would like to know what do you mean with easier? How fast were the convoy travelling, how heavy were you loaded, what gears did you use for your dume section and what for your sandy straights?
    1994 Defender TDi 200

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3