Oztent Owners Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Oztent Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    Thanks JP. Do you put anything under the stretcher feet to prevent damaging the tent floor?
    As a rule, no, but in sandy areas I've taken some of those rubbermats which you buy from car spares shops eg Midas/Naskar, and I've cut them in smaller sizes. Those are then put under the stretcher feet, just to be safe.
    Johan Prinsloo

Thanks JP
    Ross

I've had my RV5 for quite a while now. We use it together with the Oztent 3x3 Gazebo, and we have the Wall Set for the Gazebo, also Oztent.

VERY light and airy setup, easy to pitch, and good quality stuff. The RV5 has excellent ventilation and heaps of space.

Only negative is the packing size, both are 2 metres in length.

Bot my tent and gazebo's bags are kaput though, but I'll have something made out of waterproof canvas some time.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    I've had my RV5 for quite a while now. We use it together with the Oztent 3x3 Gazebo, and we have the Wall Set for the Gazebo, also Oztent.

VERY light and airy setup, easy to pitch, and good quality stuff. The RV5 has excellent ventilation and heaps of space.

Only negative is the packing size, both are 2 metres in length.

Bot my tent and gazebo's bags are kaput though, but I'll have something made out of waterproof canvas some time.
    Hi Petri do you have pics of your Oztent gazebo please? I have only seen their "screen room". Do you know if they still make the 3x3 gazebo? I haven't seen it at 4x4 Megaworld who are the importers of Oztent from Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by LC Man View Post
    Carmaquip sells very nice self inflating mattress.Have a look at their fold up bass/stretcher as well.Very comfortable and folds up nicely.You wont be sorry.
    +1 Carmaquip self inflating mattresses are super comfortable. We have a 3x3 dome tent and use the Carmaquips without stretchers

Quote Originally Posted by mike morrison View Post
    RV 5
    Travels on roof rack with lockable tie downs
    Do you have a pic of these please Mike? Thanks

Available from 4x4 megaworld
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3094.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	457258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3095.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	457259  

I must own the only RV-2. Been using it for about 10 years. I added front and side panels.
    Wife and daughter sleep in Landy. (Don't ask)
    Me in the tent but tent mostly used for storing the other stuff

When camping at places where I don't drive daily I add front and side panels to the Howling Moon awn.

But I rarely use that setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by JeeperCreepers View Post
    I noted that most of us have gone the 2 x stretcher route for pretty much the same reasons. Afblaas matrass just does not cut the cheese when you have my girth!

On a separate note. Have any of you suffered broken hinges on your RV frame?
    Baboons in Kenya using the RV4 as a jungle gym bent frame & broke hinges.
    4x4 Megaworld in Hillcrest supplied a new frame for R2400. I tried for individual parts without success.
    Of course, I kept the old frame, and now have 90% spare parts ...
    Last edited by janputte; 1 Week Ago at 08:32 PM.
    Miners are dynamite lovers
    2008 LC diesel 70 Series S/W

10. The Following User Says Thank You to janputte For This Useful Post:

Most stretchers are for people that are two metres tall. I am 1.8 metres and my wife is a bit shorter. I drilled out the rivets on our stretchers, cut 120mm off each end and reassembled using stainless steel screws and nylock nuts. They are now easier to pack, fit our RV4 easily left and right and are comfortable for us to sleep on. I should also mention that my wife restitched the canvas ends to allow for the shorter frame.
    Last edited by Marty Russell; 1 Week Ago at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Russell View Post
    Most stretchers are for people that are two metres tall. I am 1.8 metres and my wife is a bit shorter. I drilled out the rivets on our stretchers, cut 120mm off each end and reassembled using stainless steel screws and nylock nuts. They are now easier to pack, fit our RV4 easily left and right and are comfortable for us to sleep on. I should also mention that my wife restitched the canvas ends to allow for the shorter frame.
    Great idea. Which stretchers are they?
    Ross

One part bent when a friend tried to help but didn't know how the tent is collapsed.

I just cut some aluminum extrusion that will fit the width and trimmed it to fit the thickness. Then I riveted on the side that won't interfere with the slide.
    That was about 8 years ago and no problems further. The mosquito net in the windows are a bit "soft" for Africa in my opinion.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    Great idea. Which stretchers are they?
    There is no maker's name on the beds or the bags. My wife and I cannot remember where we bought them in 2002 for a long safari to Kenya and back. We have used them countless times since then. When we shortened the beds to fit the RV in 2015, we also made the canvas slacker which made them more comfortable. We both dislike sleeping at ground level and as other owners have commented, the storage space underneath is very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Also got the RV-5 with stretches very happy with the setup
    I am just missing the poles for the front flap, don't know where to get these

Visit your local hardware store and purchase two extension poles for paint rollers then modify the top using fittings from a camping store.
    1/4 of the price

Life Is Simple People Make It Complicated
    By doing what they shouldn’t
    And not doing what they Should

Quote Originally Posted by mike morrison View Post
    Available from 4x4 megaworld
    Thanks Mike those look pretty cool! I'll go check them out. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Also got the RV-5 with stretches very happy with the setup
    I am just missing the poles for the front flap, don't know where to get these
    Purchase extension paint roller poles from your hardware store and fit plastic pins purchased from a camping store to the top.
    Very cheap alternative that has worked for me so far. - Greg Whyte

Life Is Simple People Make It Complicated
    By Doing What They Shouldn’t
    And Not Doing What They Should.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhodie vin 48 For This Useful Post:

I bought 2 poles from Outdoor Warehouse. Looks the same as the originals. Was not expensive.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

I bought extra poles at 4x4 Mega World, they are OzTent branded.

We have the RV5 as well as the following:
    Deluxe Peaked Side Panels
    Deluxe Front Panel
    Oztent Floor Saver
    Oztent Fly (We don't remove the fly sheet when folding up the tent, it just folds up with the main tent and still fits in the main bag)

SWAMBO gets cold very easily, and almost died when we tried a blow up mattress in Tankwa last winter, even with a thick space blanket underneath the mattress, hot-water bottle and a blanket on top of the sleeping bags.
    So... our setup is now:
    2x CarmaQuip Medium Mattresses (we push them together and cover with a fitted double sheet to keep them together) - They are amazing and if you ever happen to puncture one, it does not deflate as the high density foam keeps you "aloft" - I manage to roll mine up a bit smaller than they advertise.
    2x First Ascent Ice Breaker Sleeping Bags - bought a left and right hand model so we zip them together. They are worth every cent. We also put a double sheet inside, SWAMBO folded the end of the sheet over and sewed a "pocket" for our feet and also put 4 "buttons" to secure the sheet to the tie points inside the bottom of the sleeping bags.
    We now also take a bunch of those soft foam floor tiles that are used in kids play rooms, which connect together like a jigsaw. These cover the full tent floor (under the mattresses and the open space next to them). The difference that this makes is HUGE. Its great being able to stand on a warm floor when changing instead of the freezing floor. They are big to pack, but very light, so we put them above our heads in the jeep, having used 2 ratchet straps to keep them above the roll bar.

We just got back from some FREEZING nights in the Kgalagadi and SWAMBO was 100% warm all night, no complaints. Happy wife... happy life and happy camping :P We even took a gas heater with as well as a 12V electric blanket just in case, and never even took them out their boxes.
    We love the RV5 and would not change it for ANYTHING.

One problem we had this time though, was that the back window of the RV5 does not "seal" completely as it only has 3 short Velcro strips along the bottom. Quite a bit of sand blew in when the wind picked up. Think I'll be adding more Velcro to prevent this in future.

The bag that the OZTent comes in is really not very robust, and we will need to look for a better solution, hoping to get a waterproof canvas bag made for it.

Oh, and if someone invents pegs that will hammer themselves into the ground.... I'll definitely be buying them

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NonesZA For This Useful Post:

@NonesZA,

Would you say any benefit of using their floor saver over something else? We currently use a tarp as ground cover, which works well. But I have always wondered about the OZtent one.

@Group, some interesting points in this video. Not the usual 30 seconds stuff.
    Make it happen!

2010 Conqueror Supra II

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toccata (Roelof) View Post
    @NonesZA,

Would you say any benefit of using their floor saver over something else? We currently use a tarp as ground cover, which works well. But I have always wondered about the OZtent one.
    The only benefit I see is that when we put the floor saver down, we can accurately see the exact position where the tent and the "front room" are going to sit, as the floor saver is exactly the same size. Helps figuring out how our site is going to be set out, without putting the tent down. This can also be achieved with a tarp, even if it is bigger
    In terms of material/durability etc, I would think that a tarp would be exactly the same, so no point in spending extra money.

We don't camp where there are nice grass sites, so a shade net type floor cover will not do.

We camped once without a tarp/floor saver... ground was wet under tent and was a mess to pack-up as the tent folds in a way that some of the dirt can get on the canvas, we had a cleanup operation when we got home when we setup the tent to dry. Never again, I went out and bought the floor saver right after that, makes a massive difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast