Dont complain about Business, Mr Caravan Dealer........!!!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Dont complain about Business, Mr Caravan Dealer........!!!

Would like to share something here, and actually I think all business owners should maybe take note.

Was in GP for business, attended an auction last night, and decided to not come back late at night and stayed over in Midrand. Long story short - I did'nt plan to stay over, so I bought a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, and basically had to wear my clothes of yesterday today also. Ek het my onnie maar sunny side in gedra vandag

Anyway.

On my way back I stopped at a very well branded caravan dealer in East Rand. No I wont mention names, thats not what this thread is about.

Wanted to get some caravan stuff, chairs etc etc, and sommer kick tyres, have a look at the vans.

Walked in there, maybe looking a bit off with my wrinkled shirt and kortbroek. Guy on the phone, looks like the owner, ###king out some supplier about an agreed price and eye-balling me with suspicion, obviously wondering what I'm gonna beg steal or borrow.
    Tunes some supplier " yes but you know, customers always want everything for free, we have a huge sale on now and they still think it's too expensive"........yaddda yadda yadda. Maybe if you get of your arse and stop wondering if that guy with the kortbroek can actually buy a chair it will get better, asshole.
    I'm looking at chairs. Tannie at the counter shouts from there " Meneer moet asb nie met stowwerige skoene op die stretchers gaan le of op die stoele sit ne.
    Phuck me........I'm not buying chairs to stand on, I'm sitting on them.
    No Sale.
    And honestly I dont want their stretchers, already ordered a couple from Carma Quip.
    No Sale.
    Looking at rechargeable lights. Tannie shouts " Meneer daai ligte is duur, die ander met die stickers op is op special maar hulle charge nie".
    Jeez. This TANNIE is busy recharging me now.
    No Sale.
    Oh yes, Mr Owner has stopped his charade over the phone, he's just eyeballing me now, watching my every move like a hawk. I feel to damn embarrassed to ask him if they have a travel blanket for the Fleetlinetjie in stock.
    No Sale.
    Steps outside, to have a look at a Explorer and SW Tourer there. Tannie tunes me " Meneer trap asb op die kartonnetjies as jy inklim die karavane is nou net skoon gemaak. As jy van iets hou roep my dan gee ek jou die prys".
    No doubt she'll be shouting the Price at me, so rather not.
    I want to turn around and tell both the Tannie and Mr Owner their fortune, but decide rather not. Not worth it.

And off I go..............to Kempton Caravans, where I get everything I needed, AND more, actually spending WAY more than I should have. What a pleasure. The guy helps me with the stuff to my bakkie, chats and all smiles. Te lekker.

With a huge grin on my face.

Tannie, jy sal moet ophou skree, dan sal jy dalk meer kliente as net ek in jou camping shop kry.

En Mr Owner, in short, druk daai chairs en al die ander goed dwars in jou gat in op. Sommer die Explorer ook, as daar plek is.
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2017/10/12 at 04:51 PM.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Default Re: Dont complain about Business, Mr Caravan Dealer........!!!

.........the purpose of this thread is NOT to name and shame. Nothing to be gained by that.

But yes.......again, I have learned something today, and it's applicable to me too.

If you dont feel like getting up and helping that client who does you one HELL of a favour to walk into your business...........rather stay home. You're doing less damage that way.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Jy skryf so mooi.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Petri jy kan bly wees .... dit kon erger gewees het.

Stap by ORMS in ... PUIK diens, en ek blaas alweer BAIE meer as wat ek moes ....

O-ja, juis net-nou n koppie-liggie gekoop by n bekende kamp-winkel .... boggerol diens !! Wel hy het darem ges: "Daai een is duur, die een is ons brand ..."

YES, some people really should NOT deal with clients !!

I also easily spend more when the sales person is friendly and helping.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sed For This Useful Post:

I have the same problem, not sure if my kortbroek seems to indicate that I cannot pay or am just there to steal something.

Car dealers love to ignore me, but when I do get attention I ask them "How's business?" Answer is always how they are battling. I tell them I can see that, and they will continue to battle if they ignore cash customers. Attitude sometimes changes more often than not they get hard arse. I then walk out telling them I am going to the opposition.

Years ago I was shopping for a for my FIL, went to one dealer, no names, and was ignored. I eventually asked a guy to help me, but could see he was not interested. Left my name and number and left. We bought from the opposition. after picking up the car I said to FIL lets go back to the first dealer. Parked outside and went in. found the sales man from a few days ago, asked if he remembered me, of course he did not even reminded him of my name. Then he did. I took him outside and showed him the car, told him it was a cash purchase. Told him his disinterested attitude lost him a sale. We then left.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Nissan Micra SWAMBO's "Mushroom"

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

It reminds me of the car sales story, when the big garages still had their main garages in West St, Dbn.

A guy from north of the Tugela river walks in to one of the dealerships (forget if it was Merc or BMW) and looks lt one of the top models. The salesman gives him the selling price to start off with as this dude is obviously in no position to afford such a car. As the guy persists, he was allowed to sit in the car. But he eventually buggers off, much to the relief of the salesman.

Shortly after, he gets a phone call from his mate who works for the other dealership (Merc or BMW), and says you will not believe what happened. "A guy walks in enquiring about our top model, and I humoured him and did the whole sales talk with test drive. He placed an order for 15 cars!" Turns out he was the buyer for the local political party up north. Salesman #1 lost megabucks in potential commissions, not to mention the total package cost to the dealer.
    '16 Iveco Daily 4x4 "Molly"
    '06 D3 V8 "Handsome"
    Ex '76 101FC "Hermit"
    Ex '88 110 tdi "Intethe"

Ex '96 D1 tdi "Pelepele"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Reading my OP above, and thinking about this again.......it's actually unbelievable. Like in funny.

And with all due respect - that dealer can put specials all over the place, he wo'nt be seeing me again. Really.

I do know however where I'll go shop again - Kempton Caravans.

I spent maybe R 6000 today. Multiply that by 24 work days = R 144 000 pr month.

Multuply that, conservatively, by say 10 guys in kortbroeke = R 1 440 000 Sales per month. And thats just from the Kortbroek Buyers.

Lets make just 20% GP............R 360 000 per month. Nie sleg nie. Vir daai geld kan 'n ou in sy onnerbroek ook by my instap.
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2017/10/12 at 05:28 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

33 years ago I walked into a Rolls Royce dealer in PE and inquired about the fuel consumption of the Rolls. Salesman told me that the type of guy that buys a Rolls don't care about fuel consumption. That day I swore that I will never buy a Rolls Royce as long as I live.
    1993 Samurai. 2004 Jeep TJ Sport. V8 Lexus VVTi.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris Stoffel For This Useful Post:

Are you saying that if you wear long pants even axxholes will serve you or that you should have packed long pants for in case.

Way back when people still got company cars............

I was promoted and qualified for a company car, ceiling price say R43k. (I DID say this was long ago........)

Armed with the company letterheaded authorisation I stroll into Mazda to eyeball their 2.0L 323. No reaction from sales.

I walk into Ford to eyeball their Sierra, I think. Same lack of reaction.

I walk into VW .........................and signed for a red Jetta 2 CSX the same day.

Salesperson's attitude, pure and simple. The sale included aircon, luxury mat set, and a tow-bar, all of which should have pushed the sale well over the R43k limit.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

Petri I agree and also support a good attitude.

At the Getaway(i think it was) show at the Dome I experienced some people with the same type of attitudes.
    Some of the disinterest and lack of knowledge was amazing. Might have been the shorts, slops, and landy tee shirt though (not enough money after repairs)

Was looking at getting a second fridge/freezer bigger than my current one, and to see what is new on the market.
    Thankfully I got the items I wanted and SWMBO also got some stuff we did not want/need

I was also surprised at how many "specials" were not so special as they were cheaper in the shops at normal prices.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabbiddog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Just a pity the interesting part of the dialogue in in TAAL, it might have been a funny read

I am to lazy to do the Google translate, so be it ...

Now let me just wonder:

The story is in the Queens language, obviously geared towards some folks mastering that language up to a certain extent, the interesting part is exclusively for a (smaller) group also mastering the TAAL ... just thinking - purpose or so - not sure.

Einen schoenen Abend noch.

Salutations a tous le monde.
    Don't think the op was making any insider comments when using a little afrikaans, some things are better conveyed using the afrikaans words/phrases, this is South Africa mate, 11 official languages...

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

My FIL and brother walked into the Mercedes dealership in Empangeni to look at purchasing a new car. (some time ago)

The dealership was undergoing some renovations and it being hot and being from the farm, they were in 'kort broeke'.

The first question they were asked....'are you from the painters...?'

Needless to say they bought a Merc somewhere else.

Petri....dit was daai kortbroek

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabbiddog View Post
    ..... and lack of knowledge was amazing. ......
    Yesterday at engineering supply shop....

I need a Aluminium cutting blade for cut off saw, 250mm diam.

Sales person goes to hand steel saw blades to look for Alu blade

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    My FIL and brother walked into the Mercedes dealership in Empangeni to look at purchasing a new car. (some time ago)

The dealership was undergoing some renovations and it being hot and being from the farm, they were in 'kort broeke'.

The first question they were asked....'are you from the painters...?'

Needless to say they bought a Merc somewhere else.

Petri....dit was daai kortbroek
    Twee van my Mitsus by hulle gekoop en vir DRIE maande probeer 'n tweede handse Pajero toe koop, dit is mos my lokale handelaar en mens wil ondersteun sovr jy kan. Ek dink dit was die derde keer wat ek dieselfde verkoopsman gaan sien en vir die hoeveelste keer vertel word ek moet eintlik maar net 'n nuwe een koop want die wat ek soek is soos goue hoendertande wat net met groot laaigrawe in 'n onherbergsame area in die hoogste berge van Tibet uitgegrawe word dat ek na die verkoopsbestuurder toe is. Dit terwyl daar op Autotrader handelaars reg oor die land wat wel 'n paar het, nie baie nie maar dit het net bietjie soek gekos.

Ek vertel toe wat ek soek, s ook pertinent dat ek my eerste twee Mitsus by hulle gekoop het bla bla en die man s dis reg, hy sal my bel. Ek stap uit en wonder hoe, want hy weet nie wat is my naam of my nommer gevra.

Ek kry op Autotrader toe een in Ermelo by DeWit Motors, puik diens, word teruggebel kort kort ens. Koop die kar sonder om hom eers te sien en daai girltjie verkoopsdame het 400km gery die Vrydag aand om hom vir my te bring en 400km terug huis toe met 'n leen kar.

Raai waar koop ek my volgende Mitsubishi. As dit nie by Petri gaan wees nie.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Just a pity the interesting part of the dialogue in in TAAL, it might have been a funny read

Now let me just wonder:

The story is in the Queens language, obviously geared towards some folks mastering that language up to a certain extent, the interesting part is exclusively for a (smaller) group also mastering the TAAL ... just thinking - purpose or so - not sure.

Would be very interesting to see how Google translate the MOOD ...

The "uncle" was not bother, and just eyeballed him ...

The "aunt" kept on shouting from a distance .... and also told him that he should have cleaned his shoes before entering their pristene little bit of heaven ....

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisF For This Useful Post:

Now let me just wonder:

Toemaar, hy het nie van jou geskinner nie

My wife now drives a nearly new Qashqai (when we bought it it had 2700km on the clock).

I had NEVER considered a Nissan for her.

The reason.... we were trading in a Fiesta so naturally we were looking to "upgrade" to an Ecosport. Went to the local Ford Fury on Witkoppen near the Douglasdale police station and were not served at all, for about 10min (on a Sat morning). The lady who processes the financial deals eventually helped us but when she tried to summon a sales person, none were interested.

We left and on the way home just decided to go look at Mark White Nissan for the hell of it.

We signed 3 days later for a Qashqai priced at about R35k more than we had budgeted. We haven't looked back, the salesman was excellent and we couldn't say no.

Sorry Ford.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB
    2008 Pajero Gen4 3.2DiD LWB - SOLD
    2016 Nissan Qashqai 1.2T Acenta
    Metalian Maxi

4x4AG 0110

32. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Default Dont complain about Business, Mr Caravan Dealer........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    .........the purpose of this thread is NOT to name and shame. Nothing to be gained by that.

But yes.......again, I have learned something today, and it's applicable to me too.

If you dont feel like getting up and helping that client who does you one HELL of a favour to walk into your business...........rather stay home. You're doing less damage that way.
    Still think you should name and shame as were all in the same boat...you mentioned the good guys by name why not the plonkers...
    It would save us all from finding out the hard way!
    Last edited by Finn McCool; 2017/10/12 at 06:57 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast