Help me choose: Echo Chobe, Bush Lapa Kewer, Imagine Trailvan? - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Help me choose: Echo Chobe, Bush Lapa Kewer, Imagine Trailvan?

Quote Originally Posted by Windsock View Post
    "Did I make the right choice? 100% yes!"

My Chobe was ordered in November, and it will be ready by the end of January (my choice as I am in no rush). Reading this feedback is encouraging and adding to the excitement!
    We have been camping since 1989, and had two "road" caravans when we decided in 2016 to try a bush trailer - after two local trips and one to Ponta we realized we need a little more comfort and decided on the bush caravan. The Chobe ticked all our boxes, and I will provide feedback after our first "test" camp during February.

Although I initially did not push delivery, the little boy is now coming out, and I am counting the days to delivery.

Kamp groete,
    Ben.
    Ben jy sal hom geniet! Na ons met treiler gekamp het is die Echo se ekstra gerief ongelooflik! Ek sal graag wil hoor hoe jy regkom met die voorste bed se terugsit.

Innes

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    I own a bushlapa, but what I like about Echo, is that they make the chassis out of 5mm steel plate and then bend the channels, they don't use lipped channel etc (meant for car ports)
    Good point! I did not notice, except that the channels containing water piping and electric cables looked well designed and organised.

Innes

BL dont rust...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    BL dont rust...
    I have read one or two posts on this forum about rust issues on BLs, for what it is worth......

Quote Originally Posted by Hmboldboy View Post
    I have read one or two posts on this forum about rust issues on BLs, for what it is worth......
    If my recollection is correct, that is....in fact a BL dealer told me that there is no longtime warranty agaist rust.....

If my recollection is correct, that is....in fact a BL dealer told me that there is no longtime warranty agaist rust.....
    Why give a warranty against rust on a unit that is mainly manufactured out of 3CR12 stainless steel and aluminium? Unfortunately making things like couplers, jockey wheels, stabilizers etc out of stainless steel is not economically viable. Like with all other manufacturers, these items are sourced from outside companies and like on all other trailer makes, they are prone to rust if you do lots of coastal camping. One cannot expect BL to have a warranty on those components.
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2018/02/13 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

Is it 1 or 2? out of over a thousand sold. As far as I am aware as per Michael the rust is not on the body but on ancillary components like hundreds of other brands.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Is it 1 or 2? out of over a thousand sold. As far as I am aware as per Michael the rust is not on the body but on ancillary components like hundreds of other brands.
    Why dont you read my comments before replying? I said one or two POSTS, not one or two BLs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Why give a warranty against rust on a unit that is mainly manufactured out of 3CR12 stainless steel and aluminium? Unfortunately making things like couplers, jockey wheels, stabilizers etc out of stainless steel is not economically viable. Like with all other manufacturers, these items are sourced from outside companies and like on all other trailer makes, they are prone to rust if you do lots of coastal camping. One cannot expect BL to have a warranty on those components.
    Thats like saying LRs dont give trouble - its only their components sourced from other manufacturers that are unreliable!..... by the way, I have a LR.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hmboldboy For This Useful Post:

I wonder if this thread was Help me Choose or What rust and what doesn't ?

Thats like saying LRs dont give trouble - its only their components sourced from other manufacturers that are unreliable!..... by the way, I have a LR.
    ...so the fact that they give a 5 Year structural warranty on chassis and main body on the gogga units should say something... I too had a LR... once... .
    Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
    BMW F800GS

Would a component deficiency that is prevalent in all Product being compared impact on one's decision. I don't think so.

For this choice to be effectively made we need a list of Positives and Negatives for each product and what impact it will have on the buyer.

What could help is a list of what key attributes should each look for i.e; Chassis and Wheel Assbly, Ease of deployment, Waterproofing, Kitchen Facilities, Sleeping Facilities, ease of access, Ablution facilities, Price structure, Towing profile of trailer, Track width,
    MikevR

Be determined to live the unlived
    life within you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dp123 View Post
    I wonder if this thread was Help me Choose or What rust and what doesn't ?
    Sorry. My mistake, I always thought that when I choose an off road caravan, I should look at factors such as whether or not the caravan is susceptable to wood rot, rust, or any other reported problems, especially those reported by members of this forum.

If a product is made substantially out of 3CR12 steel, and aluminium, why not provide a 10 or 20 year warranty against rust - at least on those components? The BL dealer I am negotiating with made it clear that the BL came with a limited ( in time, not on components) warranty against rust. "Our caravans are made out of ......... which cannot rust, but it is only guaranteed against rust for X number of years" . If BL makes such a good product, why would it possibly source some components from other manufacturers which are susceptible to rust?
    Anyway, I am just curious, as the Consumer Protection Act supplements other legal remedies in any event.

We are OT but if you picked up on the 1 or 2 posts you mentioned, you clearly have been reading the BL threads and should know they never run away from possible issues that needs to be addressed... within reason.

Question, what is regarded as rust on the s/s structure and chassis they manufacture? An off-road van is towed behind a vehicle where it is hammered by stones on gravel roads. Flying stones removes paint... This can happen in one trip if you do not use stone protectors. If that bare metal (even 3CR12) are exposed to sea air, It will show surface rust. It will not rust like normal steel so it will not fall apart in your lifetime. Some people would look at it and say, that is rust... but is it? Should that be covered by a lifetime warranty on rust? Where do you draw the line? I would rather handle each case on merit which is exactly what they are doing .

The OP already made his choice last year. He is probably surprised to see that this thread is still alive...
    Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
    BMW F800GS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

Hi Mike

1. We realize that the originator has made hischoice. My point was that in helping anybody make the choice there should besome structure in the process when comparing. Anybody reading this thread maywant to make a similar choice therefor the thread lives on.
    2. I agree with you on the rust issues on thechassis and framework issues and stone chipping but any person who has been ona trip should review his van and take action when there are these issuespresent. Paint on a bit of rust stop or do some form of maintenance. Is thatnot what one should do with any capital equipment.
    3. May be we should have a thread questioning “Whatare key attributes when choosing a off road camper / caravan / trailer”

Many thanks for your inputs.

MikevR

Be determined to live the unlived
    life within you.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

If a product is made substantially out of 3CR12 steel, and aluminium, why not provide a 10 or 20 year warranty against rust - at least on those components? The BL dealer I am negotiating with made it clear that the BL came with a limited ( in time, not on components) warranty against rust. "Our caravans are made out of ......... which cannot rust, but it is only guaranteed against rust for X number of years" . If BL makes such a good product, why would it possibly source some components from other manufacturers which are susceptible to rust?
    Anyway, I am just curious, as the Consumer Protection Act supplements other legal remedies in any event.
    sorry old boy but I think you are being a bit anal and unrealistic in your approach to this. Nobody will give a 10 or 20 year warranty, no matter what material....this is just being unrealistic.

As for other components such as jockey wheels etc. no manufacturer makes their own, not even BL. Once again you are being unrealistic.

If I was BL I would see you as a potential problem customer and rather not sell to you...especially seeing as you are already mentioning the CPA.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    sorry old boy but I think you are being a bit anal and unrealistic in your approach to this. Nobody will give a 10 or 20 year warranty, no matter what material....this is just being unrealistic.

As for other components such as jockey wheels etc. no manufacturer makes their own, not even BL. Once again you are being unrealistic.

If I was BL I would see you as a potential problem customer and rather not sell to you...especially seeing as you are already mentioning the CPA.
    Well, I suppose you are right. I cerainly think that I am a bit more demanding than the average South African consumer who often settles for mediocrity. Some manufacturers provide lifetime guarantees for their products which, I suspect, comes about because they have total confidence in the quality of their products. And you can rest assured that I am most definitely a "problem customer" - whatever that means - in relation to any products or services that I contract for, and which do not meet my legitimate expectations.

3CR12 is not stainless steel. It is rust resistant steel.
    Stainless steel will also rust, if it is in contact with contaminants for extended periods.
    2003 Grand Cherokee 2.7 Limited. 2" lift. Cat-less. EGR defeat.
    Echotech3 with kitchen sink. Sold. Building a new offroad van.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Well, I suppose you are right. I cerainly think that I am a bit more demanding than the average South African consumer who often settles for mediocrity. Some manufacturers provide lifetime guarantees for their products which, I suspect, comes about because they have total confidence in the quality of their products. And you can rest assured that I am most definitely a "problem customer" - whatever that means - in relation to any products or services that I contract for, and which do not meet my legitimate expectations.
    fortunately us BL owners do not settle for mediocrity.

I would love love to find a product designed for outdoor use such as an offroad trailer with any part subject to a lifetime warranty. Imagine the terms and conditions the warranty would be subject to?

Please enlighten me to products you know with lifetime warranties.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast