Wellpoint water in solar panels?

Default Wellpoint water in solar panels?

With the current drought, I'm trying to get "off grid" as much as I can with my water.
    Obvious solution is using my wellpoint water for toilet flushing, but I'm considering showers too. Ideally I would only run the dishwasher and kitchen cold tap from the municipality and everything else on groundwater.
    I know that with an electric geyser you get scaling problems on the element, but this is because of localised boiling on the very hot element. To my mind a solar panel will be relatively immune to this given the gentle heat over a large surface area. I'm really missing my long showers so I'm eager to do this but I'm concerned about my expensive solar heaters. What can go wrong?
    Rob
    V8 Defender 90 pickup. Lexus, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 1 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    MG TF160 VVC ZandF remapped
    Buell XB12R

Default Re: Wellpoint water in solar panels?

Step ONE - have the water tested .... Places such a SABS in Liesbeeck Parkway can tell the quality of your water.

It could be "clean", it could be oily and full of iron and mineral deposits (as mine ) or it could have other issues .....

The quality of your water will determine what you could possibly do with it.

I have thought of using rain, or grey or ground water for the toilets .... automating this process is an expensive hobby !! Anything from 5k to R10k to save about R40 per month ... The maths is marginally better if you have more people in the house ,,, similar capital layout, and more savings to be had.

depending on your water quality there are more savings to be made ...

the other very real issue is how your home is piped - some allows you to now cut into one or two items, mostly the piping is chased into the walls and it becomes near impossible to split the system now ....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    the other very real issue is how your home is piped - some allows you to now cut into one or two items, mostly the piping is chased into the walls and it becomes near impossible to split the system now ....
    This is my biggest problem.
    All my shower, basin, bath drains are below ground level and all my plumbing seems to be one pipe into the bathroom and Tees off to shower/basin/bath/loo, so any changes to the plumbing to accommodate a separate feed for the loo is going to be very unsightly if surface mounted or bloody expensive if chased in.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Dont be a bunch of woosies. For the past 20 years we are only using borehole water for everything because there is no municipal water where we stay.
    Defender powered by Isuzu