Namaquakus kamp

Thread: Namaquakus kamp

Default Namaquakus kamp

Het vir so paar dae langs Namaquakus gaan kamp maak. By Tormine myn regs gedraai en iewers voor Brand se Baai lieflike plek op die strand opgespoor. Daar was alreeds heelpaar ouens wat hul karavane op die rante opgerig het. Reken was by Gert se Baai was daar metaal plaatjies ingeslaan wat lees "bespreek vir Desember". Nie geweet plekke word bespreek nie.

Eerste keer wat ek daar gaan kamp, was voorheen daar verby oppad na die Namaqua Park by Groenriviersmond. Het wel daar kamp gemaak.

Wat my effe onstel was die hoeveelheid rommel wat agtergelaat word, nie baie maar nogtans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0517.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	469268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0509.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	469269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0506.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	469270  
    2009 WK 5.7, OME 2" suspension, free flow no cats with harmonic chamber

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skala For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Namaquakus kamp

Wonderful coast. I can see you had a great trip.

I have never camped at Groen Rivier before - how was it?
    Do you have a good sea view there - which are the best sites?
    Paul

Paul, to my knowledge, from Groenrivier going north you are in the Namaqua National Park. They have beautiful camp sites that you need to book for in season. I took a change out of season in Sep 2015 and was given a site.
    Yes, you are at the sea. Attached are pics where I was at the Skuinsklip site.

Name:	sonsak 1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	469382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skuinsklip 2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	469383  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skala For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Wonderful coast. I can see you had a great trip.

I have never camped at Groen Rivier before - how was it?
    Do you have a good sea view there - which are the best sites?
    Hi Paul

We camped at Kwass se Baai in the Namaqua National Park in September (the park is along the coast between Groenrivier and Spoegrivier with another non coastal section west of the N7 near Kamieskroon).

Have a look on SAN Parks' website to see all the camp sites, almost all the sites have a sea view, you are then as a consequence exposed to the wind, but the scenery more than makes up for a bit of wind. There are numerous small bays and empty beaches. The campsites each has a braai and a small wall protecting you from the south easter. There is an eco type waterless toilet that works very well. Being a national park, it is clean and in my opinion, more beautiful (excuse the clumsy grammar) than the free camping area south of the Groenrivier. Camp sites are very cheap. I attach a few pics. On the photo of the beach with the bamboo you will see our vehicles at the camp site in the background.

Name:	Jaars se Baai.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	469400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kwas (2).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	469401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kwas (3).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	469402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kwas.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	469403  

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

Excellent pics!

Many people seem to avoid Groen Rivier itself. Are the camp sites so bad?

My co-driver is a bit nervous about the scorpions - Namaqua is well known for scorpions. She says did you have any problems?
    Paul

Excellent pics!

Many people seem to avoid Groen Rivier itself. Are the camp sites so bad?

My co-driver is a bit nervous about the scorpions - Namaqua is well known for scorpions. She says did you have any problems?
    The Groenrivier sites (just south of the river) are perhaps too close together and also close to the public road leading south. The other campsites (check coastal camps in the Namaqua National Park on Sanparks' website to see the wide choice you have) are inside the park in an controlled access area and it seemed a bit more quiet there to me.

I have been to the coastal park three times and did not see a single scorpion. I am pretty sure they don't keep that close to the sea. The general rules to avoid scorpions: Don't sleep on the ground, check your shoes before you put your feet in and don't pick up rocks and stones.

If you go: check out the Spoegrivier caves, the mouth of the Spoegrivier and the birdhide just before the mouth. There is a fresh water fountain close to the sea and a seal colony. Also be prepared for wind, when it is quiet it is beautiful but when she blows your cheap popup Game type gazebos will not last.

Many thanks for the useful info. Wind wise it appears that autumn - March - April is a good time.

Did you have any problems with soft sand on that coast road to the Sanparks sites. I hear there is a deep patch between Dwelvers and Kwass and another just past Boulders to Skuinsbaai on the way to Groen Rivier..
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 6 Days Ago at 04:17 PM.
    Paul

Many thanks for the useful info. Wind wise it appears that autumn - March - April is a good time.

Did you have any problems with soft sand on that coast road to the Sanparks sites. I hear there is a deep patch between Dwelvers and Kwass and another just past Boulders on the way to Groen Rivier..
    There are three sandy patches north of Groenrivier, that will test you a bit, but it is only sand so no risk to life / limb / vehicle. If you lower your tyre pressure and keep your forward momentum it is no problem, but take a spade for just in case I have never seen a vehicle get stuck there, but I saw signs of digging and extraction on that section. The other interesting thing : In those three spots there are double (sandy) lanes with signs instructing vehicles to keep RIGHT and not left. I could not figure out why it was right and not left, but the double lane gives one enough confidence to keep your speed high enough not to get stuck without the risk of crashing into an oncoming vehicle.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

regarding scorpions, when I packed up my little tent on last trip, (last weekend) there was a rather large scorpion living under the canvas.
    Been stung by scorpions before and very, very painful. So, they most certainly can be found right next to the sea.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to skala For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Merwe Erasmus View Post
    In those three spots there are double (sandy) lanes with signs instructing vehicles to keep RIGHT and not left. I could not figure out why it was right and not left,.
    Last time I drove through there we kept left and not right. I assume they change it around regularly to try and protect it from being "spun out" too much in one direction.

Regarding scorpions, this past weekend at Yzerfontein we found no less than 6 scorpions under different tents when packing up - I assume it has something to do with the drought, so yes, they can be found close to the sea as well.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackie For This Useful Post:

Well just to add to the scorpions story - one of the locals tells me that when walking in the veld they wear knee high boots. He says scorpions can climb up a leg so fast that when eventually you are aware of something on the back of your leg it is too late. Night time is the worst.
    Paul

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    Last time I drove through there we kept left and not right. I assume they change it around regularly to try and protect it from being "spun out" too much in one direction.

Regarding scorpions, this past weekend at Yzerfontein we found no less than 6 scorpions under different tents when packing up - I assume it has something to do with the drought, so yes, they can be found close to the sea as well.
    I drove the park north to south in 2016 and when this Left Right issue came up on this forum earlier this year, I said I remembered the signs as instructing drivers to Keep Left, but was told by someone who had just done the route that the sign said Keep Right. I then did the route again in Sep this year when the sign said Keep Right, so I thought my 2016 memory was incorrect, but maybe you are correct and they do change it around.

Scorpions: I have learned something new.

What is there to do when camping at these sites?

Can one fish from the beach? Dive for crays?

Or just laze in camp and walk around on the rocks?

I would think all of the above activities, but being a national park not sure about fishing and crays.
    Does somebody know for sure?

Well just to add to the scorpions story - one of the locals tells me that when walking in the veld they wear knee high boots. He says scorpions can climb up a leg so fast that when eventually you are aware of something on the back of your leg it is too late. Night time is the worst.
    Wow !!
    You mean they want to sting you THERE.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Yes you can but require cray licence, fishing licence and mussel licence (for bait) all from Post Office. I am not sure when the open season is for cray.

Quote Originally Posted by skala View Post
    I would think all of the above activities, but being a national park not sure about fishing and crays.
    Does somebody know for sure?
    Paul

Eggie as a veteran of the Richtersveld and other hot scorpion areas we are relying on you for tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Wow !!
    You mean they want to sting you THERE.
    Paul

I hear fishing is good but bear in mind it is a windy area. At the moment blowing every second day. Wind wise March April May said to be among the best months. Not sure when is best for angling. Some of the West Coasters can tell us.

Yes you can but require cray licence, fishing licence and mussel licence (for bait) all from Post Office. I am not sure when the open season is for cray.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 5 Days Ago at 06:48 PM.
    Paul

Eggie as a veteran of the Richtersveld and other hot scorpion areas we are relying on you for tips.
    (Hee-hee.)
    I've had a red roman spider approach me at some really serious speed, but the scorpions always behaved themselves.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Awsome jy die see see sand en kop skoon maak lekke

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post: