EGR valves problems

Default EGR valves problems

My EGR is giving me troubles. I've read a few threads about guys giving advice but need to make my final dissuasion. I've found the following.

Some say
    1. There is no purpose for it as it only uses exhaust air to be re-used in the engine to lower the carbon footprint, and block it off actually will improve performance.
    2. Actually the re using of exhaust gas allows for smaller combustion in the engine that ensures motor to run cooler, and the engine to last longer.

Well know car service performance company has the option to get it blanked off, where they are also approved by franchise car dealerships for there work. Is there then such a risk just to block it off.

3. Another thread I've read there is no purpose in block it off as you can only unplug the pipe coming from the EGR and the one returning to the turbo and block them off. Some vehicles ECU just picks up and error but some vehicles dont.
    4. Some guys suggested a 8mm steel plate to block it off and the other suggested a Aluminum plate. And some talking about drilling a 5mm hole in the plate to release pressure.

Here is my questions.
    Who has done it on there bakkies? And did you experience any troubles?
    Where do you block it off. On the out let manifold or before the EGR valve?
    Who has unplugged the pipes that is going in on the EGR controller?
    Who has taken off there EGR to clean it and put it back again? How do I clean it if I would take it off?

I've got a 2007 Isuzu KB 300 234000km.

Thank you

Default Re: EGR valves problems

I first blocked the EGR valve actuator vacuum line on my 2012 Hilux 2.5 D-4D SRX with a airgun pellet. The EGR valve sensor picked up that it staid closed, and the computer throw me a check engine light.

After driving 20 000 kilometers with the vacuum line blocked off, I permanently blocked off the exhaust gas resurcilating pipe with 1mm thick galvanised plates at both ends. No need however for blocking of both ends.

The check engine light never came back on again after blocking it off permanently as the EGR valve works normally but there is no more dirty exhaust gasses going through it.

I have driven the bakkie for around 40 000 kilometers since, with no side effects what so ever and it now have over 150 000 kilometers on the clock.

The exact same Hilux 2.5 D-4D engines before 2007 did not have EGR and you will find hundreds of them with very high milage still driving around. So in my humble opinion, blocking the EGR valve is not detrimental to the engine in any way. On the contrary, I think it is actually better for the engine.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2017/08/12 at 06:31 PM.

I done mine last week on 3.0 d4d. Put a pellet in the vacuum line. Haven't had any errors or limp modes.

I did actually physically remove the egr valve about a month ago. It was clogged up but not completely blocked. I'm a bit worried about my intake manifold as that was quite dirty but it quite a mission apparently to remove. Cleaned it with petrol and electrical cleaner. Just left it for quite a while for everything to evaporate before reassembling.
    2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0D4D AT 4x4

If you want to understand how the EGR works and diagnose the problem look at these YouTube videos (there are 3 of them) - its the best and simplest explanation I have come across. According to this person the most common problem is a blocked or sooted-up EGR valve.

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVC8qBwQlRw

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Life For This Useful Post:

I've disconnected and closed the pipe from the EGR to the EGR regulator and my bakkie still goes up to 1500 revs and no response on the accelerator.
    Then I disconnected the pipe from EGR regulator to the turbo and closed it off that both pipes to be disconnected and closed off, but still the same issue.

I've read a threat somewhere that the valve controlling the air flow from the exhaust can get stuck open for it being clog up with exhaust dirt, for disconnecting the pipes wont work as its stays open all the time. I assume I need to open it to get it cleaned out then.

On a different thread I've read that apparently there is a sensor on your clutch that if its triggered due to a clutch fault it also goes in a limp mode. I'm due for a new clutch as I've done 235000km with the clutch and the bakkie really did some hard work at the times.

I've I step on the accelerator nothing happens, is that the limp mode everybody is talking about or is there something else wrong when there is no reacting stepping on the accelerator?

MR fox you might help by at least supplying vehicle detail but you have to remember that diesel engines are engine speed regluated by the fuel amount not air. So you can literally leave the manifold open and it won't pick up speed. So depending on the year and what system is controlling the fuelling IE is it mechanical or electronic you might have something like a broken accelerator pedal or a broken cable.
    diesel management systems that use drive by wire might have a failsafe that will keep the motor at 1500 rpm so that at least you could possibly drive somewhere incase the pedal fails. Might be your problem.
    Audi S6 2008 - v10 Quattro
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro
    Audi A4 TDI - 2007 - 2l TDI
    Audi 90 Coupe - 1995 - 2.8l V6 quattro
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDi
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Sorry should recall the model again in that post as i only named it in the first post.
    Its a 2007 Isuzu KB 300

Some serious hijackers!!!!
    Back to OP questions:

My vehicle is meticulously maintained by Dup Diesel in Parow. The workshop blanked off the EGR during a routine service, without me asking. In the case of my donkey 2.5 D4D SRX, it makes a difference - I can now travel up Conterman's Kloof road in 4th gear at 60km/h at 1500 rpm, was not possible before EGR was blanked off. The bakkie actually picks up speed from below 1500 rpm, which was not the case before EGR was blanked off.
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D