Solar panel pricing - Page 4




Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 92
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    44
    Posts
    820
    Thanked: 55

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Possibly of interest to you, there are also many free apps available for you to download that show you what your tilt angle should be on your panels. Obviously tilt angles change for the time of year and the latitude of your location to maximise the efficiency of your panels. Panel tilt angle of 45 degrees would be more efficient in the winter in SA than this time if year.

    Its maybe just an idea for you.
    This app is so simple to use!

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...OLARPE_english
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to swakop_toe For This Useful Post:


  3. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bosveldsig, Nylstroom/Modimolle
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,695
    Thanked: 125

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post
    Possibly of interest to you, there are also many free apps available for you to download that show you what your tilt angle should be on your panels. Obviously tilt angles change for the time of year and the latitude of your location to maximise the efficiency of your panels. Panel tilt angle of 45 degrees would be more efficient in the winter in SA than this time if year.

    Its maybe just an idea for you.

    This app is so simple to use!

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...OLARPE_english
    I use a simple non techno method.
    Simply stick a golf T with wonder putty upside down on the panel.
    When there are no shadow from the T on the panel you have a perfect 90 deg to the sun.

    A 7.62 R1 casing works just as well.

    When you do not see the shadow (provided the sun shines), you get max photons on it.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

    .

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:


  5. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    55
    Posts
    27,995
    Thanked: 4878

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Danie S View Post
    I use a simple non techno method.
    Simply stick a golf T with wonder putty upside down on the panel.
    When there are no shadow from the T on the panel you have a perfect 90 deg to the sun.

    A 7.62 R1 casing works just as well.

    When you do not see the shadow (provided the sun shines), you get max photons on it.
    wanted to say exactly this

    the American NASA anecdotally spent a few million dollars developing a pen that could work in zero gravity
    the Russians used a pencil....................
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

  6. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,087
    Thanked: 181

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Danie S View Post
    I use a simple non techno method.
    Simply stick a golf T with wonder putty upside down on the panel.
    When there are no shadow from the T on the panel you have a perfect 90 deg to the sun.

    A 7.62 R1 casing works just as well.

    When you do not see the shadow (provided the sun shines), you get max photons on it.
    The app sounds like fun to use but how does one measure the angle in the bush. My non techno method involves tilting the panel to maximise the shadow it casts. Maximum shadow = maximum sun on the panels.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:


  8. #65

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    The app sounds like fun to use but how does one measure the angle in the bush. My non techno method involves tilting the panel to maximise the shadow it casts. Maximum shadow = maximum sun on the panels.
    App uses phone GPS not cell phone signal.

    Everyone has their own method it would seem.

  9. #66

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    App uses phone GPS not cell phone signal.

    Everyone has their own method it would seem.
    Smart phones have gyroscopes built in to calculate angle

  10. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    68
    Posts
    3,821
    Thanked: 346

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Danie S View Post
    I use a simple non techno method.
    Simply stick a golf T with wonder putty upside down on the panel.
    When there are no shadow from the T on the panel you have a perfect 90 deg to the sun.

    A 7.62 R1 casing works just as well.

    When you do not see the shadow (provided the sun shines), you get max photons on it.
    Now why would anyone want to use a foolproof, simple, cheap and effective way to do it when there so many highly techno interesting and challenging solutions available?
    Eggie.

    What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggie For This Useful Post:


  12. #68

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Now why would anyone want to use a foolproof, simple, cheap and effective way to do it when there so many highly techno interesting and challenging solutions available?
    Exactly. thats why have an ammeter and voltmeter on my panel too.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:


  14. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bosveldsig, Nylstroom/Modimolle
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,695
    Thanked: 125

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Now why would anyone want to use a foolproof, simple, cheap and effective way to do it when there so many highly techno interesting and challenging solutions available?
    Because ................

    We have cell phones
    We have technology
    We have toys for men (and woman)
    We have apps
    We have brains
    We have a flat battery as the app did not work
    We have warm beer (biggest problem!)
    We have an excuse to keep the Lady happy (see next one )
    We have money to buy new toys to make it work (related to the one directly above)

    To me the answer is always "KISS" and "You have a choice"
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

    .

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:


  16. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bosveldsig, Nylstroom/Modimolle
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,695
    Thanked: 125

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Comment from the peanut gallery, and I quote;

    " Show me the invoice so I can see what it cost"


    A silence fell in the room, I will stick to my non techno method!
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

    .

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:


  18. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Tzaneen
    Posts
    48
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Roelko View Post
    Hello Mitsu Fan

    I have bought solar panels and related components from Sintech two years ago. They have a good helpful web site, www.sinetech.co.za and a team of engineers designing systems for customers. They only sell high quality equipment which makes it one less thing to worry about and their prices are good.

    I suggest you get a quote from them and also some free advise for your aplication.
    I also strongly recommend Sinetech - they are very professional and really know their stuff when it comes to backup power systems. I bought a 3kW 48V system from Sinetech a few years ago - 9 x 230W panels, 24 x Hoppecke 2V batteries, Outback inverter. It's a kicka$$ system and the service, backup support and pricing from Sinetech was second to none.
    2009 Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 single cab

  19. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Krugerdorp
    Age
    38
    Posts
    426
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by rollacorolla View Post
    I also strongly recommend Sinetech - they are very professional and really know their stuff when it comes to backup power systems. I bought a 3kW 48V system from Sinetech a few years ago - 9 x 230W panels, 24 x Hoppecke 2V batteries, Outback inverter. It's a kicka$$ system and the service, backup support and pricing from Sinetech was second to none.
    If i may stick in a quick question: on your system, how long does your system last? Running a normal 350l odd fridge/freezer unit??
    I ask about the fridge coz it gives a good idea of how much power your system gives. Compared to lights.
    An avarage fridge chows around 1kW of 220v power per 24h day.

    Thank you
    Dominik says:
    Build them, Don't buy them

    2004 TJ Sahara
    4.5 Rubicon Express, SYE, 35"Maxxis, Custom Hi-lift mount, winch and plenty other things

    1975 Willys CJ6

  20. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Tzaneen
    Posts
    48
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    I had a Bosch 90W A++ fridge and separate Bosch 90W A++ freezer, both low power and very good insulation. My system could stay up for about 3 days at a push without any sun (ie constant rain) with lights, fridge, freezer, 2 laptops, borehole pump (10 minutes per day to fill tanks), etc but then you start hitting the 80% limit on the batteries which is not a good idea, so time to fire up the generator...
    2009 Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 single cab

  21. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,089
    Thanked: 109

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    So I have decided to go solar on the camping fridge. I have the following:

    16mm2 cable running to rear of bakkie
    Victron cyrix ct 120 in engine bay - controlling cutoff/charge to rear.
    fuses etc in between where required.
    102 a/h leisure unit in rear powering fridge (40litre camp master with danfoss compressor.)

    WRND 20 A Controller mounting via crocodile clamps to battery when required and harrison plug to connect to solar.

    I am guessing 120watt panel to be suffice?

    If I am guessing correct where would the best price be and what type of panel? 4x4 direct is going @ about R10/watt. Is this going rate or cheaper to be found else where

    I don't what cheap chinese, but also don't require rolls royce.

  22. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    35
    Posts
    863
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Check out re-volt.co.za
    Have used them and they courier too, their panels are quality. I got some aquasol 36V panels that I can use with my bluesolar charger
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2010 jimny - sold what a 4x4
    2001 colt V6 - sold (drinker)

  23. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    68
    Posts
    3,821
    Thanked: 346

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    So I have decided to go solar on the camping fridge. I have the following:

    16mm2 cable running to rear of bakkie
    Victron cyrix ct 120 in engine bay - controlling cutoff/charge to rear.
    fuses etc in between where required.
    102 a/h leisure unit in rear powering fridge (40litre camp master with danfoss compressor.)

    WRND 20 A Controller mounting via crocodile clamps to battery when required and harrison plug to connect to solar.

    I am guessing 120watt panel to be suffice?

    If I am guessing correct where would the best price be and what type of panel? 4x4 direct is going @ about R10/watt. Is this going rate or cheaper to be found else where

    I don't what cheap chinese, but also don't require rolls royce.
    120W will probably suffice, but I'd suggest you consider a little bigger: 2 x 80W.

    You may end up in an overcast situation and then a little extra is a great comfort. Another thing is you may end up needing to power a laptop, phone, camp lights or some similar what-have-you item, and then you will be ready for the eventuality.

    R10/W is fine. You may find as low as R6/W, but then you have to take a whole pallet load of panels.
    Eggie.

    What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

  24. #77

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    120W will probably suffice, but I'd suggest you consider a little bigger: 2 x 80W.

    You may end up in an overcast situation and then a little extra is a great comfort. Another thing is you may end up needing to power a laptop, phone, camp lights or some similar what-have-you item, and then you will be ready for the eventuality.

    R10/W is fine. You may find as low as R6/W, but then you have to take a whole pallet load of panels.
    I agree with 2 x 80w. The more solar power the better.

  25. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Walker Bay
    Age
    74
    Posts
    7,953
    Thanked: 413

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Have always considered 160W to be what one should aim for with one fridge.
    Good advice from Eggie!
    Paul

  26. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,361
    Thanked: 273

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    I used these guys:

    "The Powerforum Store Sales" <sales@powerforum-store.co.za>. Jason was my contact.

    Watch out for 4x4 direct. Their prices exclude VAT which pushes the price beyond R 100 per watt once factored in. Mine were R1880 inclusive for 2 x 90 W. This included getting them here from CT.

    Their panels are smaller than 4x4 Direct which is nice.


    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu Fan For This Useful Post:


  28. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    52
    Posts
    81
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Solar panel pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu Fan View Post
    I used these guys:

    "The Powerforum Store Sales" <sales@powerforum-store.co.za>. Jason was my contact.

    Watch out for 4x4 direct. Their prices exclude VAT which pushes the price beyond R 100 per watt once factored in. Mine were R1880 inclusive for 2 x 90 W. This included getting them here from CT.

    Their panels are smaller than 4x4 Direct which is nice.



    http://www.4x4direct.co.za/content/3...ditions-of-use

    TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
    Use of this web site is at your own risk
    Don't come cry by us if your wife is upset with the number of goods you bought.
    It is your own responsibility not to over spend.
    We know it is very tempting not to buy more at these low prices.


    Price:
    All prices on the web site INCLUDE VAT.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:


Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •