Recovery while offroading --would you ask a fee ? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Recovery while offroading --would you ask a fee ?

It would spoil my day if I left someone stranded without offering to help. That is not to say that I would hesitate to point out the error in the ways afterwards.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

I feel everyone, to a degree, has a valid point. It's always good to hear different opinions. I hope the right person comes by, when I am stuck and had a beer or two and did a stupid thing, without placing anyones life in danger. I feel that if someone was stuck and I just happened to come across them, I would not hesitate to help them, with my kit and I would not expect any payment. I have never put myself or my vehicle in a situation where I could get stuck on my own, excepting on our own farm. Whenever I go 4x4ing, it is always in a group of at least two vehicles, just for in-case. Even with the best vehicle or ability, you can get stuck. I have been pulled out a few times, by friends on 4x4 fun days and have pulled out more than I can remember, for free. If I had to phone a stranger or recovery guy, that I don't know, I would expect to pay for the service and hope it is for reasonable price (how long is a string). If a mate phoned me to help, no matter how far or how serious, I would help without thinking twice, after all, this is what friends do, no one else has my no to ask me for help. If someone was stuck and I knew they charged someone else to help, previously, well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there and all the tourists would have to get off first. If he had Chinese tourists, I would probably not help . I would def offer someone an ice cold beer or a hand full of biltong or at least a solid handshake and proper thank you.
    Last edited by Aquality; 2017/10/09 at 11:20 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquality For This Useful Post:

I pulled out a vehicle with an intoxicated driver once but would not tow them into town about 20 km's away. They were towed by another vehicle and hit the back of this vehicle 5 times during the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
    Talked to one of the guides and this is his reasoning:
    His company asked 1000 pp for a day trip. He gets 500 AND have to use his own vehicle and cover his own costs ,fuel and services/breakages etc.
    The max amount of peple he can take in his car ,patrol, is seven so an extra 5000 recovery fee is more the 100% of his daily income.

So his reasoning makes sense . For me having fun it can have a financial benefit but then its kinda not having fun anymore..... its work...
    In the wilds of Africa there are many people who make a living from guiding, vehicle recovery, vehicle repair and sometimes even towing drivers with broken down vehicles to the nearest repair facility. These people give me a feeling of great comfort and they are all experts - I am not.
    It is only fair to pay the requested fee as this is how they make a living.
    It is an entirely different matter when a fellow camper who is not making a living from guiding/recoveries and who stop and assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    As Henris said, if I am driving past it's all "part of the game" The last bit of the sentence say's it all though...
    If I need to go out specially for a stranger, well sorry boet, you are at least going to cover my expenses plus some .. If you are a friend, I will drive to the end of the earth to help you out, easy

An example, I get a phone call from Eagles Falls 4x4 route owner. Ther is a Grand Cherokee stuck can I possibly help. Yes, I drive a 220Km (round trip) to help this person out. When I arrived he looked at the Patrol and said to me ..." you are going to pull my Jeep out with THAT" ... I smiled, pulled him out and did not even get a thank you, zip. Not again, lesson learnt
    WHAT!!!! Foul person! We recently pulled a hired Toyota Hilux out of a river in the Khwai Community area. ( In our Defender, just so that you know &#128515The vehicle wouldn’t start, so we towed them to Khwai gate where they could phone for help. It would never have crossed our minds to charge them. They were very, very grateful
    Haraka haraka haina baraka - much haste carries no blessing (Swahili proverb)

Mention a 4x2 will come recovery you and miraculously the 4x4 becomes unstuck...sheez I have no fun😂 .

But in general I always say help a fellow in need and you will be rewarded later on
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
    This is currently what the tour guides and operators do in swakop and walvis.....

If they find someone stuck in the dunes or on the beach they ask up to 5000 bucks to help recover you.

What would you do if you find someone stuck ? Ask them a fee ?

Me,myself and I either help without asking a fee (if the person made an honest mistake or just take pics and leave them there depending on the person's attitude and state of intoxication.

Your opinion ?
    Back in 1988 we came across a German couple in a rented Landrover, stuck in the sand in a very remote part of Moremi. They told me they were getting stuck repeatedly despite using 4WD almost continuously and they obviously had no 4x4 experience. After having a bit of fun with the snatch strap and getting them back on the straight and narrow, I showed them how to engage the front hubs!!! I also deflated their tyrers some. I expect the rest of their 1st “African Safari” was more enjoyable.
    My reward for the recovery - watching the guy’s face in my rear view mirror as I took off at speed in the sand and he watched the snatch strap tightening.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    Sjo, a bit rough hey. Well, firstly, I would not attempt to recover someone, as I do not even know where to begin. I have really only done some very minor 4X4 ing, and that was with someone who knew what they were doing, and could recover me.

However, if I had all the correct gear, and knew how to do it safe, I would gladly assist someone, for free, if I encountered them and they were stuck. Even if someone phoned for help, if it wasn't really far away I would still do it for free, because, I believe in you reap what you sow. People on this forum has helped me out free of charge before, and maybe it will happen in future again, so I will do the same from my side where and when I can.
    Ek stem ,as ek na by jou is gaan ek jou help ,sonder enige kostes , sou ek iets op my bakkie breuk ,kan ek daarmee lewe. In elk geval "no good dead ever goes unpunished

Mooi aand

I once made a very very good friend in Hwange by helping recover a ranger who got stuck after dark, in an open vehicle, at night, with the lions roaring all around him...........the thanks and the directions I got for the next week to all the best sightings was payment enough. I think I'll keep doing it like that!

A few years ago I got stuck on the soutpanne near Strandfontein.... (I was new to the area and didn't know it was a No no)
    Anyhow I was on the chessis in the mud and it took two bakkies in tandem to get me out.. The guys didn't want any compensation but a friend suggested that I replace their snatch rope. I payed the R600 with a smile.
    gerief en krag bo brandstofgebruik
    2007 Nissan Navara 4.0 l 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    My advice is free of charge, but i never risk my vehicle in assisting with recovery.
    And when stupidity, liquor etc is involved, i walk away
    Agreed +1

Having read the original post again I would probably agree with the chaps charging a fee under those circumstances, if I had to put myself in their shoes.

Let's just for fun sketch a hypothetical scenario: In the relative vicinity of where you live, work, your kids go to school you have an area where you can leave the tar and as a 4x4 owner do your thing, which might be going for a Sunday drive, having a braai with the family on a public holiday/ Saturday or go fishing with mates/ test low range third gear etc.

So on the way there or on the way back you see people stuck in their 4x4. They run into the road with beer bottles or Coke mixes in hand wanting you to help them get out of their predicament, when you tell them in a kind voice that you unfortunately can't help due to not carrying tow/ snatch ropes when taking a quick drive, you then get called names and get threatened with violence, nevermind your three kids or just wife/ girlfriend in the car. This happens usually during school holidays when you are perhaps still at or have to work. And this happens three times every afternoon you go to this area.

Are you also not going to get gatvol of this as the people who charge for their service in the OP's post obviously are?
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2017/10/10 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Spacing

Quote Originally Posted by tocin View Post
    A few years ago I got stuck on the soutpanne near Strandfontein.... (I was new to the area and didn't know it was a No no)
    Anyhow I was on the chessis in the mud and it took two bakkies in tandem to get me out.. The guys didn't want any compensation but a friend suggested that I replace their snatch rope. I payed the R600 with a smile.
    Good, I agree, the minimum should be for the stuck vehicle to offer the recovery gear.
    Nissan Patrol 4800
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8 Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

All I can say is that if guys are charging for their services then they should also be accountable in the instance something goes wrong. If you are charged then there is an expectation of them knowing what they are doing.

We did a total of five recoveries at our little GTG at Clarens and each one was slightly different and different techniques and kit was used. We had a 2x4 with us and he was snatched once towed once and did a snatch himself. We all learned something and the confidence for recoveries went up by a mile.

I agree with the guys that state the level of expectation and alcohol would be a deciding factor, gone are the days when I would be first to jump in and help.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

When everybody is having fun and all is equal help as much as you can.

There is places and situations where the scales are tipped in favor of you helping much more than what you will be helped.

Lodge owners, guides or farmers in difficult terrain. There is surely a place for a fair business opportunity to help the stuck.

The same as doctors lawyers hospitals ambulance etc.

Rescue becomes their lively hood and it is fair.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4