East African Odyssey. Road trip NBO through Tanzania and back to Uganda. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: East African Odyssey. Road trip NBO through Tanzania and back to Uganda.

The next section was one that gave rise to the original query as to the current condition.
    TARANGIRE to IRINGA. A104.

Well the God's must have smiled or Tanzania Highways pulled out the stops as this road was fully open and newly tarred the whole way down to Iringa. Some of the upland stages were very beautiful as the new road curved and twisted through mountain forests much like parts of Europe. Further south we were impressed by the huge stands of Baobabs between Dodoma and Iringa.
    But best of all traffic was light and there were not many villages to impede our progress so we made good time and even after stopping for lunch, and a bit of impromptu birding we got to Iringa around 17.00 having left Tarangire Roika Camp at 7.30. So 600 km in 9 1/2 hours puts our average up to just over 60km. We need not have fretted so much over choosing this route.
    From Iringa to our destination at Tandala Camp was dirt but in good condition and taking the 'village' route to the left was easy enough. The northern (right turn) route shown on Traks is about the same but very remote.
    The numerous 'warnings' on the southern village route may have been true once but no longer apply.

So all in all this was a good days run for us and anyone wondering about the A104 can be assured that it is now one of the better North-South highways. 689km door to door was our best and longest drive of the trip.
    I have split the map into before Lunch and after. After is at a larger scale to show track from Iringa to Tandala.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roika to lunch..JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	464267
    Roika to lunch stop. 481km

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After lunch. 18th Sept..JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	464265After lunch stop to Tandala. 208km.
    Albert

Progress might have been alright once, but it has gone on too long.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Ross For This Useful Post:

Default Re: East African Odyssey. Road trip NBO through Tanzania and back to Uganda.

Thank you, Albert, for this excellent third installment. That is good news that the Tarangire to Iringa road is now finished, and that it is now possible to drive to the Ruaha in a long day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Glad to help. It is certainly a very scenic road in parts and I do recommend it to other members. Whether it lasts is another question as my next post will show.
    Albert

From Ruaha (Tandala camp) to Kitulo (God's Garden.)
    This was to have been relatively straightforward but we must always expect the unexpected when travelling in Africa.
    We decided, on advice, to head straight south for the tarred TanZam highway. Tis was around 90km and progress was very good and even after stopping for some impromptu birding (doesn't everyone?) we gained the tar in just over three hours. Turning west to stop in a small village where there as a shop and a clean looking refuelling stop. We ate our packed lunch in a small cafe outside the shop with the lady's consent and bought a case of drinking water as stocks were running low.
    Then we hit trouble with road works one after the other and where no roadworks we found Police waiting to pounce. We got a fine for TZ30K from a really officious young woman for not stopping at a 'stop' sign by a Zebra.The stop was painted on the road and was badly worn and virtually unreadable. But we paid and got a receipt. On resuming we discovered that our new water supply looked contaminated with suspended solids despite all the seals being intact. No point in turning back so we progressed through more works and more police points. We stopped at every bloody Zebra even though there was nobody close enough to use it.
    And we were STILL waved down. One stop was more fun as the driver of another car really took the police on and argued. He got a real tongue lashing for his trouble. Another highlight was a further stop by a smart policeman who had seen nothing wrong but felt like he wanted to inspect our papers. He was a bit tetchy to find them in order and asked if we could give him some water. To his delight we gave him not one bottle but four. I hope he enjoyed them as much as we enjoyed giving them to him.
    Eventually we arrived at Chimala and turned off to ascend via the Hamsini na Saba pass to the Kitulo plateau. The road was not in a particularly good state, narrow with soft verges particularly around the many hairpins. 57 for non swahili speakers.
    Now we were pushing sunset and had nowhere to sleep.
    We had been told that my chosen and known lodging "God's Garden Guest House" had been closed for some time but after getting nowhere with a satisfactory alternate I gave up leaving this to others and got out of the car and walked the short distance to where I remembered Gods Garden was located. It was open and I had three rooms booked before my car caught up with me. TZ15K per room per night. Food was a problem but we hired in a cook.
    Still we had a bed and after 10 hours on the road to cover only 320km we would have slept on a coathanger.
    (looks very much like the Forums upload issues are not yet resolved. Map to follow)
    Last edited by Albert Ross; 11 Hours Ago at 11:38 PM. Reason: Addition of map.
    Albert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2