Oztent Owners Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Oztent Owners Thread

Thanks for the advice everybody. I better started working on that board now - maybe aluminium "planks"?

Reading your question initially, I also thought about some planks, but then immediately thought they would still bend down too much to be of sufficient value.
    But happy to hear it worked for Mike, so it could be workable for your parameters too.
    You might need to support the "planks" with some I-bar type bars to avoid the planks bending down.
    And you will need to check that your overhang in the back is not too long to be a safety hazard - not sure what the law says the max overhang at the back may be before needing a red flag.

...likely I'm just overengineering here...
    Make it happen!

2010 Conqueror Supra II

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    Thanks for the advice everybody. I better started working on that board now - maybe aluminium "planks"?
    I've personally never been concerned about the tents, I have been concerned about the load on the load bars though. You say yours are cribs of the Oztent, I'm going to assume they are "good" cribs. Oztent will never bend under vibration, but could conceivably fatigue crack.

So take your tent, put it on your shoulder and jump with it. Now try with the "plank". Here's what I suspect:
    - The tent will be pretty rigid. Now a long slender member which doesn't whip, won't fatigue crack. On your roof they will be even more supported.
    - You will be able to get a nice whip in the plank, unless it's something like a railway sleeper.

So you're going to strap your rigid tent to a nice flexible plank, or my experience and assumptions are way off base. Those planks have mass... you see where I'm going with this?

Now test 2. Google Oztent cracking on roof rack. If it's a genuine concern there should be plenty of hits, Oztent is over twenty years old iirc. Now google broken overloaded roof rack. You see where I'm going with this?

Btw aluminum is very flexible, about 3 times steel.

Anyway that's my 5c.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Thanks again guys - This is really useful info.

Hi All,

Update before our trip. Bought two stretchers and took them back the next day. Difficult to set up and very very hard set. As advised I bought two Carmaquip mattresses, look the part and I don't think we will be disappointed.

Question: is a flysheet needed for this time of year in Kgalagadi? Think not but just checking.
    Ross

So, after a 3 week camping trip in the Oztent (West Coast, Au Grabies, Kgalagadi and Mokala), I can happily report back that the CarmaQuip mattresses impressed us. Really cant complain, and in hindsight I'm glad we never took stretchers as well.

The tent was equally impressive and gave us no real problems. Condensation was not an issue at all. Some nights proved a little "fresh" for me though. I think our Cape Storm Blaze 250C sleeping bags were adequate, but we should have taken an extra heavy blanket or two (we had none). I did find that with a reasonable wind blowing, that the side panels moved a bit despite having the guy ropes as tight as possible. I agree with the other comments that the tent itself is quick to set up, but the panels take a considerable mount more time. For the first few days I packed the bag with the panels and extra poles separately on the roof rack, thereafter I just packed them inside with the tent itself.

Something I never really paid much attention to with the rooftop tent was the position of the tent other than under as much shade as possible. I had to change the position of our tent at Mata Mata quickly after setting up because of the gusts of wind in the afternoon. Before setting up, choose your spot, get your chair and table out, open a beer and observe for 30 minutes if you have the time. Then face the door of the tent in the opposite direction to the wind. Wind direction might change but no one enjoys half the Kgalagadi's sand in their tent

Unfortunately, I managed to somehow put a small hole in the one corner of the tent floor. I have no idea if this happened during transit or whilst set up. Will have to get that fixed up soon.

My wife had the idea of taking a piece of fake grass along for the veranda. I wasn't sure about this but went along with the idea. Other than something else to unpack/pack, it proved to be a hit. It acts as the dirt and thorn trap second to none. 2m x 1m is all we needed.

Now, I need to clean the birds business from the roof of the tent. Any tips?
    Ross

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RMackay For This Useful Post:

Ross, how about a trip report with a few pictures!!!?

Bird mess - I have not tried this but am told a light brushing works....
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    Ross, how about a trip report with a few pictures!!!?
    Hi Barry, might post a report once we get through all the photos, but Iíve realized my narrative abilities are shoddy
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Bird mess - I have not tried this but am told a light brushing works....
    With some water? Any soap?
    Ross

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RMackay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    With some water? Any soap?
    We were told use dove soap in water not direct onto tent and gentle rub/scrub so U don't remove the waterproofing ...have done out Tentco often as even with cover birds manage to sh.. .sideways 🤣🤣

16. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick miller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by patrick miller View Post
    We were told use dove soap in water not direct onto tent and gentle rub/scrub so U don't remove the waterproofing ...have done out Tentco often as even with cover birds manage to sh.. .sideways 🤣🤣
    Canít win! Want shade or bird pooh? Comes with the joys I guess
    Ross

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4