Cheers Eskom - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Cheers Eskom

Default Re: Cheers Eskom

Ek gaan kyk so nou-en-dan na die venstertjie .. die battery gaan op tot 55 volt en die lading is so tussen 1.3 en 1.7 kW.

... dis nou as ons lekker sonskyn het
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Johan Mitchell, Swambo : Marthie.

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150.
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

Desember se kragrekening was 'n raps oor R600, af van ons gemiddeld van R1500

Ons gaan met meer sonskyn in die winter nog breŽr glimlag.

'88 Ballade 150.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus. Pelser View Post
    All that expensive stuff needs shade

Putting up a brave fight against global warming...
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009
    Nissan Almera platkar

Ek werk nog, want die bank wil dit so hÍ...

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    I can laugh at some of these guys/companies offering systems, and telling you that you can go off grid for under a R100k. Client is led to believe that he can run his entire house on 1-2kw, and yes, even the geyser.

Still beter is some people that tell you they are actually doing it. I played around with a business in Parys doing alternative energy solutions for a year or two, and the stuff I saw people being conned into was amazing. Unfortunately I could not stick around long enough for the repocussion of the BS to start bringing the clients back to me, that I had lost to companies quoting less than half I was.
    A family related business is involved in solar energy, quite often we come across exactly what you described, as with most things, what you pay is what you get, so if they want to go cheap, by all means, good luck.
    Ivanka - With running modifications by H.O. Memade engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaitshi Gubib View Post
    Ons gaan met meer sonskyn in die winter nog breŽr glimlag.
    Love to know how this will happen? The days during mid-winter have two hours less sun light.

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Unfortunately I could not stick around long enough for the repocussion of the BS to start bringing the clients back to me, that I had lost to companies quoting less than half I was.
    It's a pity as well, because I've seen a lot of new development in Parys, there seems to be money coming in? New shopping centers, new SMME startups?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Love to know how this will happen? The days during mid-winter have two hours less sun light.
    Less cloud cover and lower temperatures is my guess.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    True, but we have almost no cloud during winter.

It's during those rainy days in summer when one often see no sun for a few days that we struggle .. also electricity supply from Eskom is usually off during rainy days, thunderstorms, for various reasons .. that's when the gennie has to run (petrol=expensive)

So, consistent supply of sunshine, although a bit less, is what will make us smile in winter.

'88 Ballade 150.

Finally got the actuator in the mail...
    busy getting it all dialed in and the controller firmware written.

even has bluetooth and an app to go on the side...
    Last edited by #Rotor; 2018/01/17 at 11:06 AM.

2nd day of fine-tuning and it's almost smooth as silk... busy time-lapsing the 3rd day...

Adding some safety routines around the wind and hail modes, to prevent it from suddenly wanting to move around, while strapped down...
    Also first light and last light procedures, for ensuring it will start up properly in the mornings, and track back eastward, after the day is done...

Smoothing out the tracking in cloudy situations is still the biggest hurdle though... so many variables...
    Last edited by #Rotor; 2018/01/17 at 11:10 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to #Rotor For This Useful Post:

Lyk goed

Wonder hoe lyk jou graph in vergelyking met n dag waar jy nie tracking gedoen het nie?
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie100 View Post
    Lyk goed

Wonder hoe lyk jou graph in vergelyking met n dag waar jy nie tracking gedoen het nie?
    Ek wil dit ook graag sien.

Quote Originally Posted by #Rotor View Post
    2nd day of fine-tuning and it's almost smooth as silk... busy time-lapsing the 3rd day...

Adding some safety routines around the wind and hail modes, to prevent it from suddenly wanting to move around, while strapped down...
    Also first light and last light procedures, for ensuring it will start up properly in the mornings, and track back eastward, after the day is done...

Smoothing out the tracking in cloudy situations is still the biggest hurdle though... so many variables...
    I see you are actually tracking the sun with a sensor. To stop that jumping around and following a hole in the clouds try this - work out the angular velocity of the sun relative to your position. Then set you controller to have a max velocity equal to that with a small safety margin to play catch up if needed.

IMHO The best way to do sun tracking is to use a mathematical algorithm that predicts where the sun is at any given time. One of my system you enter your LAT and LONG, Date and Time, and the array slews immediately to face the sun exactly. I designed and commissioned the system (its in Malaysia) and I am still responsible for it. Unfortunately I didn't write the code, but the algorithm is well documented on the internet. This way you can also track (excuse the pun) errors and set of an alarm if you have a hardware or software glitch.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

What I ended up doing was measure ambient light levels with the sensor, By doing that I can know when it's not in direct sunlight, IE. a cloud is in the way, I then switch to a timed base forwarding. Once the cloud is out of the way, light levels will pick up and the sensor tracking takes over again...If the whole day is cloudy, it will basically just sweep across at a set speed...

Problem with the LAT/LONG way of doing it, I do not have any positional feedback from the chinesium actuator, so no way to know where in the stroke it is at any point in time other than at the 2 bump-stops, ether side...

Twas a beautiful day today.
    some minor tweaking, but it's practically done now...

Hmmm. Doesn't have to be expensive.

I have a stand alone system with generator backup.

12 x 270W panels.
    200A battery bank.
    48V
    4Kw Axpert inverter. Plus one spare in the cupboard. Just in case. Still worked out cheaper than one supposedly higher quality inverter. Time will tell.
    Total cost R70 000. (Including the spare inverter. You can buy three for the price of one. And it includes the regulator, which saves you another 10k)
    Quotes from reputable solar companies ranging from R150k to R175k
    Installed it myself manalleen in two days, thereby saving the R24k installation fee. Mounting unistrut, installing panels on roof, running trunking for cables, mounting boxes, etc.

I run everything from it. Geyser, powertools, pump that runs most of the day. Washing machine, fridges, aircon even, on hot days.
    Geyser gets switched on manually at about 11:00. 200L with 2000W element, runs for about two hours and switches off by itself. Next morning the water is still hot enough to do dishes. Geyser is indoors, not in the roof. Maybe that is why it stays hot longer.

I did not go the solar route for the geyser, because in my opinion panels are so cheap nowadays that you can boil it with your inverter. If there is no sun for panels, there will be no sun for solar geysers either.

With full sun at 12:00 the panels deliver 3kw. The other day with clouds and drizzle it still gave 500W.

At night I have two fridges and lights running. In the morning before sunrise the battery volts is 49,5V

I have a gas geyser but so far I have not had to use it.

I cook with gas.

The generator I start once a month just to circulate some oil through it..

The system has been running for two months now, without any problems.

I still want to add another 200A battery bank. Then it will be perfect.

The house had Eskom power but I did not have it connected when I moved in. Incomer is disconnected. It will stay that way.

The golden rule with solar: Do what you want to do during the day. Charge everything. Pump. Sew. Grind.You have the kilowatts that will go nowhere if you don't use it.Potentially my system can generate 20Kw in a day. I'd be surprised if I use 10.

Stop at around 15:00 to give your batteries time to fill up so they can carry you through the night.

I have been living off-grid for 20 years. This is my fourth system. Twenty years ago you had to look for everything. Buy something here, something else there.

Ten years ago I paid four times more for a system half the size of this one.

So it is cheap now. And readily available. I bought everything from one supplier.

It is the way to go.

Nothing beats sitting on your stoep basking in light, watching the flickering light of candles all around you....

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seebrommer For This Useful Post:

I agree in full with you. Can be done if you pit your mind to it.

Pryse gekry,
    Victron MultiPlus 5kva, controller,battery monitor, kabels,9x330w sonpanele, ibr roof mountings, 5 string combiner box, pv lighting arrestor. Met vat R79500 sonder batterye. N battery werk so R2300 elk uit.

"12 x 270W panels.
    200A battery bank.
    48V
    4Kw Axpert inverter. "

OK so this looks like a decent price:

https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/...o=1&rc=default

R6.71 per watt?

2.65kW for R18k

did you use deep cycle batteries, 12v and maybe 100Ah?

so 4 x battery?
    https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/...o=0&rc=rgroup1
    R2k each = R8k

The Axpert inverter is about R10k

https://www.inverter-warehouse.co.za...=5189341839397

MPPT controllers are around R6k:

https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/...=1&rc=default#

Am I on the right track?
    Last edited by jelo; 2018/02/11 at 01:52 PM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Yes.

The Axpert has a built-in MPPT controller. Can handle 60A. So for R10k you get an inverter and controller.

I have done some searching, as Axpert as a brand is new to me. I could not find any complaints worldwide. I bought two, just in case. One is in storage. I would have forked out three times that for a "better" one, anyway. And still have had to buy a regulator.

Panels, I went for 12 x 270w, as you get closer to the 60A of the regulator, than 9 x 330W. Cost me 2K more.

Batteries, I bought 8x105A leisure batteries. Nothing wrong with them. On my previous system I got 8 years out of 8 Deltecs. As long as you don't drain them too deep, and your system has them full again early in the morning.

So, panels and strut and trunking and cable and breakers, all the bits and pieces, R33k
    Batteries 16K
    Inverter 10K (+ one spare)

So. You can actually do it for R60k. If you don't buy the spare inverter.

Works like a charm. Inverter response is fast enough so the fridges didn't even know they were not on generator anymore.

Very important to shop around. It can save you a packet.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Seebrommer For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast