Which GPS should I get? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which GPS should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    If you need a GPS on a bicycle or when hiking, maybe you should spend more time looking at the topology and doing some old school navigating..........you're missing out on life.
    I like to keep track/record of my hiking and cycling and use the gps mainly for that. However, I have a mapset with most of the hiking trails in the Drakensberg and that is nice for planning and also to check progress and ETA when required.

As for recording tracks, I have records of track logs for the last 10 years or so for over 90% of my daily travels. Even if it is just to the shop😊😊.

I have posted this image before where you will also note some flight track logs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    I like to keep track/record of my hiking and cycling and use the gps mainly for that. However, I have a mapset with most of the hiking trails in the Drakensberg and that is nice for planning and also to check progress and ETA when required.

As for recording tracks, I have records of track logs for the last 10 years or so for over 90% of my daily travels. Even if it is just to the shop😊😊.

I have posted this image before where you will also note some flight track logs.
    like I said, if that is your thing, then fine, buy the 276 or a Montana. But for normal use it's silly spending 2- to 3-times more for a GPS and you'll never use the functionality.

A Montana is around R10k, and a 276cx is R12k.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Have you decided which one to go for?
    No not yet, will post what I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT-s

Includes dashcam, and ability for BC-30 rear camera.

And lots of new features. Got mine last week, so far very impressed.

They have them on the Garmin website.
    Waiting to see a friends before I decide, he's happy with his after his recent Kaokoland trip.
    NJ Vermaak

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D | '79 Geländewagen Cabrio | Bush Lapa Miskruier 136

It depends on how serious you are to discover out of the way places as to what machine you buy. Especially if you would like to create your own tracks and really explore africa.
    And all GPS work better alongside a good 1:50 000 map.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirtrob1 For This Useful Post:

Hi guys.
    The best map app I use is by Here maps (free with offline maps, download Botswana for example). https://mobile.here.com
    Here maps is the old Nokia maps we all remember, just more modern.
    Google maps is useless without a data source.
    Btw Garmin with t4a is best. I use a cheap "Garmin Drive 40LM" with t4a. It works perfectly.

What data source is required for Google Earth? It shows every road, track, shepherds path throughout the world. And easy to create a route or track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrob1 View Post
    What data source is required for Google Earth? It shows every road, track, shepherds path throughout the world. And easy to create a route or track.
    I am not sure that I understand your question correctly. Would the Google Earth data source not be the satellite imagery they captured/utilised?

My opinion is also that this method is for the "explorer" who really wants to travel off the beaten track and not the everyday traveller who needs existing roads to plan on (i.e get fairly accurate ETA's). Admittedly, many exploring can be done by utilising the T4A maps with its road network.

A bit off topic, but I have played a bit with image overlays where I saved an image off Google Earth and imported the image as an overlay to display on my GPS while I am driving. I could load it to my etrex 20, but it did not work on my Nuvi.

I usually use Gaia GPS on my iPad. But it's available for Android OS also. $19.99 and then I have access to many different map layers that I can preload on my device when I'm at home or even access when I'm on the road over 3G/4G LTE. It also supports common GPX + KML files for import/export. I like it because it's more flexible and I'm not stuck to a piece of hardware. The software continually gets updated, there's a web component, I can always upgrade or replace my hardware.

It's kind of fun building routes and also easily sharing routes with friends on the same trip.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kalieaire For This Useful Post:

Google Maps work very well and you can downlowd the maps to your device before you set out on a adventure, to access them ofline for 30 days. No need for a data connection then. Best coverage. Most detail. Work with any smartphone. I even use it on my Truck's big screen through Android Auto.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2