De-laminated KM2's

Default De-laminated KM2's

Howzit all,

Just checking if any of you have had this.
    A while ago my wife mas driving along the highway and all of a sudden the car started shaking violently and there was a huge noise.
    She pulled over only to find that the tire had de-laminated and caused the attached damage.
    I got to her and replaced the tire with the spare, luckily I have 2, and put the other spare on the back.
    Not 200km later the other one on the back started doing the same thing. Luckily I was driving and pulled over in time.
    My questions are if anyone has had this problem and even though the tires are 5 years old, they shouldn't de-laminate like this.

Cheers

Gareth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7 december 090.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	469492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7 december 089.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	469493  
    "Anybody can do just about anything with himself that he really wants to and makes up his mind to do.
    We are all capable of greater things than we realize"
    Norman Vincent Peale
    [SIGPIC]

Default Re: De-laminated KM2's

hot vulcanising can only deteriorate when exposed to extreme temperatures and very low pressures as far as I know
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

Quote Originally Posted by GarethAnderson View Post
    Howzit all,

Just checking if any of you have had this.
    A while ago my wife mas driving along the highway and all of a sudden the car started shaking violently and there was a huge noise.
    She pulled over only to find that the tire had de-laminated and caused the attached damage.
    I got to her and replaced the tire with the spare, luckily I have 2, and put the other spare on the back.
    Not 200km later the other one on the back started doing the same thing. Luckily I was driving and pulled over in time.
    My questions are if anyone has had this problem and even though the tires are 5 years old, they shouldn't de-laminate like this.

Cheers

Gareth
    Pic's of the tyres please. A friend has recently experienced something similar and although Michelin eventually replaced, they advised him that they will not do it again. Their argument was that tyres were under inflated (he was running at 2.4 bar) on his Hilux d/cab. They advised minimum pressure of 2.7 - tyres BFG KO2

Landcruiser 79 Series D/Cab 4.2L Diesel
    Bush Lapa Miskruier (no: 34)

I run my tires at the 3 bar on the road.
    "Anybody can do just about anything with himself that he really wants to and makes up his mind to do.
    Norman Vincent Peale
    [SIGPIC]

Howzit G

I had 4 tyres almost do it to me, funny it was KM2ís aswell.

These had been well looked after KM2ís, wear was even and hardly any damage from Offroad. Yet you could see it start happening in the different color of rubber.
    Iíll try look for a pic of them.
    Zach on the site had his spare de laminate on his disco, it looks let a retread tyre.

Seems like the BFís donít like living around the 5 year mark. I have a WestLake mud on the isuzu itís 6 years old and still looks good, the Fortuner has a 5 year old Dunlop and I used it to help a mate and he ended yip doing 1600km on it no problem.

I think itís got to do with the rubber used for those long kilometers the BF rubber are know for.
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 2 4x4.
    2001 Isuzu KB320 Frontier 4x4.
    2012 Polo GT White with community sticker.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Garreth G For This Useful Post:

I have switched over to all terrains now since I am using the bakkie for work and doing a lot more tar.
    I will see how they perform nut as far as I am concerned the BF's are still one of the best tires on the market.
    Norman Vincent Peale
    [SIGPIC]

I've seen tyres do wonderful things after the five year mark. From de-lamination up to one that looked like it was getting acupuncture the way the steel belt protruded from the tread...