Where to go for the quietest stay?! Rupara Restcamp, Livingstone Camp, Nambwa Camp

Default Where to go for the quietest stay?! Rupara Restcamp, Livingstone Camp, Nambwa Camp

Hi all!
    I'm sorry if this might be a bit repetitive but I am rather confused and need some advice!
    I don't know this part all that well and so am still trying to get the lay of the land.
    It appears to me that there are 3 fairly wild campsites available between Nkasa Rupara and Mudumu/Kwando....which I previously thought were all in Nkasa!

So where to go!? They all look lovely and the prices all seem to be similar. So now it's down to which game area (Nkasa or Mdumu/Kwando) and which one is the quietest/most isolated!
    I was hoping for some proper wild campsites with no people around, which doesn't look like its possible anymore, so which one of these offers the closest to that: Livingstone Camp, Rupara Rest Camp (community run just outside of Nkasa Rupara, newly renovated it seems) or African Monarch Nambwa Camp (also community run close to Kongola) I believe there is a lodge close by to Nambwa and Rupara rest camp...which I'd imagine would detract a bit from the atmosphere...

Which one do you recommend?

Thanks! I am sure they are all lovely and do a great job, this is really just about privacy and a bit of peace and quiet

Default Re: Where to go for the quietest stay?! Rupara Restcamp, Livingstone Camp, Nambwa Cam

I can not comment about Livingstone camp, but we have been both to Rupara Rest Camp and to Nambwa Camp this August. If there will be other tourists in those camps while you will be there (most likely this will be the case), you will definitely notice their presence. Campsites in both of them are quite close to each other. This is particularly true for Nambwa, slightly less for Rupara. Also, in Nambwa you'll definitely notice the presence of the lodge which right next to campsite (actually, access road to the lodge goes through campsite), while in Rupara, the lodge is a bit further away and you will not notice its presence.

When we were there, we were the only campers in Rupara campsite, so it felt truly wild. This felling might be less distinctive when there are other campers in the camp. On the other side, Nambwa campsite was packed full during our stay, only two overflow campsite left empty. Nevertheless, we still enjoyed it tremendously.

If you are really looking for solitude and wilderness, why don't you consider camping inside the Mudumu national park? There, you are guaranteed both of those two things. There are only three campsites in the park, and all of them quite far away from each other. There are no camping facilities at the campsites though, only longdrop. You have to be totally self sufficient.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Where to go for the quietest stay?! Rupara Restcamp, Livingstone Camp, Nambwa Cam

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    I can not comment about Livingstone camp, but we have been both to Rupara Rest Camp and to Nambwa Camp this August. If there will be other tourists in those camps while you will be there (most likely this will be the case), you will definitely notice their presence. Campsites in both of them are quite close to each other. This is particularly true for Nambwa, slightly less for Rupara. Also, in Nambwa you'll definitely notice the presence of the lodge which right next to campsite (actually, access road to the lodge goes through campsite), while in Rupara, the lodge is a bit further away and you will not notice its presence.

When we were there, we were the only campers in Rupara campsite, so it felt truly wild. This felling might be less distinctive when there are other campers in the camp. On the other side, Nambwa campsite was packed full during our stay, only two overflow campsite left empty. Nevertheless, we still enjoyed it tremendously.

If you are really looking for solitude and wilderness, why don't you consider camping inside the Mudumu national park? There, you are guaranteed both of those two things. There are only three campsites in the park, and all of them quite far away from each other. There are no camping facilities at the campsites though, only longdrop. You have to be totally self sufficient.
    Thanks so much! Do you by any chance know who to contact for Mudumu?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BushcatDiaries For This Useful Post:

This must surely depend on the amount of time you have on your hands and how efficient your camp set up and take down time are? I would also visit all the areas in the Caprivi that I can so as to see and experience them all. This is not how everyone likes to do it, but different courses for different horses.
    I would advise you to spend a night at each place, but these are right next to each other and can almost be visited in a day.
    I would thus suggest a night at the community camp at Nkasa Rupara, to visit this Park. I understand that this camp has been upgraded, so I cannot tell you what the current fees are.
    I would then move on to Mudumu for which you will only pay the Park fees of about R70.00 with free camping in the park, but you needto be self sufficient in every respect. Unfortunately the office is on the western side/Kongola side of the Park. This camp would undoubtedly be the quietest of the ones that I have mentioned and the quietest, as you may only have one or two day visitors. Very few people sleep in this park, but it is also not always over run by game of all types.
    The third night can be spent on the western side of the Kwando River at Susuwe Triangle/Nambwa Park, but I found this to be the most expensive Park in the Caprivi. If I rememember correctly it cost about R495.00 for two people to spend a night in this park.
    There are a lot of camp sites scattered around this area and each has its own merits. We have also stayed at Malyo Camp, near Kwando, which is also a community camp and in 2008 and 2016 we were the only people there.
    The more different places you stay at the more likely you are to find the optimum place for future travels...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to haboob For This Useful Post:

I second most of that already advised.

In Nkasa Rupara the community associated rest camp would be the better option. The lodge is some distance away and will not impact. At Livingstone Camp the eccentric owner is prone to be a little intrusive, particularly after a few of your drinks. However if you would like long yarns about the life of David Livingstone it will suit you.

In Mudumu, Nakwata campsite no 3 is very isolated and the best bush experience available in the Caprivi IMO. Here there are no facilities but you camp right on the Namibian side of the Linyanti Wetlands. Campsite no 2 is not too bad but no 1 is quite close to the ranger station. All these 3 campsites are up to a km or more apart.
    At Nakwata we just arrived without a booking and I am not sure if you can book but perhaps others can update here.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

I agree with everything said by Haboob and Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by BushcatDiaries View Post
    Thanks so much! Do you by any chance know who to contact for Mudumu?
    I found the contact for the ranger of Mudumu with whom you can arrange reservations for camping on this forum: his (her?) name is Beauty, phone +264 81 390 0040. We did not make any advance reservations for Mudumu and when we arrived at park office to arrange for camping, it turned out that all three campsites were occupied for that day. So we moved to Nkasa Rupara camp for that night, but were able to get free campsite #1 in Mudumu for next two night. The ranger that we were arranging our stay in Mudumu with was definitely not named Beauty and his phone number was different from the one above, but unfortunately I cant find his details any more. I would still try to get Beauty on the above number, in worst case you will get another contact from him.
    Last edited by ortelius; 6 Days Ago at 11:30 AM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Caprivi Houseboat Safari Lodge, Katima Mulilo

I can echo some of the above.

Rupara Campsite is on a thread in the Namibia section. Recently upgraded and also new self-catering units. Far from the lodge, so now impact.

Livingstone Camp's owner is no more. Don't know what the plans for continuity are. Also no impact from major traffic.

Nkasa Rupara National Park is very seldom visited and a very quiet place. Love it.

Mudumu has got excellent wild camping on their 3 sites.

Malyo is not a community camp.

Nambwa not isolated or quiet due to the site being utilised for establishing the lodge.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sandbug For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sandbug View Post
    Livingstone Camp's owner is no more. Don't know what the plans for continuity are.
    Interesting Curt, any details?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

I have recently booked at Livingstone so will give some feedback when I return.

Wildest, quietest and most remote you will find in that vicinity is Nakatwa #3 campsite in Mudumu, at least a few years ago when I was there.
    '89 LR 110 V8

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post: