New Patrol - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Patrol

Default Re: New Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by offroadbiker View Post
    I think we should invite you to some of our outings...
    The average person that walks into a Nissan dealership looking for a Patrol is not a 4x4 enthusiast looking for a trail car. It's somebody looking for a big reliable car with 4x4 to tow boats and things and for over landing and for a people carrier on the farm. And yes he will use it to the mall, and you will find it covered in mud in the car park at the private school when he drops the kids off at boarding school before going back to the farm.

This doesn't mean a 4x4 enthusiast, like me, doesn't want a Patrol, or wouldn't use a Patrol on trails, but we are by far in the minority of Patrol users.

I have been 4x4ing for about a decade now and have organized many many trails and wheeled with literally hundreds of 4x4 enthusiasts. I can only recall one Patrol ever. Engels one on the river trip. I can almost guarantee that if I go to the local mall this morning there will be at least one Patrol and a bunch of Cruisers, another vehicle with the same user profile.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Go and look how many are driving around in Dubai. 99% of world sales are based on status - bigger is better

The small RSA market doesn't really bother Nissan I reckon - they probably do it for tax breaks or something.

Patrols aren't bought for serious offroaders anymore. It's bought as a status symbol.

"look at me, I drive a big gas gussling luxurious SUV and I look down at you at the lights. I'm rich and have made it"

Yes stereotyping and yes, it doesn't apply to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I have been 4x4ing for about a decade now and have organized many many trails and wheeled with literally hundreds of 4x4 enthusiasts. I can only recall one Patrol ever. Engels one on the river trip. I can almost guarantee that if I go to the local mall this morning there will be at least one Patrol and a bunch of Cruisers, another vehicle with the same user profile.
    I honestly don't agree with you. Before making sweeping comments like that, I'd recommend that you join us on one of the Patrol forum trips. Or buy a few issues of "Drive Out" or what-ever it's called these days. About 20% of one magazine (the one with the Patrol forum dune trip IIRC) was related to Patrol Forum outings. And that is just one of the magazines - we've featured in a whole bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Go and look how many are driving around in Dubai. 99% of world sales are based on status - bigger is better

The small RSA market doesn't really bother Nissan I reckon - they probably do it for tax breaks or something.

Patrols aren't bought for serious offroaders anymore. It's bought as a status symbol.

"look at me, I drive a big gas gussling luxurious SUV and I look down at you at the lights. I'm rich and have made it"

I lulzed at this. A VW owner using the phrase: "serious offroaders" and "status symbol"

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post

I lulzed at this. A VW owner using the phrase: "serious offroaders" and "status symbol"
    I do more serious offroading with my beetle than most Patrol owners. I can bet you a beer on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I honestly don't agree with you. Before making sweeping comments like that, I'd recommend that you join us on one of the Patrol forum trips. Or buy a few issues of "Drive Out" or what-ever it's called these days. About 20% of one magazine (the one with the Patrol forum dune trip IIRC) was related to Patrol Forum outings. And that is just one of the magazines - we've featured in a whole bunch.

I can make any statement I want to, especially if it is the truth from my vantage point.

Inviting me on a Patrol forum trip to make your point is just plain stupid. Off course you will find Patrols on a Patrol forum trip, duh, and also at the Nissan club outings. Pretty much like going to a forum GTG and saying, ooh look at all the 4x4 enthusiasts.

That's the problem with ALL specialized interest groups, they live in a bubble thinking everybody is like them. Well here is the thing, they don't. You and probably the people you associate with are a minority. Just like everybody on this forum, we don't represent the majority in our belief and choices, not by a very long shot.

I reiterate, the average Patrol buyer is not a 4x4 enthusiast looking for a trail car, even though he may actually morph into one over time once he gets a Patrol.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D

I have seen more Patrols on serious 4x4 outings than many of the more popular brands. Have seen them on very tight trails never under estimate a Patrol for its size.

In person I considered buying a Patrol. All that counted against it were dealer networkS. In the end we bought the 76 v8.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

I do more serious offroading with my beetle than most Patrol owners. I can bet you a beer on that one.

Marius if you will ever join us on a 4x4 outing it will be a first for me. Have never seen a Touareg off road. I do exclude gravel roads, but again I will be able to count that on one hand.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Nice to see Fluffy stirring with impunity as usual.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I have seen more Patrols on serious 4x4 outings than many of the more popular brands. Have seen them on very tight trails never under estimate a Patrol for its size.
    Interestingly a patrol got a shorter wheel base than a hilux...

Quote Originally Posted by PATROLLICA View Post
    Interestingly a patrol got a shorter wheel base than a hilux...
    2750mm if I recall?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

I would love to have this V8 Patrol. much more exciting....nothing a set of 33" tyers and a slight lift can't fix.

To do better than the old Patrol it only have to sell 2 a month anyway so theres hope.
    NICK

3.3 V6 Hardbody
    4.0 V6 Navara

....jip that's me, except for the serious off-roading part, that I do indeed...
    Nissan Patrol 4800
    x-4x4-partners:...
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8 Hi-Lux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

Different people buy Patrols for different reasons. I don't do many trails anymore but coil springs on solid axles is a key principle for me, even for overlanding. And I am over Land Rover; tired of the endless issues. So that leaves a pretty small subset of machines as possibilities. G-Wagen is nice and I looked at them seriously but couldn't figure out what MB was trying to sell me other than a front locker that a Patrol didn't already have (and sometimes better - eg rollover angle) at half the price.

In the end, the durability of a Patrol 4.8 (they are *tough*), its open road cruising ability, the ability to travel long distances without excessive driver fatigue, the ability to laugh off bad roads and potholes at speed (probably more than any other car), the great value for money, superb offroad capability when needed, goid towing ability and a number of other things were my reasons for buying a Y61. The ability to do trails is not a really big factor for me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Clem For This Useful Post:

If i had the $$$ I'd buy the new Patrol in a heartbeat.

It's a great looking vehicle for touring with my Bushlapa.
    BL324
    98 Hilux SFA 2.2 Ltd with EFI (Slakkie)

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Nice to see Fluffy stirring with impunity as usual.
    I'm trying to keep my "Thanked" counts down.

I have a reputation to protect.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

One one dune trip a guy joined us in his touareq V10. It costed him R80 000 at that stage to fix the oil cooler and tupperware after the trip. He then bought a Patrol for such excursions, much cheaper. Most of us obviously had LCs.
    Johan Kriel

LC's; PU, SW and Prado

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    Peter, I agree with every word you said. But again, the only real positive you mentioned is that a solid-axle setup is more reliable in the long term - I don't know of anyone who would argue with that assessment. However, in today's world, the VAST majority of people only drive a car for between say 3 and 5 years.

A few years back I looked at a pristine 1995 80 series Land Cruiser 4500EFI, at the time it only had 120000kms on the clock and didn't look like it had ever gone off-road. I was seriously tempted, but sanity prevailed. The reality was that it would have had to be my daily driver. Roughly 40kms a day and then also do holidays and camping trips. In my opinion, it doesn't really make sense to buy a 16/17 year old car for this purpose - where you will be adding 25000 to 30000kms a year to an already old vehicle. And the biggest problem is that I don't have space to keep a third vehicle - for which the old Cruiser would have been ideal in my opinion.

So my current weapon of choice is a newish FJ Cruiser, it's certainly capable enough for my type of use, and I have a guarantee and motorplan for the next 3-5 years. Sanity is overrated anyway.
    I'm a fan of the old Patrols since being a child , I remember the SWB ones that were around in the eighties...I am now reaching an age when I want to drive the vehicles that made my heart race as a kid. Hope I am not developing a vintage car thing lol. I overland around southern Africa in a 21 year old Toyota , and it feels great. Give me one of those old patrols any day over the new SUVs, I find them heartless , samey and boring.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I'm trying to keep my "Thanked" counts down.

I have a reputation to protect.
    You said you were lusting after a Patrol. Buy one and join us on a trip. You will change your opinion. And your thanks will neither go up nor down - Dustbins afterall.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    One one dune trip a guy joined us in his touareq V10. It costed him R80 000 at that stage to fix the oil cooler and tupperware after the trip. He then bought a Patrol for such excursions, much cheaper. Most of us obviously had LCs.
    My point exactly. But we will need to defer to Marius. He does more crazy crap in his VW than us Patrol folk ever will...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Isaak Newton is reputed to have said "give me a lever long enough and I will move the earth" or something to that effect.

And that is exactly why good live-axle setup is more robust than an independent setup: look how far the suspension mounting points are apart, compared to an independent setup.

A Y62 will probably do everything a Y61 can do in the first year. By the tenth, I expect it to be a pile of rusty junk. My Y60 has been doing the toughest roads and trails I could find for 8 years, without a single major breakage (sure, I've ripped all four the mudflaps off, and the rear mudguards, and written off a acouple of tires and so forth).

More than that, if it was human, it could have voted this year, and has more than a 1/3rd of a million k's on the clock, a lot of that on terrible roads or none at all. How many D3's do you think will still be going strong after that?

I know of one guy who's had to replace his front suspension wishbones twice. At less than 100k km Two colleagues of mine don't go on a long trip without a spare suspension compressor...
    Peter everything you say about beam axles and the Y61 undercarriage is true but I looked at the Y62 online brochure yesterday afternoon and I must admit that its very tempting. Coil springs all round - no air bags. Sure, it'll never take the beating that a Y61 can. But for someone like me who has kind of given up on really doing much in the way of really tough trails and pretty much just wants a really good overlander, great towing vehicle and a machine that can eat up the miles.... That V8 is very tempting. Still quite happy with my newish Y61. But you know.... :-)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast