Prado’s cargo bay AC220V/100W 2 pin plug point

Default Prado’s cargo bay AC220V/100W 2 pin plug point

Has anyone tried this, or thought of trying it - I have and will provide feedback...

My 2017 Prado has a 2 pin port in the cargo bay - I’ve purchased a SnoMaster 42 fridge which I’ve hooked up to a deep cycle car battery which is hooked up to a CTEK MXS 3.8 battery charger which, in turn, is plugged into the 2 pin plug point...

I’m hoping that the Prado plug point charges the car battery faster than the SnoMaster depletes it over long days of driving...
    During long parked (non-driving) periods, I plan to charge the battery with a 158W Kalahari solar kit from FlexoPower...

I’ll test it all on a trip up to Kruger/Pafuri next week in preparation for a Zambia Liuwa Plains trip Nov/Dec...

Default Re: Prado’s cargo bay AC220V/100W 2 pin plug point

3,8 Amps will take a very long time to charge a battery that was discharge over night by a fridge.
    Johan Kriel

LC's; PU, and Prado

I am confused.

Sorry edit. Just confused.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 1 Week Ago at 02:10 PM.
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

lekhubu943, If your Prado have a live 220 volt outlet in its cargo bay I am sure it is intended to charge camera batteries and cell phones which is not impossible if through an inverter, but not very practical to convert 12 volts up to 220 and then again down to 12 volts through a CTEK to charge a deep cycle battery with. According to the manual published on the Internet the CTEK 3.8 is not a 12v dc to 12v dc charger, but requires 220 volts to charge a battery. (I am assuming you refer to the CTEK 3.8 discussed on the web).

According to its manual the CTEK 3,8 delivers 3.8 amps, and it states that it will take 20 hours to charge a depleted 80 ah battery to 80% DOC.

Assuming this CTEK is connected to 220 volts and the battery and fridge connected to the CTEK, then, If your fridge calls for say 3.5 amps, then whist the compressor is running only 0.3 amps will be available to charge the battery. In this application it looks as if that CTEK is the ideal gift you give to a person you want to frustrate and punish - especially in the bundu.
    Last edited by Poen; 1 Week Ago at 04:28 PM.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Edit: sorry Poen I re-read your post again this morning and I understand what you are saying.

I agree especially with this part of your post and that is what confused me wrt to the OP's set up: "If your Prado have a live 220 volt outlet in its cargo bay I am sure it is intended to charge camera batteries and cell phones which is not impossible if through an inverter, but not very practical to convert 12 volts up to 220 and then again down to 12 volts through a CTEK to charge a deep cycle battery with."

I also understood that the plug in the back of the Prado is in fact 220V. So converting 12V to 220V and back to 12 V (as you point out) seems to me a bit out of a round about way to achieve what the normal dual battery system like ours does. We have a deep cycle and a C-tek Dual under the bonnet with a Brad Harrison in the back from which our NL runs. This system has been tested thoroughly over the past 6 years.

BTW, that 220 V plug in the back is as dead as a door nail unless the ignition is on. And there is definitely an inverter in there somewhere.

But each to his own, we all camp differently.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 1 Week Ago at 07:44 AM.
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Thanks everyone for chiming in...

I'm hoping that, if I leave home with a fully charged deep cycle battery and the fridge is pulling 3.5 amps, the battery will remain fully charged over a 8 or 9 hour drive since the charger is pushing 3.8 amps...

I've tested the the fridge running at -22degC pulling off the fully charged deep cycle battery and it took 3 days to run the battery flat.

I know hope is the last thing one should rely on, but never the less, I'M HOPING that the following combination keeps the meat cold in the SnoMaster 42 plugged permanently into the deep cycle battery:
    1) leaving home with a fully charged deep cycle battery
    2) full day driving (8 or 9 hours) gets a charge through to the battery
    3) 158W solar panels continue the charging when the vehicle is parked in the day
    4) the combination of 1-3 keep the battery (and the fridge) going overnight

During the Joburg-Pafuri test run (departing Friday 20th), the test will be to see if the fully charged battery can run the fridge at 5 degC and get topped up by the Prado's plug-point...
    Last edited by RichM; 1 Week Ago at 09:45 AM. Reason: Text did not flow/break as I’d typed it...

Can I suggest that you transfer the fridge to run off 12v directly whilst driving? That way you get full charge back into aux battery?

Quote Originally Posted by gmmcdonald View Post
    Can I suggest that you transfer the fridge to run off 12v directly whilst driving? That way you get full charge back into aux battery?
    Thank you @gmmcdonald... will give that a bash for sure...