Which Recovery Bridle

Default Which Recovery Bridle

Good Day

So I have a Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D double cab. I plan to eventually fit a alu canopy, with drawers and fridge and water tank.

I would like to purchase a recovery bridle to spread the load when doing a recovery or being recovered. So my question is which one of the bridles below should I go for. Any third suggestion is also welcome.

I understand that the longer a bridle is the more effective it is at spreading the load would the difference really be that significant? Is it worth spending the bit extra on the stronger one. My shackles are rated at 3,25 tons.

1. 4x4 Direct - Securetech 3,5m, Breaking strength 10 500 kg (recommended vehicle weight 2 625 kg)
    http://www.4x4direct.co.za/recovery-...idle&results=3

2. Outdoor Warehouse - Securetech 5m, Breaking strength 16 000 kg
    https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...idle-16ton-x5m

Thank you
    Last edited by ash007; 2017/08/26 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Type o
    Ashley

Toyota Hilux Dakar 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 (2013)
    Toyota Hilux 2.7VVTi D/C (2006) - Sold

Default Re: Which Recovery Bridle

Wouldn't use those for snatching.

Maybe this helps...

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ery-bridle-use
    Last edited by Prof; 2017/08/26 at 07:31 PM. Reason: xtra info

I will go for the longer and higher rated strap. You can always shorten the longer strap, when stuck in mud the vehicle's "weight" is much more compared to sand.

Ash
    For me a longer bridle is only to give a more straight line pull than a shorter one.
    It is important to ensure that the bridle can handle larger loads than the recovery rope or strap itself.
    Instead of the normal bridles, I like to use a proper rated sling, as used in rigging gear
    Nissan Patrol 4800
    x-4x4-partners:...
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8 Hi-Lux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Ash
    For me a longer bridle is only to give a more straight line pull than a shorter one.
    It is important to ensure that the bridle can handle larger loads than the recovery rope or strap itself.
    Instead of the normal bridles, I like to use a proper rated sling, as used in rigging gear
    Thanks Kiri

Thats why im thinking of getting the longer strap because it has a higher rating.
    Ashley

Quote Originally Posted by opsafari View Post
    I will go for the longer and higher rated strap. You can always shorten the longer strap, when stuck in mud the vehicle's "weight" is much more compared to sand.
    Thanks Opsafari

Yes the longer and stronger strap seems to be more versatile. I cant think of a shortcoming or a reason to rather get the shorter strap as apose to the longer stronger one.

Thanks
    Ashley

The longer the better, no question. Please however remember that your recovery points are even more important than your strap, rope etc. Please make sure you have proper recovery points on your vehicle that can handle serious loads, especially if you intend snatching or being snatched. Recovery is dangerous and should never be taken lightly. You are not towing a car on a tar road, in most cases you are recovering a nearly two ton dead weight and this puts serious strain on both vehicles recovery points (and importantly the connection between recovery point and chassis)
    If you are new to 4x4ing and recovery etc I seriously suggest you either do a full blown course or at the very least get some good sound advice about recovery before jumping in the deep end.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    The longer the better, no question. Please however remember that your recovery points are even more important than your strap, rope etc. Please make sure you have proper recovery points on your vehicle that can handle serious loads, especially if you intend snatching or being snatched. Recovery is dangerous and should never be taken lightly. You are not towing a car on a tar road, in most cases you are recovering a nearly two ton dead weight and this puts serious strain on both vehicles recovery points (and importantly the connection between recovery point and chassis)
    If you are new to 4x4ing and recovery etc I seriously suggest you either do a full blown course or at the very least get some good sound advice about recovery before jumping in the deep end.
    Thank you very much for all the advice it is greatly appreciated. Its good to know there are still some people out there looking out for each other and trying to help one another.

I have not done any formal course as yet and I am still planning on doing one in the not to distant future. I have however been studying the forum for a couple of years now. Furthermore I have also watched Andrew St Pierre Whites instructional DVDs more times than I can remember. I also like to watch and learn from Rohny Dale and laugh at Simon and Jase from All4Adventure.

My vehicle has a descent set of recovery points in the rear however I still need to get some rated points installed on the front as the front factory points will only be good for a pull with the bridle and not a snatch. So that is also planned for the not to distant future.

Im not planning on doing anything hectic I just enjoy some Overlanding. So the primary focus now is getting enough saved for a canopy and drawers.

However when I buy some kit I like to try and make the most informed subjective decision I possibly can.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I bought the 16ton 5m bridle.
    Ashley

Quote Originally Posted by ash007 View Post
    Thank you very much for all the advice it is greatly appreciated. Its good to know there are still some people out there looking out for each other and trying to help one another.

I have not done any formal course as yet and I am still planning on doing one in the not to distant future. I have however been studying the forum for a couple of years now. Furthermore I have also watched Andrew St Pierre Whites instructional DVDs more times than I can remember. I also like to watch and learn from Rohny Dale and laugh at Simon and Jase from All4Adventure.

My vehicle has a descent set of recovery points in the rear however I still need to get some rated points installed on the front as the front factory points will only be good for a pull with the bridle and not a snatch. So that is also planned for the not to distant future.

Im not planning on doing anything hectic I just enjoy some Overlanding. So the primary focus now is getting enough saved for a canopy and drawers.

However when I buy some kit I like to try and make the most informed subjective decision I possibly can.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I bought the 16ton 5m bridle.
    A lot of people on this forum dislike Andrew (understatement of the century) Personally I like his DVD's and a lot of very useful information can be gained from them. Just sift through them and learn from him, he is a vastly experienced man. I have been doing 4x4 training for more years than many people have been 4x4ing on this forum and I still refer to his videos.
    Go safe and enjoy the outdoors. Any info needed just PM me.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Faddel For This Useful Post: