Battery explosion

Default Battery explosion

I have recently had a new experience - a Calcium battery exploding due to pressure build up. This occurred in the secondary deep cycle battery fitted in my Pajero, new (the battery) in november 2014 and failed in september 2017. When it happened we heard a loud explosion outside our house but could not locate its origin - sounded rather like a tyre bursting. Only weeks later when I opened the bonnet did I see the shattered battery, by that time all liquid had evaporated, no sign of scorching etc. therefore not a hydrogen explosion. In this interval the car ran quite normally, obviously I had no reason to use the power plugs.
    Has anyone experienced a similar happening? What might have caused it? Overcharging? This was a low maintenance battery and the car was seldom used at the time.

Default Re: Battery explosion

I am curious.
    Did the acid cause any damage to the internal housing space or in the engine bay?
    Any signs of corrosion?

Nothing obvious - only a steel bar that clamped the battery down rusty, but I think it was before anyway.

I have seen it a number of times on generators. It can happen when the battery charger is faulty and over charges, or from being on charge for a very long time the acid level drops. The battery starts to gas and some of the gasses escape from the battery through the vent. Now only the bottom half of the plates are in acid and the top half is filled with gas. As soon as a load is applied the plates buckle and touch each other and make a spark and BOOM.

The picture of the battery below exploded when I pushed the start button on the gen, I was on the left of the generator and the battery on the right hand side, it was so loud the client came out of the restaurant to see what it was. My technician was standing right next to the battery and was covered with acid.

The battery is supposed to be maintenance free, but it still has filler plugs. True maintenance free batteries have no filler plugs as the top of the battery (internally) has loads of little channels, when the battery gasses condensation takes place and the acid drips back into the battery.

Name:  11988482_10153155077556109_8567845238810983395_n.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  165.2 KB

If you can still open your battery make sure the cells are flooded at all times.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Geiler Keiler For This Useful Post:

I have also had a battery explode on me while starting a generator. Itís loud, really loud and acid everywhere. Not a pleasant experience. The above explanation makes sense. Have always wondered how that happened...
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

2009 Hilux 3.0D4D D/C 4X4, Dual battery, ARB Bar, Winch, Home made rock-sliders, EFS Suspension, IPF Spots, Stofpad rear bumper.