Hilux black first impressions - Amarok owner

Default Hilux black first impressions - Amarok owner

Been driving past our local dealer and kept on seeing this nice hilux 2.8 4x4 black edition with black mags, dark grey in colour, just looks mean, so i decided to test drive it - here are my impressions coming from having two Amarok's both biturbo, my current is the 4x2 auto.

Hilux 2017:

Steering:

Incredibly light steering, compared to amarok, and i really like it, others might now but i do especially as the amarok is a large behemoth, parking, malls etc...cant do without my pdc front and rear, camera as well. I am sure the hiluxes steering gets stiffer as you drive faster, but what i felt initially i liked.

Cabin:

Seats have way more support, leather stitching looks better made, more support, electrical adjustable, looks like they will last longer than the amaroks for some weird reason.

Dash, cluster, centre consol - i actually really like it, the amarok's seems 'mature' or 'less is more' but being my second amarok, and looking at the new facelift, all vw basically did was change the air vents, small changes to centre consol, main cluster, look, nothing wrong at all, its almost like an Audi dash, well made, neat, nothing flashy. But the hilux, its flashy, and i like that for a change, that large tablet screen looks awesome compared to my retro fit caska which you cant see anything in direct sunlight, it just feels a tad more modern and up to date.

Rear space:

It is less than the amarok but how often are adults sitting at the back, with me, almost never, fine for kids.

Engine:

This 2.8 auto surprised me big time, it is a totally different ride than the rok. You just touch the load pedal and there is an instant force of power, i really like that, how a bakkie should be, as if there is immediate torque from the start. What sometimes frustrates me with the amarok is that you sometimes have to ring its neck to get it to really move, like driving an old 16v conquest, the amarok's gearbox is better yes, but in different situations and applications. The toyota's gear changes are smooth, it seems to stay in a gear longer before changing up, thats what the amarok does allot, you could be driving at 60km/hour and then floor it, it gears down from 7th to 3rd gear... almost, well thats how it feels, then its revving like crazy - long and the short, i prefer the instant power, PS, in a drag race, the amarok will beat it, it still has that extra power, but normal city driving the hilux for me seems dam good.

Ride:

One thing you notice from the get go is how firm the hilux is, and again, its just my opinion and my preference, i actually prefer the harder ride, it almost feels as if you have more feedback from the vehicle. I noticed when i gave it some stick round the round about that the right rear span haha, it seems the suspension is so stiff it does than with ease, or it just has that low down torque doing this.

Styling:

It does not look like the overbite dog anymore, so weird how you get used to it, compared to the new amarok, i think vw could have done a bit more on the exterior, front and back, just to really give it an update.

Conclusion:

I am very impressed, yes, the new amarok v6 is in another category, that engine is a monster, but look at the price now, another increase 2 weeks ago....The hilux seems to me as if the power is there from the start where the amarok feels as if you need to wait a bit longer.

I am not in the market for a new cab, mine only has 42 000kms on the clock, is 2 years old, but it was a bit of an eye opener to just drive another double cab auto selling for just under 600k, PS, to replace my auto 4x2 with the new spec, still 2litre not v6, is 100k more than what i paid 2 years ago, thats scary, makes a person think, so many double cabs which are actually all so good in different ways.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ezee rider For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hilux black first impressions - Amarok owner

Thanks for the review!!! I actually agree on all your points raised as I noticed similar when testing the Hilux now almost three years back!!

But, all the points were negative for me

Like the heavier steering. Just feels more "solid" and connected
    Love the simplistic dash over the tablet!!! The new Amarok seems to have the same radio as fitted to Swambo's Polo; if so, it is a significant upgrade to what I am used to. Still prefer the minimalist approach
    Agree the 2.8 engine is a beaut. But I disliked the gearbox.
    Agree on ride, and again, I prefer the "softer" ride of the Amarok
    Styling is personal.

Changing again next year and will again go and test drive all available, especially the new Triton!!!! We currently have a great selection of DC's.
    VW Amarok 4Motion Auto
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Hi Nys, no problem at all.

I really expected more heat on this thread, but its refreshing to not have to see "DELETED BY DIRK" posts

ezee, I assume you tested the Auto??

Daai manual tel sy bene lekker op.......you must go drive one some day.

Must agree with you - the 2,8 engine is a beaut, very torquey and RPM's are looooooow, around 2200 at a true 130.

Dont wanna carry on raving here. And yes, it has its weak points. But the engine and cogbox (manual) are magic
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2017/09/12 at 03:04 PM.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

My ervaring baie dieselfde as joune, lekker kajuit , engine ratkas. Spasie bietjie klein na my smaak op agtersitplek en ry bietjie hard vir my. Verder n lekker bakkie, die handrat.

Please consider test driving a Ford. Would be VERY interesting to hear an Amarok owners feedback on the blue-badge.

I have owned the previous Hilux, another friend owns the current Hilux (his third in a row). We were given a Ranger on a site ... had to do more than a 100km of gravel, and similar on tar. We were both VERY impressed ! Only thing that surprised us - the Ranger reached high speeds, yet when you try to pass from 110km/h it is slow to accelerate (think my friend did not floor the pedal properly)

Thanks ezee rider for giving us an objective as possible account of your driving experience....and yes if it wasnt for the looks which i just cant get myself to like im pretty sure i would of enjoyed driving the hilux too. So interesting that a vehicles attributes could be a postive to one person and a negative to the next. We need more write ups like this on the forum.

Hi guys, its a pleasure, Chris, as luck would have it my business partner has the ranger 2.2, its a manual, but i spent a day in it and here are my perceptions:

Ride quality:

Same as new hilux, nice and firm, lots of feedback, steering also light but not as light as hilux.
    Seats: Very nice, harder than amarok, firm but in between amarok and hilux, best of both i would say.
    Does not have as much lower back support.

Dash, cabin:

Unfortunately it seems out dated with the small display screen, but i hear you can upgrade to larger screen.
    Seats are nice, space is good, seems bigger than hilux, hilux almost seems compacted. I think the centre
    consol or dash speedo consol could also do with an upgrade looks wise but thats a small issue. The ride is very solid
    as can be expected and feels quality built. Doors are heavy, slam shut well and general look is very very good.

Engine:

This 2.2 moves! Similar to hilux, power from the get go...but it seems to taper off rather fast, no need to over
    rev it, so basically an inbetween the hilux and amarok. To be honest, at the price, its a win win, it really has
    everything you need and the ride quality is smoother and softer than the hilux, yet firmer than the amarok.

Looks:

The new front end is one of the best of not the best currently, those sharp headlights 'facelift' have transformed the ranger, you really dont need all the plastic add ons, it really is that good looking, what is nice with ford is the availability of mags, wheel arches etc...just a few add ons and it looks mean, flip side is everyone does this, so you think your cab looks different to others, end of the day, they all end up looking very similar.

Conclusion:

The ranger i recon is still the best bang for your buck, especially the 2.2, man or auto, a family member of mine has the wild track 3.2 and the engine is really not that much extra compared to what you pay extra. As i said, both the hilux and ranger 'feel' like bakkies, as that is what they are, the amarok feels like you are floating on a cloud, it really is that smooth.

Guys, these are just my personal views, i never intended to test drive a hilux, but afterwords it really made me think, same with the ranger which i drove last year, i was meaning to post something but now that i see how similar the hilux and ranger are its actually scary, perhaps that is why they 'rangers' are selling so many units...

I will start looking next year as Nys said, perhaps time for an upgrade - perhaps time for a new brand - who knows....

Eezy, that cloud feeling is what is keeping me in the Amarok. After a 1000km I can get out and attend a board meeting. In my Triton I was dog tired.....
    VW Amarok 4Motion Auto
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

I'm not a bakkie guy, but, I'd probably get an Isuzu. This is purely on my perception of it being a cool bakkie. How does a modern Suze stack up against the rest?

Currently enjoying my new platkar: Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    I'm not a bakkie guy, but, I'd probably get an Isuzu. This is purely on my perception of it being a cool bakkie. How does a modern Suze stack up against the rest?
    I learnt to drive on the very first Isuzu's launched in SA.

Who knows, maybe one day ....

But I think what this thread points out - the range of bakkies are now closer than ever !!!

service levels and the small details will become a much greater influence in the buying process .....

Having owned a couple of Toyotas (2 at the moment), I certainly MAY buy Toyota again, but surely WILL test drive others as well (okay, with both of these I actually DID test drive other brands as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post

If, at the time I test drove all, Isuzu could provide the 3L dc 4x4 in auto, I probably would have taken it.
    It is a very good bakkie. It just now severely lags in the technology department
    VW Amarok 4Motion Auto
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Hi guys, up in jhb, flying back today, but drove my partners ranger 2.2 manual, the dark grey with plastic add ons, yes i know i know, looks flippen nice [to me haha] Okay, so lots of time in this bakkie, nice and firm suspension, firm quality feel when you close doors etc..The dash is not out dated, my bad, it actually is very nice, the seats are not leather but comfy, the engine is more than enough, but the look front, back and sides is really nice, so all in all, i must say, for the price as this is an entry level 2.2 but with the add on"s looks like a much more expensive double cab, just my 2 cents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_145155.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	460955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_145147.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	460956  

Just drove the new Hilux to Cape Town and back. I felt it had good power delivery and overall I was impressed. I however found that by the time I got back I was tired and needed a kidney belt, it's ride is hard, really hard and fuel consumption was not exactly something to brag about. The next day I drove the Ranger .. I am not the biggest Ford fan but seriously the Ranger in my opinion is simply way ahead of the Hilux, ride quality, seat comfort and consumption are in another league. Mt choice is the ranger, a mile ahead of the Hilux

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

I was just wondering who on earth markets a vehicle with a black roof in Africa. As if we don't have enough heat. Eish.

Just heard from a dealer a new facelift hilux is being launched soon....very soon, perhaps this year still, led running lights, improved 'softer' suspension, wonder if people complained about the ride Black leather standard, well, full house standard. Thats about all the info i got for now, interesting times...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ezee rider For This Useful Post: